What amount of haste should I go for as Survival?

90 Worgen Hunter
I have the 2 piece t13 bonus (hopefully will get the 4 piece in the next few weeks) so what amount of haste should I be aiming for? and if i'm over the recommended number and I can't reforge haste to crit should I reforge it to mastery?

any help would be appreciated!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Survival is pretty straight forward compared to other specs, because we got a flat cap on haste.

Haste= 20% cap
Hit= 8% cap
going above 20% is a waste, since you cannot go below the 1,5 sec global cd. alot of math involved which i can't really explain.
Mastery and crit is what you reforge into, if you have to much haste/hit.
This is a bit more tricky, since you can't see one stat alone.
reforging everything to mastery and your crit rating sucks
reforging everything into crit and your mastery sucks
So try to find a middle ground here.
I have tryed getting mastery on every single item, and i am quite happy with it
Word of advice here: the current 3 new hc's will hold plenty of hit/haste, in fact i am way over cap. so don't go buy hit/haste gems, you will waste money.
Edited by Mojodishu on 30/12/2011 14:16 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Is that 20% including patting? What about taking raid buffs into account? I've always played MM so SV is very new to me!

Thanks for your help :-)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
30/12/2011 12:25Posted by Mojodishu
going above 20% is a waste

30/12/2011 12:25Posted by Mojodishu
i can't really explain.

29/12/2011 22:59Posted by Strikefang
I have the 2 piece t13 bonus (hopefully will get the 4 piece in the next few weeks) so what amount of haste should I be aiming for? and if i'm over the recommended number and I can't reforge haste to crit should I reforge it to mastery?

Reforge Everything to Crit or Mastery. Preferably Crit (Yes it should sim higher than mastery). The surplus haste would be a bonus and not a fudgeing waste as other's claim. If you can't reforge haste to crit, then Yes. reforge it to mastery.

(Not everyone is min-maxing here Biscuits. keep 757 haste despite getting better gear and prove me wrong in my statement, i dare you)
Reply Quote
2 Blood Elf Paladin
I might be wrong here, but didn't they change the hunter GCD to 1 second? :)

Personally I'd make sure to get 8% hit, the prioritise like this; Crit > Haste > Mastery. According to most simulations and spreadsheets Haste has a bigger value than mastery, though the difference is small.

I suggest you read through this if you want to know more, and the reasoning behind it;

http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/2011/03/sv-hunter-rotation-haste-plateaus/

Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Hunter
Haste is useless once you get 2 set T13 reforge it all away to hit, crit and mastery. The 20% haste cap doesn't mean anything because you wont be using 3x cobra shots between each explosive shot, it will cause you to focus cap.

You will be casting less cobra shots and more instants so mastery is better. Your rotation will be something like explosive - arcane shot 1-2 times to dump focus - cobra x2 - explosive.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Haste is useless once you get 2 set T13 reforge it all away to hit, crit and mastery. The 20% haste cap doesn't mean anything because you wont be using 3x cobra shots between each explosive shot, it will cause you to focus cap.

You will be casting less cobra shots and more instants so mastery is better. Your rotation will be something like explosive - arcane shot 1-2 times to dump focus - cobra x2 - explosive.

You cant cast 2 arcane and 2 cobra between ESs unless you have around 2400haste rating, so it will be 3 shots as a general rule between ES. Sometimes 2CS-1AS, sometimes other, this ofc depends on whether or not you have 2 parts t13 else some rotation wont be possible focus wise.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Hunter
30/12/2011 19:04Posted by Athel
You cant cast 2 arcane and 2 cobra between ESs unless you have around 2400haste rating, so it will be 3 shots as a general rule between ES. Sometimes 2CS-1AS, sometimes other, this ofc depends on whether or not you have 2 parts t13 else some rotation wont be possible focus wise.

Exactly. It changes thanks to Thrill of the Hunt too, it's a touch and go situation. Like people mentioned with the 2p t13 haste becomes our least prioritised secondary stat, however saying it's entirely useless above 20% is incorrect. We still benefit from the stat, not to mention it scales more or less 1:1 for the pet.
Edited by Tharmod on 30/12/2011 19:21 GMT
Reply Quote
93 Blood Elf Hunter
30/12/2011 19:04Posted by Athel

Your right i was probably doing it during my haste trinket procs because i still have the hungerer trinket.

You need 2264 haste exactly to get 1.5 sec cast time on cobra shot so that could be a cap to reach but you wont always have enough focus for 2 arcane shots between explosives so might not be worth it.
Edited by Silvara on 30/12/2011 19:31 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
30/12/2011 19:28Posted by Silvara
You need 2264 haste exactly to get 1.5 sec cast time on cobra shot so that could be a cap to reach but you wont always have enough focus for 2 arcane shots between explosives so might not be worth it.

Problem with that "cap" would be the sacrifice you'd have to make in order to reach it without either trinkets or cooldowns, Now with starcatcher Compass it's possible i suppose. But it would still be temporary.

Interesting discussion nonetheless.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
It is definitely worth going for the higher haste cap (~2400 to include latency). As stated it is only worth getting if you are not sacrificing too much crit. This is done by having all gear itemised with haste+something else.

This is how to gear once you are approaching a complete best in slot set.

It is a substantial amount of DPS gain. Especially considering that most fights last for 6 minutes or more, the amount of time spent hasted is fairly small compared to Marksman (Rapid Fire on a 5 minute CD and Bloodlust)

I would predict that the gain would be around 2-5k DPS over the normal gear set-up. Bearing in mind that this is near best in slot.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
all you need is enought haste to do 2CS 1AS between ES
low haste build vs high haste build there a diff of around 200dps
and yes reforg haste to mastery
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]