"Some people complain WoW is too easy. Well, for people who want a challenge, take part in the Iron Man Challenge! I came across a thread from someone named Sandinhiseye about this, and it was fairly old. So, rather than necro it, I'm making a new thread. Taken from his thread, here are the rules:"
1) No items equipped other than White or Gray items.
2) No heirlooms
3) No talent points - no specialization - you may train class abilities
4) No professions, primary or secondary, other than First Aid.
5) No food or water above vendor-quality white items.
6) No groups- no BG's, no instances, no raids, no quest groups. No guilds.
7) No enchants, scrolls, potions/elixirs, or glyphs.
8) No outside financial or equipment assistance (no gold or bags from other toons)
9) THE BIG ONE - if you die, ever, you delete that toon and start over at lvl 1 Any takers? If you're doing it, post on that character and we will track your progress.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are mounts usable? Yes, they have to be because they are required to access certain areas.
What bags can I use: Only the vendor/drop white ones. 12 slot ones are available.
Can I use the Auction House: Yes. you can use the auction house to sell drops.
Yes, you can buy white items from vendors.
Self-buffs are trainable class skills, therefore these are allowed.
Rogue poisons are an integral and essential part of the rogue class and are allowed as are all class self-buffs.
Also to add most people are using 'iron' in the character name, this is certainly not a requirement of course, just for fun. So Ironpally, Trolliron, Ironfool, Darkiron, etc.
About randomising use dice/coin-flip to select race and class, i.e. Alliance/Horde (toss a coin), Race (use 2 dice and assign each race to a possible number), Gender (Coin-flip), etc.
The rule is no guild for the reason that it gives perks etc. There is a work-around which is if you want to be on the same server and chat about progress etc. Set up a channel for chat, i.e. 'Ironman'.
Many are now rolling on the Earthen Ring Server and there is a chat channel:
Hordeside: The channel is 5. Ironcurtain, password is iron
Alliance: the channel is 6. Darkiron
Death is death - even by ganking. A pve server is recommended but the choice is yours.
I think it's clear that Deathknights are excluded because of the 'perks' in place at start-up, level, bags, blue items - including weapon, and extra money. About somehow 'proving whether or not someone's cheated' we can't, nor should we try as this is outside of the 'spirit' in which the challenge was conceived. Of course it would be possible to 'cheat', but then if you were going to do that why do the challenge in the first place :)
With a big thanks to Treeroy The Ironman Challenge now has its own forum, please visit: www.ironmanwow.freeforums.org
Don't forget to post your progress and have fun :)