Topic Mage or Warlock
Edited by Aergis on 24/01/12 15:57 (GMT)
Basicly i want to make a new char and i want to know what is better between Mage and Warlock as i played only melee up to now and i want to make a change and i dont think im a good healer.
I dont want discutions to deviate just what u ppl (who played both of them) tell me what u think it is better in terms of pvp and pve (not only dmg as clearly mage wins in pve) and whats more fun to play.
I know i should choose what i like better but atm im in doubt as i like the crazy dmg mages got but also like what warlocks can do in pvp. (tried a SP and i like the dot and run tactic in pvp)
As mage ill prolly play frost pvp/fire pve and lock affliction pvp/whatever works pve.
Also whats the best race for each i wana play horde btw.
I have both, but lock is my main.
I wil point out what i think are the pros and cons of each one from a PvE prospective, since i don't PvP and as such i don't consider myself an expert in that environment.
- Fexibility: Currently all 3 specs are more than viable, and you can choose one depending on your playstyle.
- Deep complexity: we are a very hard class to maximise, the easiest proof is that where mages are overall very high in terms of dps, there can be very bad warlocks and very good ones.
- Great impact (visually, lorewise): locks are all about power, and they show it. Morphing into an almighty Demon, summoning guardians from the nether, opening demonic portals, doing rituals... we are cool, no one can take that from us.
- Lack of Burst/swapping capability: although this con is VERY reduced in Destro, it's overall true for the other 2 specs, compared to other classes.
- Ramp up time: consequence of the previous point. Our full damage potential can be done only after we have DoTed our target and our filler is a long casting time, meaning it will take somewhat between 3/6 seconds (depending on spec) to begin the damage output that you would normally expect from a dps class.
- Dark Intent: we really depend on this frigging horrible spell. (luckly it will be removed in MoP) Meaning that we depend on a second player, it's a good part of our damage and should the one that has it die you have to lose time slapping it on someone else, losing dps, messing with rotations, boring you. It's simply bad and THANKS Blizz is removing it.
- 2 very different spec to play: Arcane is a CD based bursting class, meaning that when you want to hurt a lot, you can. Fire is a proc based spec, menaing you have less control over your damage output but with good timing and a little luck it gets insane, both single and AoE.
- Nice survivability: Ice Block, Invisibility, Blink... plenty of stuff to avoid damage fast and easily, sometime even providing little tricks to exploit to your advantage.
- Nice CC: it's a lot less necessary in DS, but mages are overall the best CCing class of the game
- Heavily Proc/CD based: As arcane, if for some reason you screw a burst phase, you will have the dps of a duck. As fire, no matter how hard you try to convince your monitor, things won't crit, you won't get procs, you will do the dps of a sick duck. Note that in both cases is often more a matter of playstyle then of RNG, but it's still true.
- Gets the hate: everyone hates mages, simple as that. They are always Blizzard favourite class and always competive, no matter what patch/expansion we are in.
- Easy mehcanics: This is generally more true for Arcane than fire, but mages are rather simple to play and can easily get boring if you are looking for something a little more challenging.
Hope i helped. See ya!
Edited by Fukkrulz on 25/01/12 16:36 (GMT)
Didn't we fight to get rid of demons so many years ? It's like hanging out with H!tler after WW2.
OnTopic: Go for warlock ! Mages are much more than warlocks and you'll always have a reserved spot in Raid + the advantages which a warlock has to offer definetely outweigh the disadvantages.
Nevertheless, they have an epic lore, and by epic i really mean EPIC. Probably because when I say "Warlock" I think at TBC (Which was one of the best expansions).
PS: I'm also thinking about rolling a warlock xD.
After watching panda talent calculator and tacking into account that i like pvp mucho i will go for the lock as the self healing abilities they are geting combined with the spread pressure it can provide will make it easier to focus on small things in arenas that still matter and can make a difference. Unlike mages with get sheep everything in range but dont got time to watch out for that rogue that lurkes in the sadows.
And iff i dont get to raid on lock its ok i got my faitfull pala that awaits for me on hes faithfull charger.
Now all that is left is to choose realm and faction.
Ty akhmenos you really helped me deciding.
PS my first char was a lock lvled it only to lvl 5 died and thought they die to easy and made a pala:)) Always loved this class and thats why i choose it over the OP mages wich i hate tbh.
@ Second post, everyone hates mages. I loled.
Let me just say something, We have cake!n Dont think any other class can match that.
I am biased so I am not going to talk about how mages are the best class in the game by a mile and you should choose it no matter what.
85 Goblin Death Knight
I have both too, but I preffer mage - warlock is too consistent and becomes boring after some time; ok, you put a nice steady dps, but you have to watch dot's, refresh them perfectly, switch demons, control your shards; and most annoying thing is the pet controlling for demo (e.g. in DS where you have manually to stop it from attacking something you don't want it to attack); while mage is just plain fun - if it proc, you are #1, and if not... Well, it didn't proc :)
So, if you want to amaze yourself with damage output, go for a mage, if you want be steady - go for warlock.
@ Second post, everyone hates mages. I loled.
I raise your cake with my in combat useable health cookies :)
Oh and without Have Group Will Travel.
Take a look at my shiny tv, summons incomming !@#$%es! ;P