how do i beat a frost mage?

90 Human Paladin
is this the only class that we paladins cant beat? i find it impossible

do you guys have anytips
Reply Quote
21 Human Paladin
how to beat a frost mage :
Repentance - RUN. (hope that he got trinket on CD).

on a serious note ,idk vs a very skilled mage i think it can't be done. it's our counter & way to good 1 as it should be. CCS slows ,Spellsteal ,everything + insane damage along the way.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
05/03/2012 12:05Posted by Judgmènt
is this the only class that we paladins cant beat?

Count yourself lucky if that's the only class you can't beat 1on1. :]
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
is this the only class that we paladins cant beat?

There are more, it just depends if the guy on the other side of screen is good.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
do you guys have anytips

Find a place where you can LoS and not stand in the middle of nowhere.

If there is no such place, my tip would be to either run away or stay as a ghost for the duration of the time the mage is around.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
interesting tips >D

im trying to do a video on how to beat each class 1v1 not for expierence player on the 2.3K + range its mostly for players who are casual and do alot of random bgs or do arena with friends so mostly on the 1.4 to 1.5k range! i have not been able to find a way to beat a mage for my tips videos.

i want to be like the stepping stone to successful ret paladins >D

although the last two seasons ive been pretty bad haha and not really found viable partners that suit me ever since moving to outland.
Edited by Judgmènt on 05/03/2012 13:04 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I think you should dispel off from roots before they get to cast to you since they have talent that grants much crit chance to frozen targets. Blink removes stun, so do stun after mage has blinked.
Reply Quote
21 Human Paladin
05/03/2012 13:00Posted by Silverfling
Blink removes stun, so do stun after mage has blinked.

ice block inc. long enough he got his Cds back ,with kiting a little.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
05/03/2012 13:04Posted by Bruceelee
Blink removes stun, so do stun after mage has blinked.

ice block inc. long enough he got his Cds back ,with kiting a little.
They can't do that as often as you can stun, at least it is better than not using stun.

Frost mage will propably use deep freeze as soon as possible, so as soon as he gets FoF or you get freezed pop divine protection so you take less damage during DF.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
u play hunter
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Basically, if you think you can regularly beat a good frost mage 1on1, go to Durotar/Elwyn and find some geared, high rated frost mages and duel them a few times.

You will understand why you really should avoid 1on1s with decent frost mages.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
05/03/2012 13:45Posted by Bridgey
When they 1st deep you instant trinket and repentance them.

will most mages blink the repentance?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Basically, if you think you can regularly beat a good frost mage 1on1, go to Durotar/Elwyn and find some geared, high rated frost mages and duel them a few times.

You will understand why you really should avoid 1on1s with decent frost mages.

i already know that lol, but im sure they is a way! cuz i never hear a high rated player complain about mages... (example jimos)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
Look, the bottom line is, you're screwed.
If a frost mage wants to, he can play with you.

Take this into account (which most frost mages don't do against rets cuz it's "unfair");

1. Mage starts from invisibility
2. They sheep you.
3. a)They take out about 20% of your HP in the first frostbolt + icelance if you don't trinket.
b) You trinket, they DF you and take 50% of your HP in the following shatter.
4. All downhill from there.

Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Constant dispelling is the key imo, HoF when you get close not as gap closer, then you'll be immune to his shatter barrier/coc and he'll either use some defenses or spam spellsteal to get lucky on HoF while you're hitting him. Trinket and bubble are the first 2 DF that buys you a minute. Also like someone suggested glyphed DP can also be used to soak a DF, works best on the first cause it`s the most predictable and maybe he'll assume you'll trinket and won't use his dps cds (IV+trinket), if he does that before the DF then you should trinket.
Tbh if you make him blink before you stun him then you should have the upper hand, again use CDS when you get close and he doesn't have nova/freeze cd available. Normally here he should IB and wait for his cds but if he blows it on the stun you should be able to take him down. Kill his elemental while he's in IB, in BGs usually he has cd ready all the time but in arenas they start with 3 min Cd on elemental.
From all the melee classes paladin is the most versatile against frost mages due the snare "immunity".
Edited by Gannet on 05/03/2012 16:45 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The glyph of Divine Protection is very useful, try to time it before you get Deep Freezed. Or if you get DF'd, and the mage uses cooldowns (Icy Veins and trinkets), trinket the DF, and use the protection, they usually have atleast one Finger of Frost proc and it hurts.

Repentance as gap closer, or to interrupt a cast and to prevent bursts.

In BG's, go hide inside little houses (F.E. Warsong Gulch, Alterac Valley horde bases...), Mages are screwed if you stay inside the house and don't move from there. They are vulnerable if they don't have enough range to you.

Paladin is IMO the weakest melee to counter a Mage, only due to Spellsteal, and the fact Paladins don't have snares. Unless you use houses to stay constantly in melee range.

Pro tip: /cancelaura Avenging Wrath. Throw only one hammer, because they just instantly steal it from you. Unless you get lucky and manage to stun him when the mage can't trinket/Ice Block. Don't use AW if you don't have Inquisition up.

Another tip, Zealotry does enough damage with AW when bubbled, you have 8 seconds to stay in melee range, but again watch out if the mage has Ice Block off cooldown. If possible, use GoaK 10-20 seconds before you use Zealotry.

Remember to BoM when using Zealotry. It's 20% AP and its a lot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]