Wiping on DW, dps too low?

4 Blood Elf Warlock
My main is an Alliance Warrior ilvl 392 7/8 DW.

We die in DS10 because the tentacle kills the tank before we can kill it. I'm pulling 36k, but it then builds up to 44k. The tank gets killed by the 4rth tentacle.

We go as such, dps pot on first claw, along with Heroism, then personal cooldowns when bloods come so we AoE them down, thats easy as an arms warrior.

But the tank dies before we can kill the big orange tentacle, the ones that use impale. Like wayyy before it's even close to dying, like before elementium bolt is cast on the final claw/wing.

How the hell can I make up that much dps?

Our dps is as following

rogue 43-47k
me 44k
mage 34k
rogue 30k
warrior 30k
Paladin 26k

Yeah I know some of those numbers are really low, but I calculated even if all our dps is 47k that tentacle will still be alive. And the fact that we made it to the final claw just makes me wonder wth is wrong.

Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
It is my understanding that you are using a single tank?

yIf Your dps is too low to kill the claw before 2nd impale, the easiest thing for you at the moment is to use two tanks. You just switch them for impales and there's no problems.

Over-all dps won't be a problem by going 2 tanks, since the 10% nerf.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Dps overall is quite lowish, but after the last nerf, I guess it shouldn't be impossible.

We use a 3 healer, 2 tank, 5 dps setup. We always blow Heroism at start (prepot a few secs before the fight) so we can use a second Heroism (with second pot) in phase 2.

Platform prio is: Green > Red > Yellow > Blue. Use offensive cooldowns on tentacle. Tanks use defensive cooldowns (and debuff on green platform) on impale, other raidmembers can help too (for example, priest=Pain Supression, warrtank can Safeguard other tank, etc).

Killprio: Elementium Bolt* > Blisterings > Bloods* (if possible, pull them in yellow circle) > Tentacle > Arm/Wing

*Get these down asap.

On last platform (blue), we let the Bolt crash. Before it does, we stack at the boss and blow defensive cooldowns.

phase 2: kill adds asap. As soon as adds are down, blow second heroism + pot + available offensive cooldowns and nuke Deathwing down, ignoring new adds (tanks pick up the 2 big ones). Use green platform ability when you get Shrapnel debuff.
Edited by Beauterham on 05/03/2012 15:16 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
What is the Platform order you guys are using?
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Warrior
2 healers should be enough, atleast the way we are doing it is

1 tank
2 healers
7 dps

How is your dps, do you comfortable kill the claw before cataclysm? If so you can get your members to use cds on the corruption (the one that does the impale).

Platforms i would do like Beauterham

On blue pop heroism on the corruption, and use pots (if you got issues killing it before the bolt lands)

If you dont need heroism on blue, then its best to save it kill 1 wave of schratinells (or how ever you spell it) and 1 wave of big adds, then pop everything and nuke boss.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
05/03/2012 12:08Posted by Beauterham
We use a 3 healer, 2 tank, 6 dps setup.
11 people? :o
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
On my other Warrior, we always go 2 Healer 1 Tank 7 DPS.

Using this setup it means the tentacle has to die before second Impale/Bolt comes, I personally usually sit around 46k~ normally which can spike up to 53k+ during the AoE moments (as Arms).

Use CDs on the first pull, Lust and Reck - don't forget to prepot before the pull.

It's important that after your CDs have come up off CD you HAVE to save them for the 4th platform Corruption, because that has to die 5-10 seconds before the Bolt starts coming so you can get away from the impact Area and into a PW:Barrier (or something like that).

So things like Reck, Demon Soul, Adrenaline Rush and so on have to be used on that Corruption, that might be part of your problem if you aren't saving them for that, you definitely don't need them on the last part when Deathwing falls down so you shouldn't be saving them for there.
Edited by Rasen on 05/03/2012 17:18 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
We use a 3 healer, 2 tank, 6 dps setup.
11 people? :o

yeah, it's a special tactic. ;)

Meant 3 healers, 2 tanks and 5 DPS ofc. Edited my previous post.
Edited by Beauterham on 05/03/2012 15:17 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Pre 5% nerf, we screwed up on Madness with one tank, so we went with 2. It was 10man ofc, back when I was ally that is.

Top damage was 61k by a shadow priest, then 60 by arms warr 58k rogue etc etc. Lowest was 33k by a warlock and we managed to do it pre nerf with 2 tanks. Believe me, it's easier to handle the bolt, when it falls, if you have one tank to tank it, and pop CD's (we had a pally which popped cd's and was insta LoH'ed if impale was casted after bolt).

I think you have the dps now, after all it's 10% nerf, you should be fine.

Hope you kill it and have fun, cheers.
Reply Quote
4 Blood Elf Warlock
damn idk where to find anoter tank we already struggle to get a full team.

05/03/2012 12:09Posted by Skygantic
What is the Platform order you guys are using?

The one where thrall is standing first, then far left, then right from that etc. Tank always dies to the Tentacle on that platform.

Dps overall is quite lowish, but after the last nerf, I guess it shouldn't be impossible.

We use a 3 healer, 2 tank, 5 dps setup. We always blow Heroism at start (prepot a few secs before the fight) so we can use a second Heroism (with second pot) in phase 2.

Platform prio is: Green > Red > Yellow > Blue. Use offensive cooldowns on tentacle. Tanks use defensive cooldowns (and debuff on green platform) on impale, other raidmembers can help too (for example, priest=Pain Supression, warrtank can Safeguard other tank, etc).

Killprio: Elementium Bolt* > Blisterings > Bloods* (if possible, pull them in yellow circle) > Tentacle > Arm/Wing

*Get these down asap.

On last platform (blue), we let the Bolt crash. Before it does, we stack at the boss and blow defensive cooldowns.

phase 2: kill adds asap. As soon as adds are down, blow second heroism + pot + available offensive cooldowns and nuke Deathwing down, ignoring new adds (tanks pick up the 2 big ones). Use green platform ability when you get Shrapnel debuff.

This is 100% what we do, but we have 1 tank. I don't see us doing any better with 2?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Make people save cooldowns for the tentacle

*Get these down asap.

The killing order is just what the group prefers we do Green:Yellow:Red:blue
Edited by Paars on 05/03/2012 22:46 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior

This is 100% what we do, but we have 1 tank. I don't see us doing any better with 2?

Well, your groups DPS is quite low-ish, so I see it might be a problem to get the tentacle down before the second impale. Now unless you have an awesome Pally tank it will be really hard for the tank to survive. This is why it's easier for groups with low DPS to go with 2 tanks, so they can switch on impale.

But I must say, if you really want us to figure out how to help you, we need more information. Are you logging the fight on WoL? Or can you at least tell who are in your group so we can check if they can improve their spec, gear?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
05/03/2012 17:44Posted by Gorillarapto

Well the 1st Impale debuffs it's target so the 2nd impale deals x2 damage, 800k pre-nerf, so if you have 2 tanks, you don't need to kill the corruption before the second impale. Which is what I understand to be the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
mage 34k
rogue 30k
warrior 30k
Paladin 26k
those r low dps wise unless the paly is a tan ofc
they need to up their game to the 40k area as a warrior if hes not tank he sould be doing well dps wise same as the rogue but yeh pref is to nuke it as quick as possible before or just as the bolt is fired
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
And gain better gear with your raid group ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
how can you do 30k on madness?
im not even sure i can get that even if i try :(
(on my alt)

edit:
then again i am a gnome, and therefore have good dps! (fact) :p
Edited by Zomy on 14/03/2012 00:34 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
13/03/2012 23:51Posted by Zomy

Seems kinda low-ish as I'm doing 60-70k without really focusing because I hate that fight & it's boring as all hell
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
14/03/2012 08:38Posted by Zrénak

Seems kinda low-ish as I'm doing 60-70k without really focusing because I hate that fight & it's boring as all hell

got logs for this? curious ;)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
05/03/2012 17:44Posted by Gorillarapto
damn idk where to find anoter tank we already struggle to get a full team.

You mean you get to 7/8 with 1 tank set up? how do you do that?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]