Inscription - about to drop it

90 Night Elf Hunter
Hello

I have come to realise that I am not using inscription at all any more, so will drop it in favour of alchemy which I use on a daily basis ( transmutations ).

Before I do so, has anyone found a good use for inscription? Maybe I have missed something.

Thanks
Reply Quote
MVP
88 Gnome Mage
All glyphs, all the time. Mysterious Fortune Cards. An offhand now and then.

Right now you don't have the rep to get the shoulder enchant from Therazane, so if you drop inscription you'll immediately lose those 130 agility and 25 mastery (80 agility will you get back when you get to 500+ alchemy, 50 agi and 25 mastery will you get when you hit Therazane exalted).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Yes that is right, I have a good shoulder enchant as a scriber. And no Therazane rep to replace it with.

What did you mean +80 with Alchemy? Are you talking about the Flask of Enhancement? This is a flask and cannot be used with other flasks so it is pretty useless for raids.

Reply Quote
MVP
88 Gnome Mage
The +80 with alchemy is what you get when using Flask of Enhancement outside of raids and normal flasks in raids (because of Mixology).

What do you actually want from alchemy? If it's moneymaking, then there's plenty of moneymaking in inscription that you probably haven't tried to do. You don't even need a high profession to make money, I went from 100g to 45k in 3 weeks (on a worse realm than my normal) using a char with 150 inscription and 150 smelting.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

I use alchemy for transmutes, takes 2 mins on each toon once a day. This action (all of 2 minutes) gives me approx. 90 gold a day per character.

I also use tailoring selling enchants and bags, when the mats are cheap and there is some arbitrage opportunity, and the same with smelting - you have to check the AH and find the opportunity, but nothing is as straight forward as alchemy.

If you know of other easy ways please share :-)

Reply Quote
MVP
88 Gnome Mage
There are a lot of easy ways, and inscription with all possible glyphs is one of them. There's plenty of money to be made by milling and ink selling alone, and you can increase the value of the ink 10-20 times by selling glyphs. It will require some work setting up though, but once it's done it's easy. Get the addon TradeSkillMaster and learn how to use it to set up craft queues and posting groups, and dedicate one or two alts with 4 32 slot inscription bags to sell the glyphs.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I have inscription on 3 toons. Granted on different realms and factions still it help a lot with Therazane's rep farming and better shoulder enchants. Also some glyphs are expensive and you can sell them on AH or make them for you alts that are in need. Off hands and relics also sell well. Mysterious Fortune Card is your money maker, you can either sell them or make fortune cookies and sell those on AH. Fortune Cookies are great profit everyone buys them for their food buff and a chance at getting a few Ks richer with the epic fortune cards.

But, having JC/Alchemy as my professions I really love this combo, cause I'm a transmute master and the chance at getting more gem procs. So, if you really have to have an Alchemy if possible get it on a different alt. Inscription is a good profession to have.
Edited by Draugathiel on 12/02/2012 13:46 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
You can easily make thousands a day from glyphs with very minimal work (literally 15 mins + time milling but you can do that while watching TV). Just do as Lobotomy said & get TSM, set it up, start buying cheap herbs (Cinderbloom/stormvine usually best) & away you go.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I use inscription to make mysterious fortune cards, glyphs only for my own toons and guildies, and then i make Darkmoon cards. Even the lower ones will net a good profit in the days up to a Darkmoon faire.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
mysterious fortune cards may be the reply for food buffs ? Not sure if it is not more economical to use fish?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I've got all proffesions maxed out on my characters so I log on to my paladin, fly around in Uldum and herb Whiptails (and some ores too) it takes about 20 minutes to get around 300 Whiptail, then I send them over to my priest who've got Inscription, and make fortunecards from them which I then send to my Rogue and makes Fortune Cookies (well soon I'll make them anyway when I've bought the skill)

I farmed herbs yesterday and today, atm I've got 600 fortunecards waiting. And the Fortune Cookies sell for about 450g per stack on raiding days on my server. So I luv inscription now. :-))
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
12/02/2012 13:21Posted by Rexal
I use alchemy for transmutes, takes 2 mins on each toon once a day. This action (all of 2 minutes) gives me approx. 90 gold a day per character.

I'm an idiot, because on my transmute alt, I create Truegold every other day and it make about 50g...

what should I be doing to make 90g per day?

W
Reply Quote
MVP
88 Gnome Mage
19/02/2012 15:33Posted by Warfaryn

I'm an idiot, because on my transmute alt, I create Truegold every other day and it make about 50g...

what should I be doing to make 90g per day?

W

Depends on server prices. Truegold, or Living elements in Uldum (to get Volatile Air) are the most common.
Reply Quote
inscription is more GPH then my JC/Ench... 5-10k gold a day just for reposting glyphs 3-4 times a day (takes 15 min max to repost 250-300 glyphs ):))
Do not drop it!!! Also think about epic trinkets in MoP, u will be swimming in gold :))
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
you can earn alot money with out investing much
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
inscription is more GPH then my JC/Ench... 5-10k gold a day just for reposting glyphs 3-4 times a day (takes 15 min max to repost 250-300 glyphs ):))
Do not drop it!!! Also think about epic trinkets in MoP, u will be swimming in gold :))

I am not sure. In my experience on my server, competition is so fierce that the mats cost more than the finished item. Just looked for example and:

Blackfallow Ink = 13g 60s
Ashen Pigment = 19g 65s (and you need 2 to make 1 ink)

Inferno Ink = 12g 65s
Burning Embers = 15g 50s (and you need 2 to make 1 ink)

Mysterious Fortune Card = 9g 85s (you need 1 Blackfallow Ink + 1 Resilient Parchment)

Snowfall Ink = 9g 75s
Icy Pigment = 14g 50s (and you need 2 to make 1 ink)

Herbs:

Goldclover = 3g each (and very rare)
Talandra's Rose = 4g each (and very rare)

Heartblossom = 4-5g each
Twilight Jasmine = 2.25g
Stormvine = 2.13g
Cinderbloom = 2g
Whiptail = 2.20g
Azshara's Veil = 7.45g

So there is some cash to be made out of cinderbloom-->ashen pigments maybe, depending how many you can flog, plus it takes time to mill. I just did mill 235 cinderblooms, ended up with 116 ashen pigments and 8 burning embers.

Reply Quote
MVP
88 Gnome Mage

I am not sure. In my experience on my server, competition is so fierce that the mats cost more than the finished item. Just looked for example and:

So there is some cash to be made out of cinderbloom-->ashen pigments maybe, depending how many you can flog, plus it takes time to mill. I just did mill 235 cinderblooms, ended up with 116 ashen pigments and 8 burning embers.

Pigments have a weird price, they rarely have a reliable supply and sell rate compared to the ink or herbs. On your server ashen pigments sold for 10-12g each, with a max price of 24g and a bottom price of 4g. So while it can be better to sell the pigment once in a while, it's not where you'll be able to unload the product of milling 8000 herbs.

Where you will be able to use ink by the inventoryfull, is on glyphs and Mysterious Cards. So what I do is I use the price of those as my baseline, and value everything else from that. On your server I might use these prices:
10g per mysterious card (sales in the last day were between 9.8g and 10.8g)
30g per glyph (since I need 1 ink for 1 card, and 3 inks per glyph, any glyph)
10g per burning embers (15g inks, sometimes up to 40g per pigment on actual sales)

So I value one ashen pigment at 5g, and one burning embers at 10g.
Low end Cata herbs mill into 2.5 ashen and 0.25 burning, high end cata mill into 3.0 ashen and 0.5 burning on average. Your personal results from the low end cinderbloom was 2.47 ashen and 0.17 burning, which was a bit unlucky.
That means with the prices I have set as my minimum prices (I will be able to sell both types of ink and pigments at higher prices at times, but that's not where I'll be able to reliably use 2000 ink per week), these are the milling values:
High herbs: 3 * 5g + 0.5 * 10g -> 20g per mill -> 4g herbs, 80g stacks
Low herbs: 2.5 * 5g + 0.25 * 10g -> 15g per mill -> 3g herbs, 60g stacks

http://eu.theunderminejournal.com/category.php?realm=A-Silvermoon&category=herbalism
So with the prices above, I could buy around 4000 whiptail from AH right now, mill it, and get around 100% profit on the gold spent, even without going for the higher value auctions that sell more slowly.

If you can, try to sell as much Blackfallow (or any kind of lower ink) you can for more than 10g each. Try to sell Burning pigment and inferno ink for as much as possible. But use the prices for the cards as what you base your profit off of, and anything you get above that is a bonus. And with the card value as the base, you can easily get a lot of profit by milling.

And yes, it takes time to mill, that's why you can get 100%+ profit from it. If it was as easy as smelting, it'd drop down to the point where it would actually be difficult to spot a deal, not how easy it is now. If we say that you bought 4000 whiptail at 40g per stack, ended up getting the 100% profit I used as minimum value of inks, and used 10 seconds per mill total (buying herbs, milling, making ink, making cards, selling on AH), then you'd get 3600g profit per hour from it.

Get TradeSkillMaster, use the Destroying addon to it. There you can go into the milling option, set a 5g value for Blackfallow ink, and it will search for all herbs you can mill for that end price and prompt you to buy them. If you're making glyphs you'll need all inks, so do that 5g for every ink and buy it out. I recently turned 100g into 40000g in 3 weeks on a level 20 char with 225 inscription, because I took control over the lower herb/ink/pigment market and sold minor glyphs as well.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Sorry I do not get it at all.

Cinderbloom, say 2g.
Mill it to get Ashen Pigment at a ratio of 2.02/1 - therefore cost of Ashen pigment = 4.04 gold

Ashen sells for 18+ gold on the AH - BUT BUT BUT : it does not really sell, it just sits there.

So turn Ashen Pigment into BlackFallow Ink (2 : 1) - therefore cost for BFInk = 8.08 gold

BFINk sells for 11.5 at the AH, a very small profit there

Next we move on to Mysterious Fortune Cards. Cost to me to make is 8.505 and they sell for 9.70 gold. Again the profit margin is small, not worth all this effort.

Am I missing something then...
Edited by Rexal on 21/02/2012 09:49 GMT
Reply Quote
MVP
88 Gnome Mage
Your math is completely correct, if you value burning embers as "I won't even vendor this, delete!", and 14% profit as not worth your effort. That's your choice.

What makes the most money is not what you sell your goods for, it's what you buy them for. For example you've used Cinderbloom for 2g each as your example, and you've done correct math, and concluded that Inscription isn't worth it. That's logical if 2g Cinderblooms were the only thing possible to mill.

However, here's what I'd do different:
-Calculate the value of burning embers/inferno ink into milling as well. It's not a lot, but subtracting 0.75g (the low value of inferno ink you wrote) from your 8.5g and you're suddenly at 7.75g, and your 14% profit is suddenly 24% by not deleting a product.
-Buy herbs cheaper. Cinderbloom isn't 2g all the time, I could buy 3200 cinderbloom for 1.8g each on your AH right now. The 24% just turned into 38%.
-Use better herbs. Stormvine is cheaper than Cinderbloom and gives the same, Whiptail costs the same and gives more. Stormvine would be 55% profit, Whiptail would be 95% profit.

Use other herbs, get them cheaper. And that's just the potential with milling Cata herbs, which is a small part of inscription total.
Reply Quote
16 Gnome Rogue
If profit margins are what you are after, I'd just set up a list in Auctionator for all class glyphs (there are guides on how to do this on youtube), then start scanning. Any glyph I see below a particular threshold of price AND quantity (say 3 glyphs of Death Strike selling for 8g each), buy out the lot and repost on the AH for 300g each or something.

Just doing that you can pull in 1-2k a day (don't even need a glyph maker toon).

If you do the same things every other person with the profession does, you are competing with the majority for a smaller share of the pie. The AH Goblins who exploit professions to the maximum possible level are the chaps who go about it a bit cleverly.

Instead of buying Cinderbloom at 2g (which is pretty expensive if you ask me), I would have scanned the AH and monitored prices of herbs. On my server for instance, Cinderbloom price per stack varies between 20g to 45g...when it hits 20g, I buy out EVERY LAST STACK. Yes, 200-300 stacks of the damn things. Doesn't matter if I mill it or not, I bought it out cheap. And when the prices spike for inks and glyphs (due to knock on effects for lack of cheap herbs), I'm making profits hand over fist.

Lobotomy is sugarcoating this a fair bit from what I can see from his posts.

To be very frank though, if you want to make money:

1) You have to plan ahead.
2) You have to spend money to make money.
3) You have to be mentally prepared to compete. To the victor go the spoils.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]