Fire Mage noob time!

85 Blood Elf Mage
As the title suggests, i'm gonna be asking that same old question that i'm sure many have asked before me.... BUT before i get started let me have a lil say on whats happening.

My Gear is ok, i still have a couple of items to replace in 397 gear, but the setup is ok, my enchants are in order, and so is my gemming (think i need to replace the mastery ones, not done so as not sure on spec yet) my current reforges are set for fire spec, using wow reforger site. My DPS as arcane is fantastic, i've worked hard on it for a long time, i push what i can from it, but i now feel it lacks the drive in my progression, I am 1/8 DS hc, but i want to push further.
Now with my fire spec in place, i have Combustion Helper loaded, aswell as spellflash (using as a guide only, not for a proper rotation) i'll go for a mana burn buffed up (tried this in ds10 for full party buffs) and still only achieving around 25k dps average.

So my question stands clear as day, where the actual **** am I going wrong?!? (yes this is fustrating me no end!!!)
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
03/03/2012 13:13Posted by Drachaos
My DPS as arcane is fantastic, i've worked hard on it for a long time

I hear Arcane is a tricky one..
Reply Quote
03/03/2012 14:25Posted by Haydenwk
My DPS as arcane is fantastic, i've worked hard on it for a long time

I hear Arcane is a tricky one..

Hey Mr 12 year old. How about you answer his question instead of making a bonk comment?
As to the OP, no idea mate, just use it for pvp because it's a lot of fun (aye some of us do play for that). Have you checked EJ etc for guidance?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
03/03/2012 14:50Posted by Titaniumwolf
Hey Mr 12 year old

I'm 18 actually, but Hello!ox

03/03/2012 14:50Posted by Titaniumwolf
How about you answer his question instead of making a bonk comment?

It was an ideal moment not to troll, sorry bro, but however nifty you want to sound here, I'm better.
Edited by Haydenwk on 03/03/2012 15:22 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Could you link some of your logs? That would help a lot. Where do you pull 25k DPS? On Morchok HC or at Warmaster it's not that bad, but it would be if we were talking about Deathwing or Yor'sahj. Y U NO GIVE DETAILS. Please, do :).

On the other hand, I would recommend using Mage Nuggets, it helps a lot with your Combustion since it tracks your actual Ignites.

Your Haste rating is too much for my taste, sometimes it's better calculate your stats with paper and pen than relying on a feature such as reforger sites. You should really swap out those Mastery gems as you don't need Mastery at all on Fire.

Btw, it's not related to your DPS but why don't you have Cauterize? Once you start progressing further with HC bosses, you're gonna need it really bad (especially on Ultraxion HC), while Clearcasting is almost useless on Fire.

EDIT: I would go for a different Gloves enchant as well. Mastery is a big no-no.
Edited by Rhaia on 03/03/2012 15:33 GMT
Reply Quote
03/03/2012 15:22Posted by Haydenwk
Hey Mr 12 year old

I'm 18 actually, but Hello!ox

How about you answer his question instead of making a bonk comment?

It was an ideal moment not to troll, sorry bro, but however nifty you want to sound here, I'm better.

Lol. I have no point to prove, you however want to get laid so need to big yourself up a bit. Quick tip - go to the pub for women.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
On the other hand, I would recommend using Mage Nuggets, it helps a lot with your Combustion since it tracks your actual Ignites.

Forgot to mention i had that aswell, as it's a must with arcane i find.

Could you link some of your logs? That would help a lot. Where do you pull 25k DPS? On Morchok HC or at Warmaster it's not that bad, but it would be if we were talking about Deathwing or Yor'sahj. Y U NO GIVE DETAILS. Please, do :)

I'm happy to get any logs at all for you, do you recommend anything in paticular for recording logs to post here?

In regards to your insights on gemming and such, I think now after seeing that lil bit of confirmation i'll regem and sort my last enchant out, with the gems do i wanna spec in 25int/25crit? or haste? With the cauterize, tbh i really didn't think at the time it was gonna be that useful to me, but as i play more with fire and push further with progression i'm starting to notice the future benefits of speccing it in.

With the haste being too much, should i look more into crit and see where i can go from there?

Sorry this prolly has been just a mass of questions in return to yours, but as they say, if ya gonna do something.... do it right lol.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Flaming and trolling against me will bring you only 1 thing.... nothing, I'm learning, and we all gotta start somewhere, i just used my resources to get more insight ;)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
03/03/2012 15:50Posted by Titaniumwolf

At least have something to sport before being a dick. Playing an undead male on stormscale does not make you good. Nope.
Also we wont think less of you if you chose to share warm feelings, happy thoughts, hugs and kisses and stuff like that, instead of pretending to be some hardcore derp. That tip applies to IRL situations aswell.

On Topic:
I made a fairly lengthy post some time back, so I wont quote it here, but you should really go and read
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3144505953
it contains some useful tips, and since we, as Rhaia said, have no logs to look at, this is what you get, for now :p

EDIT: Just saw your new post
25int / crit gems.
Drop as low as 1505 haste but no lower than that. if you lack some raid haste buffs, you need to compensate for that. What's your setup like?
Use World of Logs if you can. Your guild should be logging your raids tbh.
www.worldoflogs.com
Edited by Dutícyaa on 03/03/2012 16:03 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
It means alot thank you, once i get logs i shall post away and regularly aswell to monitor progression.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
If your guild regurarly uploads World of Logs (or if you have a site at all), some of those would be nice. But you didn't answer one of the most important questions: at wich fights do you do your average 25k DPS? :)

Personally I don't bother with mixed gems (I'm losing like 5-5 Int here and there), 'cause it's easier changing reforges between fights than swapping gems in and out. I won't recommend you to do the same, but if you are mainly on Fire spec, 25 Int + 25 Crit gems would prove more useful.

The ideal Haste rating you should go for with your gear is 1505. I can see that you reforged some of your stats into Haste, which isn't actually needed. Once you've reached Hit cap (17%, you get that, that's good) and this 1505 Haste, you can stack Crit like crazy.

EDIT: curse you, Dutícyaa :P. Btw, he/she is one of the best mages around, so his/her advices are just as good (or better) than mines :P.
Edited by Rhaia on 03/03/2012 16:06 GMT
Reply Quote
Good luck Drach. Remember that dps is situational and depends on the fight. Do you need burst or sustained? For me fire seems more sustained and arcane burst. If it fits it fits, so your guild/rl should be aware of that.
Edited by Titaniumwolf on 03/03/2012 16:11 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
03/03/2012 16:05Posted by Rhaia
If your guild regurarly uploads World of Logs (or if you have a site at all), some of those would be nice. But you didn't answer one of the most important questions: at wich fights do you do your average 25k DPS? :)

Thankfully we do log our runs http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/152610/ I been arcane up until last reset, where i've tried dabbling in fire abit, If thats of any use to you. If i remember right Warmaster Blackhorn i was averaging 16/17k and with something like Warlord i think that came to around 25k dps, which with my level of gear and buffs is quiet appaling.

So the plan with the gems... straight 50's?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
03/03/2012 16:05Posted by Rhaia
Btw, he/she is one of the best mages around, so his/her advices are just as good (or better) than mines :P.

Why thank you! This is the best topic ever. I got to bash a troll, the guy who asked for help even goes as far as to thank for it when he gets it, and as a bonus a girl (I guess) gave me a compliment :D

Also I'm a guy, but I don't have any problems with my sexuality! D:

My day has been made.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Just took a quick look at your logs. On this ultraxion kill that I found:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-j17yjcp06pojjfvy/sum/damageDone/?s=1103&e=1378

If you have a ret paladin in your group, there's absolutely no reason to be arcane unless you are progressing on heroic spine. Reason is, arcane is only better on single target if your group lacks 3% damage done. Rets bring that.

You lack 10% spellpower buff, so you lose 4% spellpower there, since you get 6% from Int buff.
You lack 8% spell damage taken. One of your hunters could go with a pet that provided that. Would benefit your raid a lot since it benefits rets and hunters too I believe.

You also lack 5% crit chance debuff. Go fire ;o

Also your damage during your burn phases as arcane seems quite low.
Edited by Dutícyaa on 03/03/2012 16:39 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage

Thankfully we do log our runs http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/152610/ I been arcane up until last reset, where i've tried dabbling in fire abit, If thats of any use to you. If i remember right Warmaster Blackhorn i was averaging 16/17k and with something like Warlord i think that came to around 25k dps, which with my level of gear and buffs is quiet appaling.

I barely find any useful logs, so next time you raid with your guild, bump this topic and it will be easier to find the solution.

Why thank you! This is the best topic ever. I got to bash a troll, the guy who asked for help even goes as far as to thank for it when he gets it, and as a bonus a girl (I guess) gave me a compliment :D

Your guess is right, but it's not a compliment. Back then when I was struggling with my DPS, it helped me a lot to stalk some of the people's logs who post here and find what they do different. Yours was exceptionally useful.

Now I look like a stalker, awesome.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I will take it as a compliment anyway!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Ok from here i've made the decision to go with fire, with arcane on OS should it be needed. As with my arcane being low on bursts, I thought this might be the case, I could focus on this, but i believe and from what your saying, i should go fire to further my progression and for my guild. Still unsure on gems, enchant is being changed now, and having a play with stat weighers to get optimal. Again thanks guys, the time your taking out is really appreciated :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Ok I have done all my changes, please inspect the armoury and let me know what you think : Cheers
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Haste > Mastery even after 1505 haste point so you need to reforge your head from hit to haste.

Then put +65 mastery on gloves.

Good to see all those epic gems btw.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Your stats seem fine to me now, gemming is alright as well. Go, get 'em, tiger, and bring some logs back :P.

03/03/2012 17:26Posted by Dutícyaa
I will take it as a compliment anyway!

My pleasure :P.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]