Why dont ppl play holy ?

90 Blood Elf Priest
27/02/2012 07:57Posted by Dreffan
@Saph, you're right for atoment. But it has to be at least 30-40 yards :(). Grats for the hc Warmaster Blackhorn. :)

Well, you can smite from 30 yards away, but atonement will only proc in a 15 yards range around the boss. There's usually the tank there and melees, so it's fine imo, I cant say I ever actually heal with atonement, its more for lol phases or for some extra dps on ultraxion (I dont do anything but smite and shield the tanks until blue spawns tbh).

And thanks! Was quite an unexpected kill tbh, we were 24 online only and had to 5 man heal it. Was only our 2nd day of progress on him and on the 1st we just practiced soaking and stuff. None of us expected to actually kill him so the fight wasnt even frapsed :)). We're happy we got it before the next nerf though, and I was extra proud of our healing team.

Not quite sure what they could do with serendipity, prolly atleast improve the proc chance of SoL - I tried it too and it felt really underwelming - like 3 procs in an entire mana pool emptied spamming flash heals, sometimes not even 3. Or make a stack be gained by pom - I'd like that. Spamming Heal to get a hasted Gheal doesnt feel that great really, though it could work for some sort of middle ground healing.

Dunno, to me the whole chakra thing feels clunky still: you are balanced around being in a chakra, and being in the wrong one gives you a disadvantage, but the cd prevents you from a dynamic switch on needs. Same time, as much as I want to believe, chakra serenity for single target healing still feels wobbly, and not as powerfull as disc single target healing: maybe its got something to do with the crit buff, sure its nice and all, but its RNG and kinda weak when you think about the fact that holy priests will generally have low crit from gear, so 10% extra isn't gonna cut it really. There's the renew rolling thing but meh: vs aegis, a lot better synergy with crit, shields and grace, chakra serenity feels weak as hell. For me, its a case of:
1. Tank healing fight, defo disc.
2. Raid healing fight - both can do pretty much same if you take into consideration barrier.
3. A little extra dps needed - defo disc.

Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Dunno, to me the whole chakra thing feels clunky still: you are balanced around being in a chakra, and being in the wrong one gives you a disadvantage, but the cd prevents you from a dynamic switch on needs. Same time, as much as I want to believe, chakra serenity for single target healing still feels wobbly, and not as powerfull as disc single target healing: maybe its got something to do with the crit buff, sure its nice and all, but its RNG and kinda weak when you think about the fact that holy priests will generally have low crit from gear, so 10% extra isn't gonna cut it really. There's the renew rolling thing but meh: vs aegis, a lot better synergy with crit, shields and grace, chakra serenity feels weak as hell. For me, its a case of:
1. Tank healing fight, defo disc.
2. Raid healing fight - both can do pretty much same if you take into consideration barrier.
3. A little extra dps needed - defo disc.

True. The only thing I can do is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnhXHvRoUd0&feature=autoplay&list=FL9hxSY6A7FiEwDFkB8v3lFw&lf=mh_lolz&playnext=1 . We love to use disc (love)
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
Hard data on the subject:

http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25N/all/14/365/samples/#1u00000
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/10N/all/14/365/samples/#1u00000
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/10H/all/14/365/samples/#1u00000
http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Spec_Score/25H/all/14/365/samples/#1u00000

These links are raiding priests for 10 and 25man normalmodes and heroicmodes the last year.
- Holy was the more popular priest specc in T11 content.
- There was roughly twice as many Holypriests as Disc in PVE on T11 normalmodes.
- There was roughly an equal amount of Holypriests as Disc in PVE on T11 heroicmodes.
- In the firelands, the relations between disc and holy changed massively!
- Basically almost half of all holypriests out there respecced disc overnight.
- When 4.3 came out, many but not all of these holypriests respecced back
- In T13 10mans, disc is still the dominant spec. In T13 25mans it is rather equal

Disc was frowned upon in tier 11 normal mode, because it had been nerfed into the ground at the start of the expansion.

By tier 11 heroic progress for most people, it had been buffed sufficiently to be competitive (after a buff + nerf in the space of a week)

10 man started to become the preferred flavour of raid size.

Disc seriously out performs Holy in 10 man because of how trivial it is to maintain huge divine aegis on 10 people without the magical blue bar doing as much as moving.

The release of Dragon Soul saw a huge buff to Divine Hymn for holy priests, thus; holy is about equal in 25 man because of how effective the buff to Divine Hymn is with 25 people taking damage.
Edited by Infinitas on 27/02/2012 10:11 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Why dont ppl play holy?

Why don't ppl play disc?
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
In 10-man I don't see any reason to go holy.

Preventing damage is such a valuable niche, it is logical that it's more desired.

Nobody can replicate the power of disc's shields, whereas the aoe healing power of holy is just very similar to what a shaman or a druid can bring.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I went holy from disc when I dinged 85. So far, I like it much better then disc. Mana issues seem mostly gear related to me. I'll see how it goes when I hit ilvl 353, 372 and up.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
In 10-man I don't see any reason to go holy.

Preventing damage is such a valuable niche, it is logical that it's more desired.

Nobody can replicate the power of disc's shields, whereas the aoe healing power of holy is just very similar to what a shaman or a druid can bring.

Similar to Shaman and Druid? News to me, especially as I have a resto shammy and resto druid along with my holy priest. There are some similarities between all healers, but holy priests are different enough. First, they have far more healing abilities, they have a unique system which lets them switch from single target healing to aoe and vice versa, via Chakra, they have the Lightwell, Binding Heal, CoH. Those alone are enough to dstinguish the spec from others. Disc is unique, but holy is too.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
28/02/2012 08:19Posted by Orbion
Similar to Shaman and Druid? News to me, especially as I have a resto shammy and resto druid along with my holy priest. There are some similarities between all healers, but holy priests are different enough. First, they have far more healing abilities, they have a unique system which lets them switch from single target healing to aoe and vice versa, via Chakra, they have the Lightwell, Binding Heal, CoH. Those alone are enough to dstinguish the spec from others. Disc is unique, but holy is too.

He was refering to what you bring to a raid, not the the holy priest as a specc. And yes, as holy, compared to disc, all you give to the raid is raw aoe healing, something a druid or a shaman also brings.

Also, "the unique system" is a crippling system more than anything else. No other healer is actually required a stance to do decent healing, and holy's single target healing is still pretty !@#$, even in the respective chakra. If I can pull out similar raid healing as a holy priest and solid single target healing and don't need any stupid stance for it, why bother? Remove the cd on chakra, and then we talk about versatility.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
personally i find disc more fun as a healing spec.
i roll with it as my offpec for the guild, and it yields much better numbers (i can keep up with our mainspec holy (who is a strong healer))
only thing i get jealous of is 3 min big heal, but i can live with my 70k PWS's :P
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
28/02/2012 08:35Posted by Saphiramoon
Remove the cd on chakra, and then we talk about versatility.

And I macro almost of my spells with it. Reducing its cd is more apprpriate then removig it.

02/03/2012 23:13Posted by Thengal
only thing i get jealous of is 3 min big heal, but i can live with my 70k PWS's :P

I do think 70K PWS is better than 18K PWS :D
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest

He was refering to what you bring to a raid, not the the holy priest as a specc. And yes, as holy, compared to disc, all you give to the raid is raw aoe healing, something a druid or a shaman also brings.

Also, "the unique system" is a crippling system more than anything else. No other healer is actually required a stance to do decent healing, and holy's single target healing is still pretty !@#$, even in the respective chakra. If I can pull out similar raid healing as a holy priest and solid single target healing and don't need any stupid stance for it, why bother? Remove the cd on chakra, and then we talk about versatility.

Raw aoe healing yes, but our own way. CoH and PoM are enough to make us special compared to non-priest healer. Lightwell is a great tool if used right in raids, epsicially in spine. I even find myself using renew on Hagara and spine as well. And Binding Heal is a great ability and sometimes quite a life saver as well. So no, I give to the raid a lot more than just spamming PoH with the occasional FH/GH to the tank.

I enjoy the Chakra system, its challenging enough and while holy priests need to work harder to get good heals and still keep good mana, its much more rewarding when u have success.
Edited by Orbion on 04/03/2012 11:40 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I've tried Disc, I've tried other healers.
Other specs and classes may be more desired.
But I never have as much fun healing as I do with my Holy Priest, I've stuck with it since I started the character (yes, I even levelled with the old Smitespec). I have to work more to be mana efficient, to get as much throughput and to get my place in raids. But I've never once thought of swapping to Disc.

When I started regularly (10man) raiding with my guild. We usually ran with only 2 healers, myself and a Resto Druid and we found we complemented each other well. I'd pick up where he slacked and he picked up where I slacked.
When I stopped playing near the start of Cata, my guild went in search of another Holy Priest to replace me for raiding and had a terrible run of luck, they could only find Disc priests and those people were either bad players or complete idiots.
When I finally returned about a week or so ago, there was a clamour to get me geared up and ready to raid, during this grind of heroics and for marks I got a personal message from the guild's other healer , thanking me for returning telling me how glad he was I was back and looking forward to healing with me again.
Apologies for the long post, what I'm really trying to say is, there aren't many Holy Priests around, but those of us that are, are well valued.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
I've tried Disc, I've tried other healers.
Other specs and classes may be more desired.
But I never have as much fun healing as I do with my Holy Priest, I've stuck with it since I started the character (yes, I even levelled with the old Smitespec). I have to work more to be mana efficient, to get as much throughput and to get my place in raids. But I've never once thought of swapping to Disc.

When I started regularly (10man) raiding with my guild. We usually ran with only 2 healers, myself and a Resto Druid and we found we complemented each other well. I'd pick up where he slacked and he picked up where I slacked.
When I stopped playing near the start of Cata, my guild went in search of another Holy Priest to replace me for raiding and had a terrible run of luck, they could only find Disc priests and those people were either bad players or complete idiots.
When I finally returned about a week or so ago, there was a clamour to get me geared up and ready to raid, during this grind of heroics and for marks I got a personal message from the guild's other healer , thanking me for returning telling me how glad he was I was back and looking forward to healing with me again.
Apologies for the long post, what I'm really trying to say is, there aren't many Holy Priests around, but those of us that are, are well valued.

Great post, and I totally understand how you feel. Finding holy priests (even bad ones!) is a tough task. I will never switch to disc simply because I'm having lots of fun playing holy. To me, it is by far the deeper, most challenging and most rewarding healing experience this game has to offer.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh, holier-than-thou, how I love thee!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
From a world PvP and BG's perspective: Holy is fun and risky, disc is safe and boring.

The good thing about holy is that the instant healing and HoT's are that great, there is ofen no need to cast long time castig spells, and therefor minimizing the risk of being interrupted.
Edited by Lotte on 05/03/2012 14:54 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
Preference for me, haven't played Holy, since COH was given a CD.

Disc all the way.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I'm always holy, Mana is easy, I'm normally full mana in all DS fights, priest is very easy when you learn the spec, how ever i dont like how the heals are small.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]