Are epic gems going to be aquirable via Pyrite Ore?

90 Tauren Warrior
Are epic gems going to be aquirable in a near future patch, via Pyrite Ore prospecting?

What are your opinions?
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Paladin
they should be tbh. all other epic gems used to be available by prospecting
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
85 Draenei Shaman
13/02/2012 13:30Posted by Blindingsun
they should be tbh. all other epic gems used to be available by prospecting

/Concur
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
That and transmutation. I see absolutely no need for the throttle on their acquisition in any case, all it does is drive a further, and unnecessary wedge between so called 'elitists' and 'casuals'. Let's face it, JC is already broken with just about everyone only wanting Red gems thanks to the primary stat weights being so high, and everything in T13 having red slots; that has now rendered all other colours effectively worthless while driving up the costs of those reds exponentially (Carnelians costing more then blue quality other gems?!). We really don't need yet another level of that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
It's very unlikely that they will remove the bottleneck before MoP. MMOs are kept alive by time sinks of one kind or another; be it rare spawns, lockouts, or grinds that last months.

It's what brings home the bacon.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
They did it for WotLK.

Come on Blizz... or at least raise a bit the drop rates...
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
No thanks. I like this method of actually earning your gems through raiding, ofcourse it's RNG but what isn't anymore?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
13/02/2012 14:50Posted by Oak
No thanks. I like this method of actually earning your gems through raiding, ofcourse it's RNG but what isn't anymore?

How is it "earning" through raiding when you can just shell out gold for them? It's like kitting out a character in BoE drops you bought from the AH, you didn't 'earn' it, but you had the time/patience to spend your time farming/working the AH.
Edited by Jessicka on 13/02/2012 15:05 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I agree... Earning through raiding would be if the gems that you get are BoP.

then yes. you earn them via Raiding.

This is just a way from Blizz to slow down the zerging of DS dungeon.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
13/02/2012 15:14Posted by Sephblades
This is just a way from Blizz to slow down the zerging of DS dungeon.

Ironic then that they nerf it to speed it up, don't you think?

I honestly have no idea how, or why the system is working as it does; it's completely illogical.
Edited by Jessicka on 13/02/2012 15:16 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Yes, you are 'earning'. By doing dragon soul you open up the chance of getting the gems you need free of charge. So yes, you are physically 'earning' your own gems. It's upto you whether you sell them on the AH or so.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Yeah, that 150 extra agility will so trivialize the content *rolleyes*
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
13/02/2012 13:40Posted by Jessicka
That and transmutation. I see absolutely no need for the throttle on their acquisition in any case, all it does is drive a further, and unnecessary wedge between so called 'elitists' and 'casuals'.

Excuse me?

There is nothing "elitist" about going to Dragon Soul and killing stuff on normal mode.
There is nothing "elitist" about having enough gold to subsidize someone else's repair costs by buying the gems they acquired.

You're just making excuses for yourself.

Side note, as Oak said: you're gaining 10 major stat per gem. If you don't think it's worth that much (it isn't), don't buy them! Simple as that.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
13/02/2012 16:48Posted by Freezadin
That and transmutation. I see absolutely no need for the throttle on their acquisition in any case, all it does is drive a further, and unnecessary wedge between so called 'elitists' and 'casuals'.

Excuse me?

There is nothing "elitist" about going to Dragon Soul and killing stuff on normal mode.
There is nothing "elitist" about having enough gold to subsidize someone else's repair costs by buying the gems they acquired.

Side note, as Oak said: you're gaining 10 major stat per gem. If you don't think it's worth that much (it isn't), don't buy them! Simple as that.

Dude, stop being so casual!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
13/02/2012 16:48Posted by Freezadin

Excuse me?

This.

Nail on the head.

Just because someone is good at the game, that doesn't make them elitist. There's nothing elitist about raiding. If I wanted to, I could log in for 3 hours a night at 4 days a week and I'd still be raiding Dragonsoul Heroic. Would that mean my time played nullifies the fact that I do raid heroic content? Even more so, would the fact I raid generally make me an elitist by default? Nope.

There's a difference between giving items a requirement to obtain as opposed to making something so incredibly hard that casual players can't obtain it. If there was an achievement which gave some neat reward which required 500 days /played, then it would be on the boundary.

I mean, epic gems and normal / heroic dragonsoul loot. What's the difference? If they made epic gems obtainable by easymode mining / JC, why should everything on the Deathwing loot table not be obtainable from valor points?

Just because they did something before, that doesn't mean they have to do it again.
Edited by Sacrolash on 13/02/2012 17:13 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I hope people realize the main reasons they did epic gems like this is because:

A) Wrath and TBC were absolutely flooded with epic gems and they all became pretty meaningless quite quickly.
B) Because people have been stockpiling pyrite hoping to make an easy fortune.
C) They want epic gems to be somewhat 'epic'.

Personally, I think epic gems should have been soulbound (maybe cutting could have been done through the enchanting window) but had a higher drop rate from the geodes. Blizzard didn't intend for epic gems to be just a standard that everyone just has and forgets about - they wanted them to be rare bonuses.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
6k for one epic red gem is fine for a PvPer's pocket, yeah?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
To be honest they should remove the restriction now, the red gems have been duped by goldsellers on most realms now and the restriction is largely just punishing regular players and feeding the goldsellers easy money.

An alternative option in the short term might be to make Geode's drop epic gems all the time, bringing them to market in the intended way.

Personally I don't feel that epic gems are any more epic for their rarity simply because of the duping going on and the availability of the gems from this method. Rather it makes me feel cheated when I kill a boss, get a Geode and go home with a bunch of Hessonites for my efforts...
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
To extend Sacrolash's point

I could log on 1 time a week for 3 hours a night (sometimes all I do) and raid heroic dragon soul. is 3 hours a week so much or is that too elitist?
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
13/02/2012 18:34Posted by Aevi
6k for one epic red gem is fine for a PvPer's pocket, yeah?

PvE gems are for PvE so generally you have to 'PvE' in order to get them. As a PvP'er you get to buy them with conquest points, even if they are next to horrifically bad they're still available. You limit yourself to one aspect of the game you limit yourself to a range of 'bonuses' as i regard a chance of an epic gem one of these bonuses. So inevitably you deserve to fork out the economy price for these gems. (Cheaper on alliance side btw DMF horde is overpriced >.>)
Edited by Oak on 13/02/2012 18:48 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]