5 months

77 Blood Elf Warrior
If you check out many of our posts, you'll see we've explained time and time again that we will respond to threads where we can add something new, help out, request additional information and so on. In this particular case, all we can do is acknowledge we are aware of the situation, and that we are working on it. Just like I did recently, on this very topic:

Report pls what you done for low pop realms. You said this 5 months ago.
Edited by Loraya on 20/02/2012 19:28 GMT
Reply Quote
71 Orc Rogue
sporeggar is a realm beyond redemption. the only hope for that realm is a realm merge, and that would happened already if they had any plans on it.
Edited by Tauz on 20/02/2012 19:33 GMT
Reply Quote
77 Blood Elf Warrior
Hmm ignore is good thing too.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
They won't merge servers as Blizz know if they do the gaming press will be all over it like a tramp on chips saying WoW is dying etc.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Perhaps some of the things they have come out with they were hoping would help combat it. Like cross realm LFR.

In a way it's a step in the right direction. Maybe thinking of more similar things, before they take the extreme case of closing servers. Problem with closing servers is there is an expansion incoming. Closing the servers could mean even more queing then what you usually get on an expansion start.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Blizzard severaly reduced the number of people on WoW development teams in last few months, which explains the simplifying of various aspects of the game. They don´t want to spend too much time tuning bosses, so they simplify the player, for example.

This all means that, although they may have made promises back then, it's probably not going to happen now. This also goes for any potential server merges or any other solution to low pop realms.
Edited by Maxthedragon on 20/02/2012 22:03 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
20/02/2012 22:03Posted by Maxthedragon
Blizzard severaly reduced the number of people on WoW development teams in last few months, which explains the simplifying of various aspects of the game. They don´t want to spend too much time tuning bosses, so they simplify the player, for example.

I have no idea where you got this information from, but it's wrong. We're not simplifying various aspects of the game, we're constantly reviewing them to ensure they're fun, which can actually sometimes mean making them more involved. Also, we spend however long is necessary to tune bosses to make them engaging and challenging, we're not cutting back on that at all.

20/02/2012 19:27Posted by Loraya
Report pls what you done for low pop realms. You said this 5 months ago.

As we recently said:

...yesterday we discussed low-population and faction-imbalanced realms with our developers. They have some pretty bold and spectacular plans for addressing this in anticipation of implementing some of the features we plan to in Mists. I just don't have a lot of information to share with you at this stage of programming and development.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
21/02/2012 12:47Posted by Takralus
I have no idea where you got this information from, but it's wrong. We're not simplifying various aspects of the game, we're constantly reviewing them to ensure they're fun, which can actually sometimes mean making them more involved. Also, we spend however long is necessary to tune bosses to make them engaging and challenging, we're not cutting back on that at all.

I'm sure that the development teams do their best to keep the content fun and exciting. I don't question that. It's just very obvious that the complexity of the player has been toned down slowly so that it requires less work on tuning bosses. I don't mean this in the sense that they become boring and simple, but the mathematics behind a boss encounter are simplified. There are less requirements to ensure that boss encounters can deal with exotic player configurations. Also, the development staff thing it's just a common thing in game industry land at the moment. It's a combination of the economical crisis and the fact that developers are needed on different new products such as Diablo 3 in Blizzard's case. Don't feel embarassed though, it's not only Blizzard who are suffering from this. You can't really convince me that content as seen in WotLK or even the first patch of Cataclysm is of the same level of developer time as the content we see today. Sure, it's still acceptably fun and exciting, but it's not as in-depth and it lacks the breathstealing atmosphere around it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
From: http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/blog/3759858/WoW_Dungeons_and_Raids_Panel-10_21_2011?page=38

In Cataclysm, Heroic dungeons were intentionally designed as gear and difficulty checks on the progression to raiding. In Mists of Pandaria, the Raid Finder will be the appropriate transition from running dungeons to Normal raids. Heroic dungeons will largely be tuned to be about as difficult as they were in Wrath of the Lich King, allowing players to fairly quickly down bosses in PUGs and hit their Valor Point caps. Valor Points will follow a new philosophy with 4.3, as a parallel way to gear up alongside the Raid Finder, but not as a fill-in for boss drops.

How is this not saying you're making it simpler?

Similarly here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2661015

There isn’t a magic number for how many rotational abilities a class needs, but we find that about four is the sweet spot. (Warning: four is not a magic number. Please don’t “helpfully” point out classes with more than four abilities as candidates for immediate design overhauls.) Elemental shaman, for example, get most of their damage from Lightning Bolt, Lava Burst, Flame Shock, and Earth Shock.

I see in the new talent calculator, Demonology and Affliction Warlocks are loosing a considerable number of abilities. The rest of the blog is clear that other classes are also having abilities cut in order to make things easier.
Edited by Jessicka on 21/02/2012 13:19 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
21/02/2012 12:47Posted by Takralus
...yesterday we discussed low-population and faction-imbalanced realms with our developers. They have some pretty bold and spectacular plans for addressing this in anticipation of implementing some of the features we plan to in Mists. I just don't have a lot of information to share with you at this stage of programming and development.

I mean no disrespect for you or any of the blues, but I seriously cannot use that answer for anything.

"We've discussed it, but we won't tell" is the answer given, not "We've discussed it".

I would love to hear the devs' current ideas of what they've thought of, not just "WE HIDE EVERYTHING UNTIL IT'S DONE" when almost every day we get a new "SAVE [Inset server] FROM LOW POPULATION".

And let's not forget all the other useless threads we see, like "Bring back Vanilla", "Nerf Mages" or another of Yuvalal's threads...
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I love it how people think they need everything right now and blizzard is just using expansions and other IMPORTANT work as an excuse to ignore them.

Migrate the !@#$ out of there if you don't like it.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

Looks to me like, as the blue said, there is going to be an alternative for realms suffering lower populations, rather than these band aid fixes people suggest to have free transfers.

Smells like more cross realm compatibility to me, and if so, awesome!

Looking at the way modern MMo's work, realms have less of a meaning now, as everything is becoming inter-compatiblised (yeah thats my buzz word). Wow is going the same way, breaking down server barriers to allow for players to play together, regardless of decisions made at character creation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see, in future, ghosts of those on other realms in our cities, able to be interacted with like anyone else, and joined up through dungeons etc, and also able to join up for all ingame content.

People just need to understand these issues are bigger than quick fixes.
Edited by Shantotto on 21/02/2012 13:28 GMT
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Rogue
I love it how people think they need everything right now and blizzard is just using expansions and other IMPORTANT work as an excuse to ignore them.

Migrate the !@#$ out of there if you don't like it.

This is probably the best answer. As it's not Blizzards fault you chose that realm, just like it's also not your fault... it's just an unfortunate situation.

However while it isn't either of your faults, it shouldn't be "all" up to Blizzard to "fix" it for you if you're the one unhappy with the realm population. They have said they are going to address it, now you can either accept that and wait for them to have something concrete to give (like adults), transfer away using the paid service (like other people who use these services, so pretty much "like adults")... or continue to cry and moan at Blizzard about it (like children).

The choice really is up to you. I've paid maybe 200+ in Character Transfers, Faction Changes, and other paid services. Do I regret it? No. I did it because that's what's available, it's not prohibitively expensive, and you can do them pretty much at any time.

So in closing. "Shut up. Suit up, Man up." (Slips into a Flight Suit and pulls out the Boombox playing the Top Gun Theme)
Edited by Jinkara on 21/02/2012 13:45 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
From: http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/blog/3759858/WoW_Dungeons_and_Raids_Panel-10_21_2011?page=38

In Cataclysm, Heroic dungeons were intentionally designed as gear and difficulty checks on the progression to raiding. In Mists of Pandaria, the Raid Finder will be the appropriate transition from running dungeons to Normal raids. Heroic dungeons will largely be tuned to be about as difficult as they were in Wrath of the Lich King, allowing players to fairly quickly down bosses in PUGs and hit their Valor Point caps. Valor Points will follow a new philosophy with 4.3, as a parallel way to gear up alongside the Raid Finder, but not as a fill-in for boss drops.

How is this not saying you're making it simpler?

No, you're right, it does make it simpler, however it's doing it by moving the progression path.

At the start of Cataclysm it was (Dungeons) normal > heroic (Raids) normal > heroic.

The gating occurred at the (Dungeons) heroic stage, meaning that many more casual players were simply unable to complete the content which got frustrating since they wanted the valor points.

In Mists it will be (Dungeons) normal > heroic (Raids) lfr > normal > heroic

As you can see, the progression path is longer, which is the inverse of simpler, it's actually one stage more complicated. How they're achieving this is reducing the overall skill level required to complete dungeons, with the 'skill' requirement in terms of dungeons being moved to challenge mode.

The introduction of LFR also means that 'everybody' will be able to complete the raid content, on an easier difficulty. This is a win-win situation for all provided that the difficulty of normal and heroic mode raids is sufficiently high enough, and that these difficulties are no longer subject to nerfing. This unfortunately is not what we've seen in Dragon Soul, where normal mode was far too easy in comparison to say, tier 11, and was subject to nerfing.
Reply Quote
86 Human Hunter
^^ I have to disagree.

You call 60+ low population servers an unfortunate situation? If you implement features like PCM or Faction change there will be changes in the population and faction balance. And not dealing with these issues no ones fault? A flower dies if you dont water it, is that an unfortunate situation you couldnt predict? You dont take care of your garden and the plants and rats and whatnot take over, is that an unfortunate situation you couldnt predict?

@Ghostile, we dont want things right away. We want old problems that have existed ever since 2009 to be fixed.

But yes, it seems Blizz aint going to do anything about it. So I "manned up" and took my money elsewhere..
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
With the money you buy one of the failing MMOs, you could migrate to more populated realm...
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
20/02/2012 19:33Posted by Tauz
sporeggar is a realm beyond redemption. the only hope for that realm is a realm merge, and that would happened already if they had any plans on it.

So is Sporregar the lowest pop English EU realm ? if so i will come for the fishing tournament and the DMF trinket achievs. No better place to get stuff like that than on a realm that is (virtually) empty.
Reply Quote
88 Troll Mage
Each time when some person in Blizzard had changed jobs, press goes nuts (and forums too) that Blizzard is reducing numbers of employees, and that lasts few months min.
Also has anyone ever heard for stuff like "company`s secret" (not sure if I spelled it right) but in basic`s Blizzard was always known as "quiet ones" in announcements of their games...

On the idea of merging realms I do have to wonder is it possible, to merge all WoW realms into one big realm... maybe to split em on one PVP, PVE, RP and one RPPVP... basicly only one realm of each kind, that would made much more players around, though I am not sure could servers would be able to keep that up...
Though I do like idea....
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
On the idea of merging realms I do have to wonder is it possible, to merge all WoW realms into one big realm... maybe to split em on one PVP, PVE, RP and one RPPVP... basicly only one realm of each kind, that would made much more players around, though I am not sure could servers would be able to keep that up...
Though I do like idea....

But the lag? No thanks. I'm not talking from a point of view where the servers generally are laggy and crashing.

I'm talking about the User end - Our end. Nobodies system would EVER be able to sustain that many people around and function properly.

That is probably the reason why it hasn't already been done. The last 10 million subscribers will be lost. Without a doubt.
Reply Quote
88 Troll Mage
Mmmmmm I didnt thought about lag, true but it still seems nicer idea with lot more players in one area.... plus how much players are now allowed per realm?
Plus it is question could servers hold that much of capacity for huge realms?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]