Are Draenei really limited to not having last names?

15 Draenei Shaman
The Grand Debate

As You all may know, Draenei don't tend to have surnames. Well, they don't have them. Yes, yes, some innkeepers seem to have them but most are just easter eggs. So that's it, period, space goats can't have last names.

Unless...

Unless You're a Shaman. Shamanism is still quite a new thing to the strange, blue creatures with hooves instead of feet. It's... alien for them, since turning into a spectral Wolf or placing a wooden, small structure that shoots fireballs is stranger than flying a spaceship in times gunpowder was just invented.

Back to the point. I think Shamans, due to the fact that they are... weirder to the rest of the Draenei, are getting more isolated, therefor have the option to adopt a surname that has something to do with Nature, maybe Naaru.

Or, we could think of newborn Draenei (maybe after the crash) that were adopted and took their parents surname.

It got me thinking, since I want to make my bluegoat more unique and I think, it makes some sense.

Discuss.

P.S: Yes, some of you may call this a banter thread, but I get the odd feeling of being a basterd from GoT series. But atleast they have surnames, cool or not, they atleast have them.

P.S2: Even Taurens have surnames. Now imagine a Tauren Rogue that's called "Borum Windshadow". I know, has got nothing to do with the subject at hand, but imagine how cool Draenei surnames could be.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I really reckon it's a case of not a traditional thing to do, but some have picked it up anyway.
You mention shaman are sort of a group in and of themselves and, yeah, I can totally see that. It's a sudden and new philosophy, it isn't reliant on the teachings of the Light. It's definitely a new attitude, and it may reflect itself in adopting other cultural signifiers that other draenei might shun.

Way I've seen it is surnames can be taken because of:
-An achievement
-A new sense of identity
-Giving honour to a name they respected/knew/just liked as it happens
-They wanted to
-Stuff

There's plenty of reason to do it, and especially now they're integrating within a huge collection of cultures; many of which do include surnames for familial reasons (humans for example) or for reasons of having gained them through a feat, event or whatever(gnomes).
Reply Quote
True, I would imagine that a draenei might give himself a surname because of hanging around with people of other races that do have them. I especially wouldn't mind meeting a "Naruum Stormcloud" or something that had the name given to him by Wildhammer dwarves.

I personally just call myself Laedar.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
While Draenei don't normally have surnames (possibly due to the fact that Draenei have no need to distinguish two different families, as they see each other as one big family (no I have no proof that this is how they feel, this is just my interpretation of their society and the way they handle family relationships))there's no reason they can't have one. If they do have one though it'll be a self-given name or perhaps more of a title bestowed by comrades, I would imagine that the name would be influenced by their abilities. deeds or possibly their personality. For instance my Draenei DK has decided to take Frosthoof as her surname, the name it's self is derived from her Frost powers and of course the fact she has hooves. The reasoning behind why a Draenei may take a second name will vary from character to character, in the case of my DK it's to make herself more identifiable to both comrades and enemies alike.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
They can adopt titles in the place of surnames, which is pretty much where our IRL surnames originated from in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

25/02/2012 20:05Posted by Marttus
They can adopt titles in the place of surnames, which is pretty much where our IRL surnames originated from in the first place.

Indeed. Where I come from almost everyone has a name like '<First name> <Job/place/achievement>'
My last name for example is van Herwaarden, meaning 'from Herwaarden' wich is a place...
I also know people called 'Builder' for example...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
I don't see why a (I assume your character is 5000 years old at the least) Draenei individual would be influenced by other races whom they only have spent a fraction of their life with, thus taking a surname.

I guess being granted a title by an order or a Naaru, or the elements, seems highly legit. Especially now that Draenei shamanism is a new thing among Draenei, so a surname hinting affilation with the elements suits just fine.

Other than surnames, you can state you're from a certain family branch within the Draenei, though this is almost the same as a surname it's slightly different.

Jastalaan, of the Nabaal line, for instance. Otherwise their given names or miltary or teological ranks are mostly used.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
25/02/2012 20:12Posted by Arthaban
I also know people called 'Builder' for example...

Is the first name Bob? :D
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
http://www.wowhead.com/faction=930#members

Caregiver Ophera Windfury
Caregiver Topher Loaal
Jessera of Mac'Aree
Masat T'andr - broken
Thoralius the Wise

All other draenei npcs with the <Exodar> faction have only a single name with often a professional prename. Assuming that Masat T'andr is exceptional, being Broken, only the Caregiver occupation has been given last names.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
We don't have last names.

Only Broken/ Shaman do.

They take tribal titles.

/thread.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
If we had surnames with how long we live, imagine how big the families would be!
Reply Quote
http://www.wowwiki.com/Disidra_Stormglory

Perfect example.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Warrior
http://www.wowhead.com/faction=930#members

Caregiver Ophera Windfury
Caregiver Topher Loaal
Jessera of Mac'Aree
Masat T'andr - broken
Thoralius the Wise

All other draenei npcs with the <Exodar> faction have only a single name with often a professional prename. Assuming that Masat T'andr is exceptional, being Broken, only the Caregiver occupation has been given last names.

Are you sure that those Caregivers aren't just pop references though? Ophera Windfury looks very similar to Oprah Winfrey to me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
04/03/2012 09:02Posted by Bebbix
Ophera Windfury looks very similar to Oprah Winfrey to me.

http://tinyurl.com/7s7qfmr
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]