What makes you love a tank?

90 Night Elf Warrior
I found a few threads in here that asked "What tank do you like", and the common answer was "non-retarded". However, it gave me a question:

What are the little things that tanks (can) do that makes you want to just keep on playing with him/her?

I'm not looking at the basic simple stuff like "pop shield wall at heavy damage" or "is specced Prot" or such, but the small things like using stuns properly. And not only from a Warrior tank, but any of the 4 tanks. What are things that stick out to you as a sign of a good tank?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I like a tank that remembers there's a healer behind him or her. From looking at the gear and judging what pull size is possible and if cc is needed or not, to keeping track of healer mana, to using cc/stuns whenever possible.

When I'm doing a 5 man on this character, I'd like tanks to just rush in and pick everything up, and just keep aggro off the dps. No worries, you won't die. But when I'm on my 353 priest alt, just doing my first end time heroics, I'd like a CC on those dragonkin packs please tyvm. And don't rush the next pack while I'm drinking my mana back.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Personally I think the best a tank can do is realize that they are part of a team. Their actions have influence on others and other's action have influence on the tank. And everyone's actions has an influence on the healer. If the group is low on health it's really appreciated if the tank can use cd so that I know the tank will be save while I take care of the group.
Using cd's IS important but so is timing. The amount of times a tank has died without having using a single cd are countless and they did not always die to "heavy damage" (on that note: when was the last 5-men boss that had an actual ability that required the tank to use it's cd at x time?) And all things considered that's not so bad. But it get's really annoying when they die without having used a cd and then tell me I should've healed them.

But what I love is a tank that will admit s/he made a mistake. A tank that uses his/her cd's and calls me by my name.
And then you can run around with gear that's unenchanted for all I care.
It's not about skills, it's about attitude =]

And if your attitude is good I will love you.
Edited by Star on 16/12/2011 02:00 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Planning defensive cooldown use ahead, and making sure to actually use all cooldowns "early and often". Don't save them for a rainy day, but make sure to have something up for expected damage spikes. It makes a lot more difference than a lot of tanks seem to realize, and can be done much more cleverly than simply clicking X when there's heavy damage.

That, and watching your positioning so you don't go out of range or out of line of sight. Situational awareness in general, I guess. Picking up stray adds before they can do any damage. Interrupting casters. Keeping an eye on CC.

But regarding that last one, I can give you the thing I hate the most when tanks do:
Obsessively picking up any CCed adds the second it breaks. If I had a cookie for every time a well-meaning tank managed to DoT a CC target just because it was loose for a second, I'd be rather sick of cookies by now. Don't immediately assume that no one else knows how to do their job.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
16/12/2011 01:47Posted by Star
(on that note: when was the last 5-men boss that had an actual ability that required the tank to use it's cd at x time?)
BRC, the armor guy, if you didn't reset it, you needed to pop something at higher stacks. ZA, the bird boss, if the whole flock comes out at the same time, it needs some CDs, especially coupled with fire. ZG, Cat lady, depending on how many cats you take out. I kind of want to say others, but I can't remember any other of the bat here. I don't think there is any dedicated one-shot-ability you need a CD for though.

And keep them rolling, this is interesting stuff!
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Priest
I love.. tanks that don't die, ho ho.

Na but I love when tanks relize you're behind on healing (ie the raid gets lower & lower) and they pop a BAD-AZZ CD so you can catch up on raidhealing!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Tanks who don't rage whenever they die.

A Tank who know what's going on around him.

Tanks who don't rage on me whenever I kill them with my grip.
Edited by Cucianna on 16/12/2011 06:59 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
If the tank is nice (using emotes) and gentle, waiting for the healer and asking for readychecks. If the tank is smart and plays right, if he/she does everything in his/her power to save a person. If the tank is not whining about gear, whipes or time spent.

If all these things above are met, then I love a tank.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
- tanks which have an eye on the healers mana (been quite usual in tbc/wotlk but nowadays many dont -.-)

- tanks which use selfheals (especially when theres heavy splash damage and the healer got to heal the whole group/raid - thus tanks that look at the groups health once in a while instead of their own only (if that))

- pala tanks that actually use Righteous Defense (which most dont)

- tanks which adjust their 'pulling' style according to the abilities of the group (like use CC when the healer/dps are struggeling or go 'all in' once they see the group can handle it)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I love a tank specifically when it's my GF! :)
Reply Quote
23 Blood Elf Priest
A quiet tank.
Edited by Dorus on 16/12/2011 10:15 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Any tank that does not stand in fire.

Or poison
Or voidzones
Or earthquakes
Or Spikes
Or Lava
Or a Holy zone
Or Waterspouts
Or Impact zones
Or Zomg obvious zone of impending doom

O wait! No they can stand in holy zones, as long as it's mine!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
except the obvious avoiding standing in stuff, turning mobs and so on. I love a tank who gives that little extra, like moving back into efflo so that the melee dps get covered and such.
A tank that keeps an eye on your mana every now and then..

a tank that cares <3
Reply Quote
16/12/2011 08:06Posted by Moondrip
f the tank is nice (using emotes)

Wth has happened to the world?
It's perfectly possible to be nice without using emotes, and to be an !@# using them. They have virtually nothing to do with each other.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Tanks that pull what they're healer can handle. :)
A tank who pulls one pack at a time and let's 5 seconds pass by before every pull is in my eyes not for me. Sure it's safe, but I can easily handle more.

My favourite tanks are tanks who make me work, so go ahead and pull 2 packs, go ahead and pull a new pack after only one or two mobs of the last pack are alive.

I like saving lives, I like being pleased with myself and I like working my !@# off, knowing I did a good job. :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage

But regarding that last one, I can give you the thing I hate the most when tanks do:
Obsessively picking up any CCed adds the second it breaks. If I had a cookie for every time a well-meaning tank managed to DoT a CC target just because it was loose for a second, I'd be rather sick of cookies by now. Don't immediately assume that no one else knows how to do their job.

If the cc'r knew his job je'd re cc before it broke. The tank is covering for others mistakes here.

The other scenario is that the cc breaks and said npc gets mad at a dps. The dps usual reaction is "omg omg omg maybe if I hit that npc really hard a few times he'll go and aggro the tank" *proceeeds to hit baddie really hard a few times*

I know why the tank picks up mobs coming out of cc asap )
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Shaman
When they admit their mistakes =]

but what i can't stand, is when they run out of my Healing Rain. You know the pretty blue thing on the floor? you can stand in that =]
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Patience and a good attitude.

Tanks that pull what they're healer can handle. :)

Also this.^
Reply Quote
4 Night Elf Druid
16/12/2011 08:18Posted by Rellik
(been quite usual in tbc/wotlk but nowadays many dont -.-)

They didn't in Wrath of the Lich King. That's where the problems started; tanks never looked or listened because they simply didn't have too. For the most part, they were invincible and they absolutely knew it.
Reply Quote
20 Goblin Shaman
I like tanks that:

- are druids
- chain pull
- have brains
- take their job seriously
- have good reflexes
- trust the healer
- admit they failed and will leave the group/raid if needed
- don't click
- don't backpedal
- don't give 5 minutes long explanations why they failed + with bad english
- don't say "We will down it now" after every wipe they've caused
- don't go drama-mode and "you're so negative"-mode when I give them criticism

~ Completely opposite to our main tank atm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]