[A-RP] The Northshire Vigil.

90 Human Paladin
The Northshire Vigil
"Deo Gratias"

Portal: http://www.argentarchives.org/node/100977
Video: http://bit.ly/AEd6uZ

Path of the Templar...

Send forth His most holy soldiers to beat back the tendrils of shadow and smite the heretics; pacifying their sins. Let them fear the thundering drums of the war horse's hooves. Let them find release as judgement is delivered and they are absolved in the holy Light.

To the north it is commanded that all travelling pilgrims will be under their vigil.
To the east it is commanded that the tendrils of shadow are smited at length.
To the south it is commanded that the crown remain safeguarded.
To the west it is commanded that the Horde answer for all their sins.

These are the charges of the Templars, the militant arm of the Church. This particular chapter's heritage is to that of Northshire, thus "The Northshire Vigil". For it was there that its commissioned officer was schooled in the philosophies of the Light along side his brothers-in-arms, and it is there the ecclesiastical record their garrisoning, though they travel between all places of worship and the kingdom to perform their duties.

Though belonging to the Church, the Order is loyal to the King and ride in both their names, thus will often be found in fields of strife alongside other soldiers as another brand of regiment, hoping to empower those around them with their faith and unyielding discipline to a cause.

Path of the Footman...

These Templars do not stand alone against the tides, honest men are welcome to give themselves as simple serving Men-at-Arms or Rangers to provide the backbone of the Templar's array for battle, they need not worship the Light, and will receive good coin and equipment for their enlistment.

The Sergeant-at-Arms watches over them, it is rumored that another grizzled war veteran from the Fighting Sixth barks out instruction to keep these strong men in top form.

The vows & enlistment...

Enlistment is a simple and straightforward approach of the Order by letter or word of mouth, and you will soon be marching in boots carrying equipment half your own weight. The vows are those that desire the path of the Templar, and give these freely to the Church, but do not do so lightly - it is a way of life, and the trials soon weed out the weak and undeserving.

Men and Dwarves alike are invited to all positions, Battle-Chaplain is the only position open to all other races as long as they are priest or paladin.

Disclaimer: This is a unique role-play challenge for myself and those joining us; as you may know the military has always been my forté - rather than the Light. The wowwiki is answering a lot of my questions, including the use of latin and other terminology, but if you spot a mistake don't hesitate to contact me.
Edited by Arthedun on 02/03/2012 22:11 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
/approve

All the best of luck to you!
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

The wowwiki is answering a lot of my questions, including the use of latin and other terminology, but if you spot a mistake don't hesitate to contact me.

I hope you don't mind be chipping in here, but I noticed a couple of glaring ones:

05/02/2012 00:30Posted by Arthedun
"Deo Gratias"

This is latin for "Thanks be to God". First of all, I have seen no mention of latin used in WoW (correct me if I'm wrong) and the mention of "God" is incorrect. The Light is a philosophy and the Church of the Light is a religious-esque organisation based around that philosophy.

I will concede that this latin phrase and the use of the word "God" was used in WC1, but it was retconned after the fact, and mentions haven't been seen since (as far as I'm aware - any that have are anachronistic).

05/02/2012 00:30Posted by Arthedun
His

It's not entirely clear who you are referring to here; for all I know it could be yourself or the Archbishop but the use of the capital "H" in "His" usually denotes God. And as I just pointed out, there is no God when talking about the Light. You can get this all off WoWwiki, but just for clarity: if anything the Light is all about the de-personalization of God; the Light is a universal, non-personal force, so any mention of a God defeats the meaning of the Light.

People can get touchy over such things on the forum, so I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way - I'm just trying to help! Indeed, it can be very confusing for people new to the concept of the Light who haven't researched it as it borrows many names (Bishop, priest, sister, brother, cathedral etc) and much of it's visual style from Christianity. This is compounded by the fact that many role-players (in particular humans) tend to forget it themselves or use confusing terminology such as "divine providence". They also tend to personalize the Light (I am guilty of this) by saying things like "The Light grants me" as if it was some sapient being - which it is not. Also, you often see people praying in the Cathedral or just praying to the Light in general (I too, am very guilty of this) when in actual fact, the Light is not about passive prayer but about being actively virtuous - I try to interpret prayer as a kind of focused meditation.

I don't mean to cause to a horrible debate in your recruitment thread so feel free to contact me in-game if you have questions (I am by no means an expert however).

In any case, this looks very interesting and I wish you the best of luck!
Edited by Mathan on 05/02/2012 05:14 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
By all means indicate and debate away, the topic of the Light isn't a simple thing at all. I took the latin phrase directly from; http://www.wowwiki.com/Brotherhood_of_Northshire which as you briefly mentioned came from Warcraft 2!
The difference here is would the scripture be "Praise be to Light" in its modified format? Could it be received as coming across like that? Or would you drop it all together? I'll be interested to hear someone else's input on that one.

The capitalization of the 'H' in 'His' was actually mentioning to the King of Stormwind, expressing further loyalty to the crown; which is also the reason why we use "Maximillian's Shield" in-game.

Thanks for taking note of all the details, and to you Aedahn for your best wishes, all well received.

Reply Quote

Bump for Mr. Averheim and his latest endeavors.
Reply Quote
48 Worgen Hunter
Hello there!

I wish you the best of luck with this, Arthedun. As you have quite the reputation for successful organisations.

But this all seems dreadfully similar to the shield..

I've seen a number of your band around and I must say that they ressemble the shieldsmen/women greatly.

I still wish you all the best, I just see this as a bit of something that's already been done before.

That said, the shield is on it's last legs now and more light-following guilds is never a bad thing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
After standing beside these men, I deem them good.

The Shield are far too soft and 'all loving' it will be good to finally see some very Alliance pro second war Paladins about!

Stamp of approval.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I agree, it could seem similar to the Shield because they are both of the Church - by no means is this a replacement for them, if anything i'd hope to work along side our clerical brothers. The difference is that as Cathan suggests we are very much for bestowing the will of the Light through fire, fury, steel and long winded chants, where as the Shield of Light have the tendency to be a lot more pacified in the way they go about the Light's work.

The order is growing quickly, i'm pleased to announce! Cheers for your continued support lads.
Reply Quote
48 Worgen Hunter
In that case - all the best Arthedun. Seal of approval.

*Stamps with seal*
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
To continue with the issue of claiming Templar titles. It's canon if it's been released as faction specific. In that RPG, which I've played myself, Templars are Argent specific elite warriors that have gone through Argent trials to claim that rank, and it is a rank. This is clearly outlined within the accompanying manual for the RPG. That wow-wiki article references directly from it. You cannot abstract it to something else. It would be akin to a human claiming to be a Vindicator or an Anchorite.

I quite like the guild though. But please don't use a title that you have no reason to use. As an Argent myself, it's a little hard to bear seeing it being used by Alliance. Not even Scarlets claim the title. I'd appreciate if you'd actually refrain from using it altogether for the above mentioned reasons, but I understand if you don't. It is a superb title after all.
Edited by Marcaidius on 05/02/2012 19:07 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I can really get behind the reasoning you present, and I wish i'd had the information sooner - the unfortunate problem we're faced with is that we've established ourselves hand in hand with a ton of Templar virtues, and pour a lot of our motivation in to the scenarios we play out from it; thus would struggle almost to breaking point to divert from the road we're on now.

If you would forgive the naivety in research efforts from the perspective you show on my behalf, Marcaidius, hopefully we can offer in return our values in that we will strive to the up-most of our abilities to see the manipulated form we've adapted realized in its new role-play shapes, as it's not too far-fetched, even if it is taken slightly out of concept?
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
In all fairness, it all depends on how you interpret the word "templar"
If you interpret it as a sort of holy warrior/warrior of Faith, it fits just fine within this guilds concept.

It's a bit the same as the word "ranger"
But that is slightly unrelated to the thread, so instead I'll just wish you good luck.
It seems like a good concept, so I hope it'll be a succes!
Edited by Mary on 05/02/2012 20:32 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Welcome back Arthy.

/old Stormwind Infantry guildie.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Looks promising, I always enjoyed the idea of a Templar guild, yet I never seemed to have the required willpower to realize such a concept.
As long as you do not become one of those overpowered Black Templar space marine guilds, you're alright in my book. Still, I highly doubt it'll ever come to that, seeing this guild is in more than capable hands.
Reply Quote
asdarefeewrff
Edited by Goragosh on 24/04/2012 12:54 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
05/02/2012 19:06Posted by Marcaidius
To continue with the issue of claiming Templar titles. It's canon if it's been released as faction specific. In that RPG, which I've played myself, Templars are Argent specific elite warriors that have gone through Argent trials to claim that rank, and it is a rank. This is clearly outlined within the accompanying manual for the RPG. That wow-wiki article references directly from it. You cannot abstract it to something else. It would be akin to a human claiming to be a Vindicator or an Anchorite.

05/02/2012 19:49Posted by Arthedun
If you would forgive the naivety in research efforts from the perspective you show on my behalf, Marcaidius, hopefully we can offer in return our values in that we will strive to the up-most of our abilities to see the manipulated form we've adapted realized in its new role-play shapes, as it's not too far-fetched, even if it is taken slightly out of concept?

I think this has potential to actually create some interesting IC tension. Imagine how the Argent Crusade would feel if an Alliance-loyal, Horde-fighting group actually DID start describing themselves as Templars. They'd hardly have to ask the Argent Crusade, after all! Although not technically, in lore terms, Templars; the use of the name could be used as a point of contention between the Crusade and this Order (who on many other points would be hand-in-hand). This might be particularly useful given that the aesthetic, structure and nature of the Argent Crusade tends to favour the Alliance side of things, anyway. Good to give yourselves something to bicker about!

Regardless, this is a brilliant concept. I love the whole 'holy warrior' trope. I wish you the best of luck!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
lé bump.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The first study.

When walking the path of the Templar, our Squires are faced with unique challenges to prepare their mind, body and soul for battle under the holy Light's name. The first study instructs that a Squire must go without armour or weaponry for a duration of time deemed by the Marshal or Templar-Captain.
This time is spent studying the first philosophy of the Light, and only upon explaining this understanding to their mentor will they be granted the allowance to progress.

The only exceptions to this is during skill-at-arms, where the Templars discipline themselves as a unit for the field.
Edited by Arthedun on 06/02/2012 19:47 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
And bump.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
I'm bumping the RP veterans society---....I mean, The Northshire Vigil. Some awesome people here.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]