Assassins and Roleplaying

85 Human Warrior
G'day.

Having played on AD for soon a year, among the things I have noticed, some puzzle me, and among them is this: How come every other hunter/rogue/sometimes even a warrior RPs an assassin?

I did not make this thread to say RPing one is wrong, it isn't. But most of these people seem to enjoy promoting their profession in public places, and constantly wear the most cliche of equipment for an assassin. Many also seem to have superhuman combat skill, which I would say is caused by the fact that some people are unaware of what an assassin even is.

So I ask, why is this? Too many Assassin's Creed fanboys? Something else?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Personaly I got my rogue as an assassin and usualy dresses up diffrently now and then.
I base my rogue from WoW and older ninja-sorta films and books, not AC. AC is just taking the leap ahead but indeed it does have some impact on others who compare every assassin they see with AC and therefore doesnt even consider the posibility of anything else then AC.. So it goes both ways.

The people who watches, points and yells "AC fanbois!"
And the people who actually copies a singleplayer game thinking WoW as a single player game and that everything circles around them.
Edited by Akru on 25/11/2011 14:56 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I wouldn't say it's wrong to RP an assassin, but I agree that some people are a little too obvious about it. The best kind of assassins are the ones you'd never expect.
However, I, personally would never RP one, since I don't think that WoW RP lends itself to Assassin RP in the slightest, since most people are reluctant to have their characters killed (understandably so), and there is very little in the way of guilds that would suit an assassin character.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
In AC the Assassin's are more religious.

@Akru, I think I can remember you saying somewhere that your rogue was inspired from the assassin's creed series.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
25/11/2011 14:46Posted by Savonyth
very little in the way of guilds that would suit an assassin character.

I agree on this, most assassin rpers goes down the path of sellswords and mercenaries much more openly then an assassin would.
Altho there is the usual missuderstanding that an assassin is a ninja, they infact have some things incommon but they are NOT the same thing.

Otherwise yes, it is difficult to make them fit into Warcraft lore and universe and all lore-related assassins are gladiators or quite open about their assassination job and I think that is also another factor to why rpers playing assassins are open about claiming themselves to be one.

I will once again say though, that I personaly on my own rogue plays one and I deem myself to be decent at it as for being subtle and sneaking around in various diffrent clothing and using a diffrent flag/mrp profile to avoid metagaming, even though it still happens.

If you plan to play an assassin, do as followed:
Be mindful that people you try to kill might not want their characters dead and this can create troubles ahead of you, contact the person oocly first and arrange something to suit both of you.

@Krom:
Inspired doesnt mean based on. That is where the diffrence is. Inspiried by motives and some (far from all) movements and belives. Using the AC series belief and adapting it to WoW doesnt mean I sole base my character on the series, I lend ideas, adapt and recreate. Nothing more. I also saw my flaw in my first post and fixed it, I expressed myself wrong and if it was missleading I appoligies.
Edited by Akru on 25/11/2011 14:57 GMT
Reply Quote
65 Goblin Rogue
True AC has done alot to promote the wrong image of Assassin's however if you played a real Medieval Assassin. Well it's just not as fun. But yes more real Assassin's please! I was half tempted to make my rogue an Assassin only time will tell if I do :)
Reply Quote
Hunters make effective assasins in the way of snipers
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
@Krom:
Inspired doesnt mean based on. That is where the diffrence is. Inspiried by motives and some (far from all) movements and belives. Using the AC series belief and adapting it to WoW doesnt mean I sole base my character on the series, I lend ideas, adapt and recreate. Nothing more. I also saw my flaw in my first post and fixed it, I expressed myself wrong and if it was missleading I appoligies.

http://www.argentarchives.org/node/58649

On a related note: Assassin doesn't mean 'martial arts and flashy katana'. Far from it. Historically, there is no single 'assassin' from which to base a cliché. The hashasin of middle-ages Syria and Northern Africa tended to roam in mobs and beat white people to death with short clubs before retiring to smoke lots of a certain type of herb. Hardly Assassin's Creed material.

Assassins now, as they're understood, are people who target a single person for elimination, as oppose to the larger enemy force. This can be for money, politics, or any other reason (though usually not personal). I've (briefly) considered making my mage an 'assassin'; since it matches her personality to be a somewhat detached murderer.

However, I shan't. This is for two reasons.

1: Nobody will hire you, because they're probably elite warriors, themselves.
2: Nobody will allow you to kill them.
Edited by Ammerelin on 25/11/2011 16:04 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
^ That looks like such a boring character to RP. You can't go in Silvermoon or Orgrimmar without being fired upon if you're half Quel'dorei-half human. :\ Also, the Bloodfang does no good for them!

Nevertheless, a good assassin would never reveal themselves as an assassin. Walking around in the rogue tiers and huge knives going "HERPDERP I WILL KILL SUM1" is not being an assassin. In fact, it's not even stealthy. That, and no-one wants their character to die, out of the blue, by a rogue who is too up himself to lose a fight in fancy gear.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
25/11/2011 15:58Posted by Ammerelin
http://www.argentarchives.org/node/58649

And this brings us back to my original post.
People instantly goes "AC!" instead of logicaly looking for another origin of the concept.

25/11/2011 16:03Posted by Adanae
^ That looks like such a boring character to RP. You can't go in Silvermoon or Orgrimmar without being fired upon if you're half Quel'dorei-half human. :\ Also, the Bloodfang does no good for them!

Why hang in either?
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
And this brings us back to my original post.
People instantly goes "AC!" instead of logicaly looking for another origin of the concept.

...Predator?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Well, the Cleft of Shadow is a pretty shady place. I'm sure they'd find some shady customers down there if they were Hordies. Same with the Forlorn Cavern in Ironforge.
Reply Quote
25/11/2011 16:03Posted by Adanae
In fact, it's not even stealthy. That, and no-one wants their character to die, out of the blue, by a rogue who is too up himself to lose a fight in fancy gear.

To tell the truth, in most fantasy environments assassins are those herrp-deerp-i-kill-someone folks in tight black leather and usually with two katanas. Fantasy assassin is kind of an extended swashbuckler concept - the a combat expert who goes out fairly openly, gets reputation for being an assassin, and usually kills his opponents through speed, finesse and weapon skill instead of stealth (although stealth may play some part).

Playing a realistic assassin (you have a foolproof hidden identity and favor poisons - practically nobody will ever know you're an assassin and nobody sees you around assassinating anyone, ever) isn't much good in a world of heroic fantasy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
25/11/2011 16:07Posted by Ammerelin
...Predator?

Lovely movie <3
But no. The blueprint I collected and based my own on was from an old army blueprint. I will find a link for you if you insists. Or you can google it.
Reply Quote
1: Nobody will hire you, because they're probably elite warriors, themselves.
2: Nobody will allow you to kill them.

Also, this. It's much more worthwhile to hire yourself out as a spy or an informant, instead. Same stealthy lurking, but you actually get to do something.
Reply Quote
An Assassin as Ammerelin pointed out is not a cloak and daggers character, the word Assassin somes from (excuse my spelling) Hashasin who gained notoreity and fame in the Crusade for thier habit of impersonating villagers and holymen to get close enough to soldiers to attack them when they are unarmed and unprepared though they would often also target ironically villagers and holymen, we gained the concept of Assassins from there with an Assassin or Hashasin being someone who uses some form of deception inorder to target a specific individual or group of individuals....how they do that does not matter, an assassin can be a turncoat in an army paid by the enemy to take down his watch commander...or a group of soldiers using the cover of night to raid an enemy camp...heck some assassins have been simply villagers in revolt getting revenge on thier local baron.

On the part of AC/Ninja assassins, remeber that Ninja is usually thought to mean Assassin (Can't remeber the actual translation) but what you'll find is that they occupied a role in feudal Japan similar to what the Hashasin did in the Crusades as well as serving as a geurilla/light infantry force.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
http://www.007collector.com/bond/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/mp_wrist-gun_movie3.jpg

http://dailygunpictures.blogspot.com/2009/11/antique-wrist-gun.html

http://media.photobucket.com/image/army%20wrist%20weapon/XSexyDemonX/FOAD/Kroenen_by_NZrommel.jpg

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/shockslayer_wrist_flamethrower.jpg

http://images.zap2it.com/images/movie-28914/star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones-14.jpg

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs28/f/2008/159/a/0/Steampunk_wrist_gun_1_by_Hexonal.jpg

http://cdn.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/11-1-2011wrist-mountedcrossbow-300x219.jpg

So, there, I covered most wristweapons you can find on googling it... Fictional, real, working, semi-working, theorycrafting etc.
Let us continue on topic.

25/11/2011 16:12Posted by Waywatcher
Also, this. It's much more worthwhile to hire yourself out as a spy or an informant, instead. Same stealthy lurking, but you actually get to do something.

This is indeed more fun, a lot more fun!
Edited by Akru on 25/11/2011 16:19 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
To be fair I do not see the issue of RPing an Assassin. Why said that they're running around and slaughter players? I have stumbled into assassins before and have used them for RP events with the guild.

But true I can agree with many assassins go for the classic ninja outfit but then again I do not see issues with that since we've Death Knights, Dragons and god knows what around.
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Rogue
I can see many of the pitfalls; for starters, it's not much fun being something if nobody but you, and your employer(s) no that you are in fact an assassin. Well, I suppose it is, but if you create this persona for your character, it feels a bit of a waste to let something so integral as occupation go hidden.

Obviously there is the lack of people willing to die which can be a problem if one wishes to roleplay the stereotypical hired-killer, which I why I agree someone who fill other roles, such as espionage, is a much better alternative. My favourite concept of an assassin is that of the Royal Assassin from Robin Hobb's Six Dutchies, I love how most often the assassin's roles are carried out without death, although death is usually a choice. Instead, he has used non-lethal poisons to quieten a uproarious warrior-maiden, 'prophecy' dreams to turn a confused peasantry-come-nobility into an inspiring beacon of the people and so on and so forth. Barring the mass slaughter of what could be compared to zombies, I can only think of one occasion where he was specifically sent to kill someone, and I shall not spoil that mishap.

I could sing the praises of Robin Hobb's concepts all day, however. I just love the idea of someone working behind the scenes as the hidden hand of the king or whoever else, a sort of unsung hero, or villain, or simply tool as the case may be.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
So, there, I covered most wristweapons you can find on googling it... Fictional, real, working, semi-working, theorycrafting etc.
Let us continue on topic.

The lady doth protest too much.

Please, Akru, you needn't defend the super-sue that your rogue grew to be. You're active on a much more interesting and balanced character, now with more potential; let's not derail the thread with you trying to defend your character, despite you actually saying in the past that your character is modelled on Ezio.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]