Those 'snowflake' characters.

90 Night Elf Rogue
I've been trawling through the forums, not just our own realm forum but other roleplaying forums and roleplay realm forums and from what I've seen people have a great dislike of what they call 'snowflake' characters. These characters are the kind that are different to everyone else and for the most part they are unique. What I want to ask is, why is there such a dislike for them? I'd rather have a lot more unique characters than usual types you see.

But, partly, I must a gree with some of the points I have seen made, there is a point where your character stops being unique and becomes unbelieveable or it seems like you're trying far too hard to make your character stand out, which can be a problem if you want to roleplay with strangers.

So, for those unsure of what to discuss on, please share your thoughts on these 'snowflake' characters and on what you think is the boundary on what is unique and what is plain silly.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
When you bend/create your own lore to justify your character thats going to far or you try and recreate a character from your favorite book/tv series/game that also going abit over board specially when the character won't fit in with wow lore. Everybody wants to be special just one of those things, specially with some younger players. Some people just think they are being super creative and that no one has ever created a character like thiers.

I think it is just one of those things RPers will have to learn to cope with it will always be around like females with narrow waists and huge boobs. Don't like it ignore it is how I deal with it, not worth getting your blood pressure up over a game, besides constantly telling lecturing people on why their character is wrong kinda makes you look like a !@@%.
Reply Quote
It's the idea your character has to be unique in concept in order to be interesting that I dislike. There are so many things you can do to make your character interesting other than having token quirks. It can be used like a crutch to replace good character development, and that leaves to unsatisfactory roleplay - which is often also centred entirely around the "snowflake" character, and not a roughly equal balance between everybody involved like it ought to be.
Edited by Ursala on 20/02/2012 19:56 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
My only problem with that, Ursala, is that some people begin to alienate anyone who tries something just a little bit different with their character. And rather than leading to unsatisfactory roleplay it leads to no roleplay what so ever. But I do agree that in more than a few cases character development is forsaken in so that the "snowflake" character can keep their uniqueness. And I really hope uniqueness is a word.
Reply Quote
Yeah - "once a bad roleplayer, always a bad roleplayer" is always a huge fallacy & one that can dismantle communities - as well as "once a bad concept, always a bad concept".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Aye, some of the time the roleplayer isn't bad, they've just set themselves to much of a task by applying a (by no means bad or wrong) different from the norm concept and the community, which I'm afraid to say in our case is a little too fast to judge jumps on this person and shuns them.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Maybe it is because in most cases with people with 'diffirent' characters tend to smack you in the face with their special uniqueness with in five minutes of you looking at them in stead of gradually working it into your RP. Give people a chance to judge you on your merits as a RPer, that way they are less likely to completely ignore you once they find out about what ever it is that makes you 'special' if they ever do.
Reply Quote
8 Troll Druid
I agree, I knew a bloody great roleplayer, he wasn't the kind of person to accept everyone but we were talking about this sort of thing and I have to say I agree with him. "I don't mind people roleplaying dragons, vampires or whatever. As long as they do it properly and don't walk into a random tavern or bar announcing to everyone that they are special in one way or another. Oh yeah and if they do roleplay a vampire, if it sparkles I'm going to find out where they live and murder them." I mean, if you want to roleplay a dragon, do it without telling anyone in character, you can have subtle hints like say you're in a travelling group, you mysteriously disappear and arrive at the destination far before everyone else with no mount in sight.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yeah - "once a bad roleplayer, always a bad roleplayer" is always a huge fallacy & one that can dismantle communities - as well as "once a bad concept, always a bad concept".

Pretty much this, the vast majority of people who make up the masses of RP guilds generally start playing on a server with either a light or new interest in roleplaying or have no clue concerning it but pick it up later on. We're all learners at some point. It's important to look beyond shallow lables and take the game for what it is, not for what it isn't. WoW for example, has never stricken me as a serious environment. I can't take it half as seriously as I could something like Lotr or even Guild Wars, it's much too childish, toony and comical. Seeing a gnome cracking jokes outside of a bar, or watching a man walk around town on his hands isn't that hard to believe in a universe like WoW.

I saw someone go ballistic on somoene once, because they were sitting in the corner with a gnomish MP3esque 'Noise Box'. We have -bikes-, we have -choppers-, we have -monitors-, we have -ROBOTS-. Godammnit, when will people learn that WoW just isn't built for a great deal of realism? I'm not saying that certain attributes and physic aspects should be bent. If someone is stabbed through the heart, they're more than likely going to die but hey, we can also ressurect the freshly deceased, apparently, and bring back spirits of the dead.

Snowflaking? I laugh harshly at people who condemn people for snowflaking while only looking at their own lore characters face value. WoW's lore is built upon characters who have snowflaked constantly throughout its development, most prominently, 'Thrall', the peace loving super shaman orc who has mastered the dragon-soul kamehameha, aspect of the Earth and better War Chief of Orgrimmar. I look down on anything that doesn't exist within the lore such as vampires(Even though there's a rather neat alternative to them) or uh, jeez. There's not much that does -not- exist in Azeroth.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
20/02/2012 22:06Posted by Feyjin
"I don't mind people roleplaying dragons, vampires or whatever. As long as they do it properly and don't walk into a random tavern or bar announcing to everyone that they are special in one way or another.

Yeah, that's my opinion on the subject. So long as they're not throwing into my face, they can RP as they please.

I RP a "snowflake" concept, but boy do they hide it in public, some people know though.
Reply Quote
5 Dwarf Paladin
This topic is both new and interesting and I'm sure we will reach new heights in co-operation as to whatever we decide as the outcome of this thread.
Reply Quote
70 Troll Warrior
I think the biggest mistake these people make is that they have the misconception that they have to Mary-Sue-ify their characters to make them "interesting" and "unique". A character doesn't have to be a special little billy to be unique or interesting. Especially making -powerful- characters doesn't make 'em interesting.

After all, all good stories with interesting characters usually have them being quite weak and weaker than their opponents. People root for David, not for Goliath. The stronger you make your character, the more you will distance yourself from the audience. You'll end up with a character people cannot sympathize with. And thus they will loose interest.

Besides, if everyone was a powerful special little billy, it wouldn't be cool anymore! Special powerful characters are only cool because there's so -few- of them. In RP there's so much powerful characters that the weak ones become the cool ones! Atleast, that's my opinion.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
I think a big problem is that people are far too quick to throw about the term 'Mary Sue' thesedays, so much so that it's lost most of it's meaning.

Don't get me wrong, when people make a character with an over-the-top gimmick, just to be special, that's some pretty crappy RP right there. But sometimes people add a genuinely interesting trait to their character, and just because no one else thought of it first and thus it makes them 'unique' (which for some reason is a bad word in the RP community), they're a Mary Sue.

People need to be a little more open-minded when it comes to character concepts, and not instantly shoot-down someone just for having a unique trait.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
What is interesting about the theory above is that every character has a little trait of sue-ism from the beginning. I once did a litmus test on one of my older characters and got a low score where the test told me that I needed to show some love to the character and not forget him because of it being low.

Then again litmus tests are... not accurate as they cannot accomodate everything, but they do steer you away from the huge massive pitfuls of sue-ism.

I think if you are going to have a unique trait, it is better to play it down or only mention it to a few people who the character considers friends.
Reply Quote
81 Undead Priest
A 'snowflake' to me is a kawaii demon catgirl. With a manganime sounding name that is also the most sexiest thing in the world.

Now, all have something special. Be it an accent, an odd fascination with cheese or even liking to chew on their hair.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The problem is when you encounter what would appear to be what is a partial demon, worgen, night elf and undead, who is being etheral when you try to /e him, kindly asking him for his characters background, out of mere curiosity, and i got one with slaughtering a whole village, i asked for a bit more and then how it fits into the lore again out of curiosity and he responded i quote.
"I do know the lore, i just don't really give a !@#$ about it, as it's only uncreative douches who follows it, you are flaming me for being creative, what is your problem loller?"

But i do not mind people having powerful characters as i in Alapans MRP states that he is a powerful follower of the light, it does not mean he is more powerful than any other persons character.

21/02/2012 11:32Posted by Zixxle
I think a big problem is that people are far too quick to throw about the term 'Mary Sue' thesedays, so much so that it's lost most of it's meaning.

I do agree, we all will give our characters this little OP or special thing too them, I guess that is eventually what makes them interesting, heck i even play a common man, a farmer actually, he does have a bit of a flaw with his personality, as he has two different mind sets.

Yeah, i do tend to be fast on the tricker with the mary-sue myself when i get to think about it, i will surely take your sentence to heart greedy green skin :)
Reply Quote
81 Undead Priest
21/02/2012 15:10Posted by Álapan
"I do know the lore, i just don't really give a !@#$ about it, as it's only uncreative douches who follows it, you are flaming me for being creative, what is your problem loller?"

Fcuk no.
This is when you slap them with a newspaper. You then ask them: "Well, if you created a story with a world and got tons of fans, wouldn't you be pissed if suddenly they created a SUPERSAIYANHALFDEMONFULLDEMONKNUCKLESGUNCYBORG when the usual race actually only is SUPERSAIYANHALFDEMONFULLDEMONKNUCKLES? Now, in WoW you get 12 races to choose from, how would you react if Blizz told you: 'Nah, dude, we're not going to really let you break our lore, stick to it next time, pal.' and banned you for a week? Think for one second. Kthx. Have a nice day."
Reply Quote
Yeah, i do tend to be fast on the tricker with the mary-sue myself...

Yeah, I get that as well... but only regarding my own characters. -.-'

I'm always afraid I'd come through as... y'know, too much of a hero, especially for a shaman who technically can't heal.

The funny thing is, when I actually make a mental list there's a lot more stuff pushing Ryk away from being a Sue than there are genuine Sue-ish elements... xD

As for special snowflakes... to an extent every character should be special or risk coming across as bland and boring. Now if that means you're (my own example) a Fire shaman who can't use her powers to heal others and who's got a bit of a messed-up family past (in short, daddy was big bad Blackrock officer who killed a lot of dudes and drank demon blood twice), it's not really a bad thing I'd say. It makes your character's choices and personality make more sense.

However, when you're blatantly disregarding the lore, that's not constructive. In fact, it merely means you're less likely to be accepted by the community. It is an established world after all, with its rules and stories.
Reply Quote
For me the true test of "is this person playing a snowflake?" is "do they get really annoyed when they meet someone with a similar concept, accuse the other of copying them, and insist with varying degrees of bad language that the other person changes their character concept away from "their" idea?"

When a complex or otherwise outlandish concept is there for the sole purpose of being ~unique~ and not for the purposes of giving interesting situations to work with, providing interesting character interaction with others, or sparking a plot of some kind for people to take part in - that's when we have a problem. And those situations are actually kinda rare!

And there are other problems with players like that which tend to show up first, beyond their obsession with being "the only half-elf/high-elf/half-orc in the village" - common ones being selfishness and over-the-top attention-demanding behaviour. They're also harder to approach the player about fixing, though. "Could you be less aggressive towards <player with similar concept>?" is easier to say nonconfrontationally than "Could you stop hogging the spotlight?"

This all said, players change, especially if they disappear for a month or two (or longer!) and come back. I mean, just take a look at the Sha'tar Confessions thread - most of us were huge noobs when we were younger, and have got better since. We as roleplayers need to remember to give people chances wherever reasonable; kids grow up, idiots learn their lessons and bullies learn that sometimes they need to play nice. Yes, mistakes happen - yes, bad roleplay is a thing - but like I said earlier, "once a bad roleplayer, always a bad roleplayer" is a huge fallacy that can rip communities apart.

I think the epidemic of wrongly judging people on past mistakes is bigger than the epidemic of special snowflakes.
Reply Quote
I believe the only thing we can do, is try to steer these "Snowflake" characters towards what is more.. Well, commonly acceptable, what's more common in basics. If you would for instance take the snowflake RPer to be a Dragon who has split minds and is the son of.. Alexstraza.
That being hypothetically (Gods hope we never meet someone like that) then shouting at them won't help one bit they'll just ignore you. You can only really guide them to a straight path.

Of course some won't use the lore or stick religiously to it or they'll use it as a guideline. But the ones that are actually bothered truly about their RP will change their character when shown what's wrong with it.

Personally though. I find that while "Snowflake" characters annoy me greatly I can put up with them, or rather I should put up with them as I myself have had a few of such characters. Point I think I'm making is that these sort of peeps will always exist and there's no real way of ridding the realm of them.

There will of course always exist that small number of people who simply won't change, and will insist on being a "snowflake" char. Though why are they even called snowflakes..?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]