Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

33 Dwarf Shaman
Greetings, my fellow WoW-players!

I'm currently looking forward to buy a Macbook. My problem is whether I should buy the MBP or MBA?
I'm going to use it for both high school/university and for WoW-gaming.

Tech specs for Macbook Pro:
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html

Tech specs for Macbook Air:
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html

- Just to make it clear, I'm only interested in the 13-inch models.

Thanks in advance, Moranius :-)
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Hi.

This isn't a general "come talk to other WoW players" forum, it's a specific locale for those requiring help due to issues with the game client or networking problems.

You can find the General Forum here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/872818/

And perhaps more appropriately again, there is a Games, Gaming and Hardware Forum located here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/2252140/
Reply Quote
33 Dwarf Shaman
I read this thread:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1710172575

So I thought, that I can use the technical forum as well, to get an answer to my question :-).
Edited by Moranius on 09/03/2012 14:26 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Mac Technical Support forum missing

I'm not saying "eww, Mac, go away".

I'm saying "not a Technical Support issue".
Reply Quote
Hey.

If you're not going above 13", there's little point buying a MBP. Only the larger models come with dedicated GPU's.
If you want a small machine like that, you might as well go for an Air; There's little advantage to a MBP spec-wise. The processor is the only real difference, and the Air is fast enough to not bottleneck on WoW.

Next to that, the standard SSD should be a performance increase over the HDD in the MBP.
Don't expect high/ultra graphics: You won't get them without a dedicated GPU - But you should be able to run the game decently on either.

~Vaeil
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Mac Technical Support forum missing

I'm not saying "eww, Mac, go away".

I'm saying "not a Technical Support issue".

Surely you could just give the guy a hand instead of going down the "this is not a technical support forum I must not answer it but only give a lecture about how its wrong to post here" Your not a blue poster and its not your job to tell people where they can and cannot post so quit pretending it is and post something constructive.

Rant over.

Moranius to be perfectly honest neither will be great for playing World of Warcraft, they are not gaming grade machines and considering both use Intel HD 3000 graphics I suspect you will struggle to hit ultra and a decent framerate.

Macs are not gaming machines they are designed for video and graphic editing mainly and thats what they do best, unless your planning on using this machine for such a thing quite honestly its not a particularly good buy as if you want to primaraly play WoW you will need to get the Macbook Pro with a ATI Radeon Graphics Card (not the model you listed) which weighs in at around £1,500 ($1,700 USD on the Apple site) and even then the card it gives you will probs not be able to run WoW on ultra at 60 FPS (I might be wrong)

For £1,500 you could get a great desktop that will run pretty much any game on the market with no problem or a laptop that will be able to run WoW on ultra and play any other game on the market. an example would be this
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Laptops/Gaming+Laptops/MSI+GT780DX+17.3%22+Gaming+Laptop+-+GTX+570M+Dedicated+Graphics+w%2F+FREE+Dirt+3+%2B+Deus+EX+Games+%2B+FREE+NETBOOK!+?productId=47310
Much better specification, bigger screen.

To conclude if you are looking for a PC primarly for your high school work and something that can run WoW every now and then sure go with the Mac as they can run Adobe applications better than any PC.

However if you want to do alot of gaming a Windows Laptop will be better as you will get a better system for your money that can run any game on the market and furthermore it will run Adobe programs absoloutely fine.

Edit:
Next to that, the standard SSD should be a performance increase over the HDD in the MBP.

True, however the SSDs available are not that large and as a primary drive (considering the Macbook Air has no secondary drive bay) the OP will probs need to buy a external hard drive to save files too otherwise them SSDs will fill up quite quick, especially if you choose a 128GB one, as for the 256GB one I suspect its quite pricey, I know they sell a 500GB SSD with Apple Macbooks but that costs £500 to add to the system which granted is a reasonable price for the size of the SSD but overall its a lot of money to part with.

To be honest looking at the Macbook Air I can't help but feel its Apples answer to the Netbook all be it a bit higher spec, granted it can probs run Adobe Suite absoloutely fine but gaming on it would be difficult.
Edited by Saffiyya on 09/03/2012 18:44 GMT
Reply Quote
09/03/2012 18:37Posted by Saffiyya
To be honest looking at the Macbook Air I can't help but feel its Apples answer to the Netbook all be it a bit higher spec, granted it can probs run Adobe Suite absoloutely fine but gaming on it would be difficult.

That's not a really bad deduction.
Jobs specifically stated his dislike of netbooks, and the Air is more of an ultralight laptop than a netbook.
You are also quite right in saying Macs aren't ideal for gaming. I have a Mac myself, and I can happily game on it - But it's not designed for, nor meant for actual 'gamers'. It is possible to do it via bootcamp or a VM, but that's not really all that wonderful to count on.

However, if the question is: Macbook Air 13", or Macbook Pro 13"; Then the answer is -in my opinion- the Air. The Pro doesn't really have any benefit to it besides the faster processor, and those are overkill for most desktop tasks anyways.

If the question would be 'An Air or another computer', then yeah, there's a debate. But in this particular case... If you go Pro, you really need to go 15" to get a better computer.

~Vaeil
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Just chiming in to say my 13" Macbook pro runs WoW just fine. ^^
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
Im running Macbook pro 13 but i use another keyboard and another screen so it doesn´t feel that much of a laptop anymore :P but i can tell it runs the game as it should im playing on full Quality idk if that is the laptop that is good or because i only have WoW, Ventrilo and skype installed
Reply Quote
Do note that all the Macbook Pro 13" models before 2011 have dedicated GPU's, and will do fine running WoW.
It's just the 2011 models that only come with an integrated card.

~Vaeil
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
actually apple say those graphics are faster than 2010-. i have 2011 it runs wow fine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]