How many MBs of internet does WOW use?

(Locked)

1 Goblin Shaman
Hello, folks.

I am a bit slow when it comes to technology, but I recently discovered you could connect to the internet via the mobile internet I get on my mobile phone (a HTC).

I have now successfully connected to the internet, and am able to play WoW at around 40-60ms on both home and world... things.

Then I realized, surely World of Warcraft requires an awful lot of MB of data to play?

I think my contract is 1 GB of internet per month, along with minutes and texts of course, however.

How many hours of WoW playtime, if the playtime even exceeds an hour, would I get off my 1 GB allowance? I raid 25 man three times a week, and just generally play on the game a few hours each day. Can anyone give me some general ideas? I know there will be a massive number of other things that will affect the amount of MB WoW uses, however, someone must have a ballpark figure?

Thanks!
85 Gnome Warlock
Have a look here

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2912882510

The general consensus seems to be that WoW isn't very data intensive, of the order of 10-20mb per hour of play.
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
85 Worgen Druid
It really depends on what you are doing. When raiding, my data usage from WoW alone easily gets to 60MB + per hour, but generally speaking, it can be between 10-20MB if you are not doing anything that may cause your connection to do more.

WoW is indeed not a very bandwidth-intensive game.
85 Human Death Knight
You can play WoW on a HTC?

WHAT?
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
85 Worgen Druid
Please also be aware that use of mobile connections to play this game is not supported, and as such, Blizzard cannot provide you with assistance if you run into issues with it.
90 Night Elf Priest
You can indeed use your mobile phone to act as a modem for your PC, but I wouldn't recommend that kind of connection for an MMO... especially not if you're raiding or dungeoning. You risk wasting other people's time if you run into issues.
73 Worgen Druid
Your provider may let you see your current usage on their website. Orange in the UK does.

You can install software to monitor it too from the computer side, though be mindful of what you are downloading!
85 Draenei Shaman
When me and my girlfriend moved in together earlier this year, we had to wait ages for an engineer to come and fix our landline, and during that time, we got a short contract, 3G broadband dongle each to play wow on.

Per month we probably averaged about 1GB/month each raiding 3-4 nights a week, however thats all we could do. Ventrilo ate up too much bandwidth to use (which sucked for hm firelands, but we didn't exactly need it) and we had to forget alt raids, dailies etc., disabling addons like recount and dbm because they used extra bandwidth, not to mention being cautious with web browsing and downloading, and streaming videos was out of the question.

Then we had to deal with rubbish service. A fair amount of time the latency was fine, probably 100ms average, however in the evenings it hovered about 200ms if we were lucky, and had plenty of random spikes and disconnects.

Personally I really wouldn't recommend it at all.

This was Orange in the UK btw.
Edited by Turkeyshock on 22/12/2011 09:57 GMT
86 Blood Elf Priest
I would love to see a list of UK ISPs who charge for excess usage, but don't provide any way to gauge your current usage.

More OT, yes, my HTC can also do this, you set your phone up as a wireless hotspot that your PC can connect to. Wouldn't recommend it though, the lag would be terrible.
90 Human Priest
You can play WoW on a HTC?

WHAT?

Yes, htc-phones have become quite strong lately.

But in all seriousness, no, he just connects his pc to internet through his phone.
85 Draenei Priest
just questing isn't bad, 5 mans etc aren't that bad either but more intensive, situations where you're in an environement where a lot of players are moving around are more data intensive ( ideling in sw city in trade district )

Posting auctions / emptying mailbox is quite heavy on the bandwith aswell.

Basically anything that "creates" server events that need to be sent to your client creates data usage.

These events are other players movement / actions ( SW city, 5 mans, Raids, Battlegrounds )
and auctionhouse / mail.

It would take far less data usage to do archeology for an hour then to post 200 auctions. I easily grab around 600 mb / day in data usage from wow. I would not reccomend playing on a 1 gig capped plan, unless you're someone that only plays for about 1 / 2 hours each day.
90 Night Elf Druid
I ran some diagnostics to log the network usage, note that this is only WoW traffic and I only played one Alterac Valley and I did the Ironforge daily killing Greench, so after that I stopped recording and looked at the statistics, the results were:

It uses around 2048 when you do stuff alone with not many people around you, I was on a flightpath so this included loading new objects, NPCs, e.g. But, once you go Alterac Valley the average goes up to 10240 at worst, that is bytes per second.

So one minute of playing is 0.1171875 and best, 0.5859375 at worst.
One hour of playing is 7.03125 at best, 35.15625 at worst.
12 hours of playing is 84.37500 at best, 421.87500 at worst.
24 hours of playing is 168.75 at best, 843.75 at worst.

If you wish to raid I would say you could maybe raid 4 raids or something, hard to put an exact number. I can do this using LFR and check how much data I use whole LFR from start to finish (whole DS) and tell you those numbers, maybe it will be more accurate for raiding environment. :P

But in any case, the game hogs up around 35 megabyte per hour in Alterac Valley.

At idle times, in Ironforge with no one and such it only uses 128 bytes per second, so 10 megabyte for a whole day just being AFK with near none around you. Fun trivia. :P

Note, 35 megabyte is one thing but bandwith is usually measures in megabit so 35 megabyte is multiplied by 8 and is 280 megabit. Just keep that in mind, when you go byte -> bit you multiply by 8, if you go bit -> byte you divide by 8.
Edited by Database on 22/12/2011 11:57 GMT
90 Worgen Druid
22/12/2011 11:56Posted by Database
, I was on a flightpath so this included loading new objects, NPCs

You provide useful information.

As for this quote, though, you should know that objects and NPCs load up from the harddisk. It's only the NPC's position and action at the time that loads through the internet.
90 Night Elf Druid
22/12/2011 11:56Posted by Database
I ran some diagnostics to log the network usage, note that this is only WoW traffic and I only played one Alterac Valley and I did the Ironforge daily killing Greench, so after that I stopped recording and looked at the statistics, the results were:

This is not enough data to do an estimation, so your estimation for "worst case" (highest bandwidh used) is very low. Danellos' number, over 60MB/h is much more accurate estimation for raiding. There are many factors though, how fast you pull, how long you raid, how much you idle, etc, so your numbers may be different. I'd say 3 25-men raid nights will use up more than the half of the OP's 1 GB plan.

When I measured WoW traffic it was usually between 180-200 MB for 3+ hours of 25-men raiding.
And don't forget to untick the checkbox "Optimize bandwidth for speed" in settings, because this option can easily triple the traffic consumption, especially in battle.
I'm also sitting via 3G modem and spending on WoW 200-300 mbytes per raid-heavy day. When leveling an alt (primary quests) that's really just 10-20 mbytes per hour. Also, don't sit in Orgrimmar/Stormwind, the traffic consumption is heavy, especially near auction house. Shattrath is much better option.
Community
Thanks everyone for contributing in this thread.

I'd like to add that 3G connections are not supported and should you experience issues while using 3G connection we will recommend that you connect to a more stable, landline based internet connection.

As for the bandwidth it is difficult to tell you how much you will need as this is entirely dependant on what you are doing in game and what addons you're using. Best way to find out how much your usage is when playing wow, would be to test this over a period of a month and see the internet usage in your bill/statement.
90 Night Elf Druid
22/12/2011 13:54Posted by Samimasi
It's only the NPC's position and action at the time that loads through the internet.

Yes, I meant to say that. The server sends the client what object to load where and if it moves like a NPC it sends movement data for each NPC in packets, so this increases the amount of data transferred over the network the more stuff come into picture and move around, before they disappear.

This is not enough data to do an estimation, so your estimation for "worst case" (highest bandwidh used) is very low. Danellos' number, over 60MB/h is much more accurate estimation for raiding. There are many factors though, how fast you pull, how long you raid, how much you idle, etc, so your numbers may be different. I'd say 3 25-men raid nights will use up more than the half of the OP's 1 GB plan.

When I measured WoW traffic it was usually between 180-200 MB for 3+ hours of 25-men raiding.

I agree it's not something universal, just from that one experience that I mentioned the data was taken from. Still it indicates more than just assuming and guessing, like I first did before logging anything I guessed something way off what I found. :D

In short what I can say, chances are you will spend your 1GB in half month or less, so it's not optimal. Also don't run addons with background traffic, if they sync all the time you use more bandwidth to send and receive addon data. So consider this as well.

*Edit*

Ran a LFR, no wipes, all first time kills, including trash. Average bytes per second was 9344 and it took me nearly exactly 1 hour to do the whole first part of Dragon Soul, hence 1 hour ~= 32MB of bandwidth.

I didn't use background syncing addons of any kind to reduce the load on purpose, no heavy duty communication going on, only the game default routines.

You can debate the accuracy but it will vary, in my situation it used 32MB in LFR for 1 hour (full first part only), I idled Stormwind shortly after (~200 people in the city) at the hotspot where most are, the game used about 5120 byte per second and I idled about an hour so 1 hour ~= 17.5MB of bandwidth used for idling in one of the biggest places with most people.

You can do the math yourself, I think this is one of the best scenarios that can happen, if you like to be safe double the values so you consider wipes and waiting times for replacements, roughly you will at average spend 96MB of bandwidth per raid, plus 2 hours of dailies and idling can take around 35MB more so you'd spend 131MB per day at average.

In guild you don't LFR so you do more tries, more wipes, more waiting, quickly one raid stretches across several days, I remember I raided 4 hours and 3 days a week roughly to finish one new raid (progress raids), so if you extrapolate you can estimate about 128MB per day just for raiding, quickly turns into 384MB per week, before you know it you will spend 1GB in the first two weeks and probably earlier, and this is not even including dailies, random idling, having fun, battlegrounds, e.g. :P

Disagree if you like, I just told you how I think things would go down based on what I experienced in the LFR. :P
Edited by Database on 24/12/2011 00:29 GMT
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks everyone for contributing in this thread.

I'd like to add that 3G connections are not supported and should you experience issues while using 3G connection we will recommend that you connect to a more stable, landline based internet connection.

As for the bandwidth it is difficult to tell you how much you will need as this is entirely dependant on what you are doing in game and what addons you're using. Best way to find out how much your usage is when playing wow, would be to test this over a period of a month and see the internet usage in your bill/statement.

i have been using a 3g dongle for the last 9 months, im prolly one of the most stabile in my guild, always below 100ms home/world. im not even supposed to be able to connect here, but wire in the dongles antenna port did the trick, 40-90% strenght.

i got unlimited data (192,83GB this month), so cant say how much pr month, but i can log the connection for a normal day (raid, dailys and HC's) for wow only, and post a reply monday with the result.

Edit: i pay 20EUR/month
Edited by Zillà on 24/12/2011 04:39 GMT
90 Night Elf Warrior
i use my Sony xperia S and this thread has helped me with this ?. also for those of you getting bad ms when useing HTC wireless hot spot. I would recomend you use USB tethering as thats what i use and my ms is always between 46/50 ms both world and home
Customer Service
Glad to hear the thread helped but please don't bump old threads :)
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]