Does Fps Affect DPs?

79 Undead Warlock
When I ran LFR today my computer was running at a very steady 5 fps. With me doing about 17k dps on average on a demo lock. Does Fps affect dps?
Reply Quote
No. As long as you keep pressing the buttons, the game will just go on and you will attack your enemy.
FPS is just a measurement of how fast/good your image will be projected on your screen.
Well... If your FPS is like 10, it probably would affect your DPS because you won't see what you're doing ;)

E.g. I was in a battleground and my FPS dropped to 6. Well, I was pressing all kind of buttons (the attack one :p) but when my FPS stabilized I was dead...

Useful thing to know: the human brain sees/processes only 60 FPS ;)
Edited by Khárzak on 28/12/2011 22:13 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Ace
fps can effect dps yes if your lagging due to poor fps you will miss global cooldowns and such so it can have a big effect.
Reply Quote
6 Undead Mage
Lower fps generally causes poorer play wich also means less dps. This because its hard to quickly react to stuff if your screen is a slideshow.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Depends on why your FPS is low.
Generally, yes. Can be marginal, and can be a great impact.
If the game as a whole slows down - happened to me once because of a background application - then it may also increase your latency (mine was going up from 50 to 1000ms). Not because it ruined internet connection :) but because somehow it took so much for the game to process things.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
28/12/2011 22:10Posted by Khárzak
Useful thing to know: the human brain sees/processes only 60 FPS ;)

Well, no, that's your screen :P
Actualy, quoting from wikipedia:
The human eye and its brain interface, the human visual system, can process 10 to 12 separate images per second, perceiving them individually

considering that that's a single eye and we recive synced datas from both, I'd say that humans can't see the frame rate drop 'till 20-24 fps
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
I find low fps really messes up my rotation badly zon'ozz is a regular offender abilities regularly getting skipped and annoying extra steady shots getting out when their not needed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I play @ 3 fps most fights and still manage to do over 33k dps, so not a 'massive' loss. However, with my FPS issues i'm underpreforming as i could do more. So yes, FPS does affect your DPS.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
In TBC, I was playing Warlock, so shadow bolt shadow bolt shadow bolt all the way, and when I upgraded my PC from one with 3-5fps to one with 20+ on most fights, my DPS increased by around 15-20%. It surely does affect it, I guess how much depends on your class and spec.

As a healer you obviously lose time too if your FPS sucks. When I was doing Anub'arak in Trial of the Crusade on a !@#$ty computer, I had trouble reacting to the whatever icy debuffs they were, simply because my 2-3fps made my spells actually start casting like 0,5sec-1sec after pressing the button, meaning my heals landed after it had already ticked. After zooming all the way in, only seeing the ground, I had no problems healing people in time.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
FPS affects dps. It does not allow you to properly time your dots, your nukes and long run you will run some casts short. Yes, my warlock can do quite good dps, but as I always have FPS and ms issues, then on periods I have better fps, my dps gain is notably higher. In fact FPS affects my damage done so much that, at days I have fps problems, I change character to play i.e. balance, who suffers much less from fps problems than warlock.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
As a game developer I can tell you very low fps will affect your dps for the simple reason is when you hit a button the skill is activated on the next frame so normally your frames are so fast you don't notice this lag at all but if the fps was fairly low it would take alot longer for your skills to activate thus lower dps.

5fps is 5 frames a second which means it'll take 1/5th of a second to activate a skill
if you were running at a good 40fps it would be 1/40th of a second a much smaller time thus faster.
The difference is small in real time but it does add up
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Depends on the class and spec. An arcane mage isn't much effected by fps drops, but a Spriest is very much effected by it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]