disc pve, how much spirit

85 Gnome Priest
hey, so i recently started playing this alt of mine as disc, was kinda wondering whats a good amount of spirit to settle for, i see some still keep it highish, others reforge it down to 2k or so and rely on rapture procs, etc etc

regarding the trinkets, anything better than the seals of seven signs? im not really liking it, but if i dont have mana issues i guess i might as well keep it
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Not really much of a choice in trinkets this tier, so it's Seal of the Seven Signs/Windward Heart if you want to go light on the spirit, orHeart of Unliving/Whichever of the two former you prefer if you want some more spirit. I've heard that Windward Heart provides a surprising amount of healing through its proc at least. :p
Edited by Forsety on 26/02/2012 14:37 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I've heard that Windward Heart provides a surprising amount of healing through its proc at least. :p

Heroic version at least can crit upwards of 66k without buffs :P
Edited by Ashalia on 26/02/2012 14:42 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Well, I still regret giving the heroic version to a Druid of ours... next week he rerolled his damn Shaman purely because of Hc Spine and Madness. <_<
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Unless you can deal with rapture flawlessly I wouldn't reforge ALL spirit away.
What I did was cut down the spirit 500 at the time, then going lower and lower
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Spirit tends to be pretty useless above 2k once you learn how to proc Rapture right (the amount of fights I end on full mana without really trying are wonderful), if you reforge as much of that spirit as you feel comfortable into Mastery (since your SoS) then you'll find each of your Shields / DA's lasting longer too, thus making your mana last longer.

As for your trinkets, since you are going for SoS rather then AAA, I'd say Foul Gift of the Demon Lord would be a better second trinket with Windward Heart, since it's boosting your best secondary stat in favor of a less great one for only 30 less int then Seal of the Seven Signs.

That said, I don't Raid (I doubt you'd say LFR counted :p) so my experiences are based primarily on Tank healing a 5 man and I am unsure how much more useful the Haste might be in a Raid environment.

Note: Apologies, I have no idea how to link items.
Edited by Dannus on 26/02/2012 17:21 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
People keep asking this, and I keep giving the same response.... There is no correct amount of spirit. It is ENTIRELY fight & spell usage dependent. This is a question ONLY YOU can answer. If you go through fights with too much surplus mana, first think whether you're using spells that are too efficient & whether you can improve your HPS by using more expensive heals. If you have too little mana, first think whether you're being as efficient as possible with your heals, then think about whether you need more spirit or not.

At the end of the day surplus mana can always be spent. The question is whether you will gain more overall healing potential from more throughput stats or more expensive spells. Test it for yourself, healing isn't really a numbers game, it's far more about trial & error.

As above, posted in another thread...
Edited by Halaberiel on 26/02/2012 17:25 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I've heard that Windward Heart provides a surprising amount of healing through its proc at least. :p

on a side note tho, these kind of procc items got a tendency to procc when you least need it, like overhealing etc. It may show on your recount that they perform good and gives you 5% healing done overall, but most of it could have been wasted aswell. I hate these kind of items since you can't relay on RnG at all in this game. If you wanna heal well, you need to controll it urself.

I personally would go for spine trink + majordomo hc one simply because you can't run out of mana with them combined. And like to have spirit around 3 k which gives me a good fall back in heavy mana consuming fights. But this is just from my point of view, we all got diffrent taste and i'd say get as much spirit as you feel comfortable with.
Edited by Paskal on 27/02/2012 04:26 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Since I have the heart trinket I'm dropping lower in Spirit every week...

This reset I ran with 2.3k spirit and still had plenty mana at the end of 6/8 heroic bosses..

For next reset I think I will try 2.1k

26/02/2012 17:21Posted by Dannus
Spirit tends to be pretty useless above 2k once you learn how to proc Rapture right (the amount of fights I end on full mana without really trying are wonderful)

Funny how you say that without even having cleared DS on normal difficulty...

No offence here but to be honest if you haven't played the highest content on hardest difficulty how can you know how much spirit is needed?
Edited by Arylia on 27/02/2012 09:25 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I also lowered my spirit more and more every week (quite reluctantly), and tbh I cant say I feel it. Running with around 2k now and the spine trinket (lfr version) and I rarely end up dry, especially if I dont !@#$ up rapture or fiend.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
27/02/2012 09:23Posted by Saphiramoon
I also lowered my spirit more and more every week (quite reluctantly), and tbh I cant say I feel it. Running with around 2k now and the spine trinket (lfr version) and I rarely end up dry, especially if I dont up rapture or fiend.

True... I am very curious about spine heroic... We had some quick pulls last night and it seems mana will be the main issue there :)

I don't have a decent holy set with lots of spirit actually, this might be a problem
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Our Hpala got his last week, and he linked us a crit of 100k... >.>
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I also lowered my spirit more and more every week (quite reluctantly), and tbh I cant say I feel it. Running with around 2k now and the spine trinket (lfr version) and I rarely end up dry, especially if I dont !@#$ up rapture or fiend.

True... I am very curious about spine heroic... We had some quick pulls last night and it seems mana will be the main issue there :)

I don't have a decent holy set with lots of spirit actually, this might be a problem

It won't be if you have spine trinket. I was sitting at 3.2k spirit on spine heroic before getting the trinket. With the trinket 2.4k spirit or so should be enough. I was high mana throughout the fight (while doing enough HPS to rank 8 atm).

You should go atonement disc for spine 10m hc, it's absolutely amazing.
Edited by Halaberiel on 27/02/2012 10:05 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Question: "How much spirit do I need?"
Answer: "Enough to finish the encounter at the current level you are progressing at or below 10% mana with all cooldowns expended"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Spirit is overrated.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Question: "How much spirit do I need?"
Answer: "Enough to finish the encounter at the current level you are progressing at or below 10% mana with all cooldowns expended"

You forgot to mention you need a crystal ball to peer into the future for that. Also, you should seriously consider a politician career, or one that posts for blizz on the forums, as you are brilliant at stating the obvious with the impressing you are divulging precious pearls of knowledge.

Speaking of spine hc, looking for tips, but for the 25 one!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Funny how you say that without even having cleared DS on normal difficulty...

No offence here but to be honest if you haven't played the highest content on hardest difficulty how can you know how much spirit is needed?

Urm, guess you didn't read onto:

26/02/2012 17:21Posted by Dannus
That said, I don't Raid (I doubt you'd say LFR counted :p) so my experiences are based primarily on Tank healing a 5 man and I am unsure how much more useful the Haste might be in a Raid environment.

I realise that didn't directly relate to Spirit. Still, from now on I'll make sure to only give an opinion in regards to content beneath my actual success rating. I apologise for flooding the forum with my inane, unuseful and downright wasteful thoughts.

Good day to you.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Hmm apparently I missed that ;) sorry! =]

The trinket from Morchok never dropped for us tho , I think the pally will get it first... But I think if I could get the chance to take it I would replace it over my seal trink... :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]