Graphics in wow

90 Gnome Rogue
People still talking in this outdated thread about graphics. Not to mention OP comparing two different games to each other.

People, stop talking. /end-thread
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
I think WoW looks just fine. You are also being selfish if you forget the reason WoW has low graphics - for those with lower spec PCs.

Also graphics don't make a good game.

Yep, why at the time some of the first gen Playstation games didn't play that well compared to say a N64 game catalogue at the time.

Graphics are one thing but if you don't have the gameplay just right then it makes for a very frustrating and unenjoyable experience.

Mind you, I remember all the fuss that came about when I thought that animation wise that Zelda: Windwaker looked fine compared to that very choppy but still an excellent game as it had the gameplay part right. Zelda: OOT.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
03/01/2012 16:01Posted by Tobii
players play Skyrim cuz of the good graphic

It may look nice but i hated the gameplay,the swinging did feel real but i preferred the combat style of oblivion,felt more fluid

loose

You made me lost interest because you decided to use that meme

I have spoke with a GM and he totally agree with me. If you don't belive me, suit yourself

Then that GM had have been fired by now because Graphics do not make a game,sure they are cartoony and have not-so-amazing texture quality,but at least it looks unique in it's own way

Besides i prefer simple over the big mega blockbuster graphics of Battlefield 3,sure i like far cry 3 for it's amazing graphical work but that's because it's an open world game,i love open world games,especially if it has GUNZ!
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
18/12/2012 10:56Posted by Jonní
I know I'm helping doing what I'm trying to stop, but this is a nine month-old thread. Necroing is against the rules, and there has been a blue post on why there won't be a mass over haul. All you've achieved is a likely report, and a lock.

Constructive feedback which adds to the discussion is considered okay
and preferable over creating new threads.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Everybody likes a pretty looking game. I think that it would harm the games performance to much.
I have always wanted them to run Twin clients. The one we have now and a good looking one.
That would be a nightmare though! So in fairness, I feel it would harm to many players now as a midrange card is still over £100.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Holy ****ing necro.

The only thing wrong with MoP's graphics is that the draw distance is so short. MoP is beautiful in every way but sometimes when you're standing at a mountaintop on a clear day - like standing on Mount Everest in sunny weather, you would expect to see almost all of Pandaria in an absolutely epic view, but you can't due to a giant wall of fog.

There's a tool on the web which allows you to expand the view distance through unofficial means. Would like to see something officially supported.

Also, some of the older character models are getting seriously outdated, but I know they're working on this.
Edited by Ishaye on 18/12/2012 13:13 GMT
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
18/12/2012 13:12Posted by Ishaye
but sometimes when you're standing at a mountaintop on a clear day - like standing on Mount Everest in sunny weather, you would expect to see almost all of Pandaria in an absolutely epic view, but you can't due to a giant wall of fog.

Actually you wouldn't be able to see Pandaria at all since it would be somewhere
insdide a home on a tiny computer screen.
Reply Quote
Community
WoW’s graphics engine is updated from time to time, and it’s a very efficient one, it’s not as out dated as some of you might think, don’t mistake purposely stylized cartoon looks with bad graphics. Also, bad graphics is very subjective, if you mean it in technical terms, everything will always end up having bad graphics, it’s only a matter of time. If you mean the art itself is bad, then that’s a valuable opinion, but opinions are highly subjective, and I have to say I strongly disagree.

This topic has been addressed on another thread very recently, if you're curious about it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5967338478?page=2#26
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Druid
18/12/2012 12:53Posted by Zazkya
I know I'm helping doing what I'm trying to stop, but this is a nine month-old thread. Necroing is against the rules, and there has been a blue post on why there won't be a mass over haul. All you've achieved is a likely report, and a lock.

Constructive feedback which adds to the discussion is considered okay
and preferable over creating new threads.

That's true, but it has already been stated. The Blue post before this current one is a TL;DR of a huge one from a thread made less than a month ago. I also see little to no point going back 9 months to post a wall of text that probably contributes nothing to a thread, which has already been answered.

As I say, I do agree with what you say. But it gets tedious, and I like to warn before the inevitable happens ^^
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Wow on full ultra with 1080p resolutions looks pretty damn good, Though imagine what spell effects and cloth armor/cloaks would be like with physx ^^

Did I dream a release before mop that they were updating cloak/cloth to look more natural anyway? did it get canned? Is it in and I'm blind?

Not so much an update but something I wouldn't mind seeing graphics wise, as armor durability degraded the model/texture reflected this, cloth got torn and ripped in places, maybe even scorched. mail was a bit broken, maybe one of the shoulder ornaments or one of the many many horns got knocked off and plate gets dented and dulled etc.

Edit: to add, please just don't make wow require any more cpu :< the game runs worse now than when I had my athlon xp 2600+ / radeon 9800 pro (searing gorge/BWL crashy crashy?) in vanilla.
Edited by Ricchan on 18/12/2012 13:48 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
18/12/2012 13:26Posted by Taepsilum
Also, bad graphics is very subjective, if you mean it in technical terms

I disagree with this.

Bad technical graphics just means fewer pixels, fewer polygons, fewer details, fewer decals, shorter draw distance, etc.

It might be an artistic choice to limit these things, and that's completely fine, and I have no problem with the fact that WoW does this.

However I hope you didn't mean that being able to see almost nothing from Mount Neverest is actually part of the artistic direction.

I see the cinematics as the ultimate expression of what the Warcraft style is supposed to be. It's all about exaggerated features, large vistas, cartoonish characters (in both behavior and looks), and colorful expressions of emotion.

WoW's cinematics don't have a low polycount... really.

I mean I agree that it's dangerous to take a player model and change the way it looks, but simply tessellating them doesn't lead to these kinds of problems.

Also, the large vistas are really absent. WoW's draw distance is fine for the most part, but when you get to really high points on the map or fly over the landscape it feels really closed off in a very bad and un-Warcraft'y way. I'd love to be able to see Mount Hyjal behind the tree crows in Ashenvale, or scout out Teldrassil from Hyjal, or see the Crossroads from Thunder Bluff, see the southern shores of Pandaria from Mount Neverest, etc.

Of course certain things should be surrounded by mists. That's fine. I mean it is the Mists of Pandaria. You do this with actually rendered fog. That's how it's done nowadays.

This whole draw distance thing with fog in front of it is useful for rendering atmospheric refraction at long distances and not really for anything else. In the real world draw distances are typically 30-40km mostly due to the curvature of the earth.
Edited by Ishaye on 18/12/2012 13:51 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
skyrim is a single player game wereas world of warcraft is a mmorpg something totally different and lets say for instance blizzard upgraded the graphics engine to something like unreal and pow massive major graphic upgrade but then omg my mate down the road who is running an old pc with cheap componats in it cant suddenly run the game anymore and they cant afford to upgrade so they lose out and thats £8.99 blizzard loses then again I bet theres at least 9 million wow gamers like that and overnight your bg becomes empty OP so my guess is that having good graphics isnt the bee's knee's but game content and fluid lag free game play is as your aware that if your a gaming company that is using say unreal then your expected to produce high end graphics all the time but can lead to unexspected problems with tearing etc anyway wows graphics is balanced out just right also if your running say 200 addons for example your game will lag bbig time thus reduce them i only use 1 yes 1 for my auctions and when im not in the ah iut gets turned off and i still have an edge over others I've no lag ever :P
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
18/12/2012 13:59Posted by Druidinas
skyrim is a single player game wereas world of warcraft is a mmorpg something totally different and lets say for instance blizzard upgraded the graphics engine to something like unreal and pow massive major graphic upgrade but then omg my mate down the road who is running an old pc with cheap componats in it cant suddenly run the game anymore and they cant afford to upgrade so they lose out and thats £8.99 blizzard loses then again I bet theres at least 9 million wow gamers like that and overnight your bg becomes empty OP so my guess is that having good graphics isnt the bee's knee's but game content and fluid lag free game play is as your aware that if your a gaming company that is using say unreal then your expected to produce high end graphics all the time but can lead to unexspected problems with tearing etc anyway wows graphics is balanced out just right also if your running say 200 addons for example your game will lag bbig time thus reduce them i only use 1 yes 1 for my auctions and when im not in the ah iut gets turned off and i still have an edge over others I've no lag ever :P

It's true that there is a wide variety of computer setups and some can run the game and some cannot.

That's why we have settings panels!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAk4XVRKq78

This accomplishes what I'm talking about but with a really ugly hack that doesn't try to reduce the level of detail at long distances, thus causing severe FPS loss and crashing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
the only thing i really want is new racemodels...but i guess it will take atleast 1 year more untill they are finished.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well i have to agree and disagree..

graphics: wow might have good graphics while we playing on Ultra ETC.
But i'am not playing this game becuase of it.

Also if you wanna compare wow's graphics against other games wow is so far behind.

For an example you have "Tera" that game has awesome graphics - But it's a booring game like hell.. i tried it out 1 week nothing directly but i got stuck on the graphics.

And this up to date.. Well you could actually make the game abit more feeling and make the trees actually more living. "if you know what i mean"

There is so much to update but that's not the point with this game.

Just a fast answer on my thoughts. GL
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Skyrimes "super grim brown and grey" graphics will look terribly out of date in a few years.

WoW's "cartoony" style can persist for a lot longer, MOP looks fantastic - only thing WoW needs is some updated player models, and even that isn't a major thing.

Skyrim's graphics managed to keep me entertained for a few days before it's terrible combat couldn't contend with it's enjoyable atmosphere.

WoW has had me playing for almost 8 years now, because it doesn't matter if the graphics are looking a bit dated (though imo, MOP doesn't), because it has some actual substance underneath it's outdated player models.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
"WoW’s graphics engine is updated from time to time, and it’s a very efficient one, it’s not as out dated as some of you might think, don’t mistake purposely stylized cartoon looks with bad graphics. Also, bad graphics is very subjective, if you mean it in technical terms, everything will always end up having bad graphics, it’s only a matter of time. If you mean the art itself is bad, then that’s a valuable opinion, but opinions are highly subjective, and I have to say I strongly disagree. "

- Not sure if your hired just to try and defend the game, even though it have it's flaws which you can't see. Look at the 1-70 zones... It's disgusting.
Edited by Fniz on 18/12/2012 15:50 GMT
Reply Quote
55 Night Elf Druid
I actually love the graphics in wow, they look great and I also love that wow runs very smoothly on my computer. Yeah skyrim has nice graphics but they make the game lag a little and stutter occasionally and my computer more than meets the requirements that skyrim requires.

Wow is awesome as it is, it doesn't need performence affecting graphics in my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Hello, I think World of Warcraft requires a new Engine to bring players back and make the game better. Since many players play Skyrim cuz of the good graphic WoW loose players, World of Warcraft should be much better just because there are more stuff to do and you can play ONLINE!!! How awesome wouldn't that be? I don't know if you agree with me, but I think Blizzard would do a higher graphic settings. To bring players back from Skyrim. Sure, Skyrim is a good game. But WoW would be much better if they upgrade the Graphics! :) I have spoke with a GM and he totally agree with me. If you don't belive me, suit yourself. :)

This game will never have graphics like Skyrim because blizzard uses a different code. But I do agree that this game where graphics are concerned needs a huge upgrade. I've said this my self in other threads, WoW is showing its age. It needs upgrading if its to maintain a high population. But there are rumors that blizzard is working on new character models so its better than nothing! :)

Anarchy Online, an old game that is over 10 years old and its team has been working on upgrading the graphics engine by borrowing some of the code from Age of Conan and Secret world to upgrade. I would like to think its possible for blizzard after all, they have the $$ for it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]