What ruins RP the most for you?

85 Night Elf Hunter
Over Powered people, first of all. I am not a big fan of people playing as vrykul, drinking enlargening potions either.

Aside of that I really really do not like flawless people, you know the mary-sue's!

But what annoys me most is the constant recruitment shoutings and basicly being ignored by people you kindly try to intefere with. It's like many are on their own island of RP-friends and don't let others in easily.

A shame, everyone has to start somewhere.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
OOCers rolling on RP realms.
Lollers.
OOC in /s or /y.
etc.
Reply Quote
02/03/2012 11:56Posted by Cecíl
To be fair, the first hardly gets a mention ingame as to the fact that the place is young, the elf thing is possible (See Sylvanas' short story and well, Shandris Feathermoon) and they might of missed the crash thing with the starting voice-over being changed.

Fair enough, though I think everyone should read the basic lore for the character they plan to play. Though what I meant by the Blood Elf thing is them ones with the MRP that tells you they're 16 years old, stunningly beautiful and master assassins as they stalk round in Bloodfang. It just makes me go:

[Jaryn] yells: ...
Reply Quote
- Lol'players.
- Mary Sue's.
- People who are adamant to role on a RP server who don't RP or have any intention.
- God emoting.

But most of all:

- Trolls and people who deliberately interrupt RP and RP events (especially if a lot of work has gone into them before hand). What's the point? I mean someone has taken their time and effort to construct an RP event and for what... some !@#$ to come along an ruin it?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Lollers.

'fulltime rpers' in main city's rp spots being ooc doing lol

chat trolls.

ppl that dont know lore and when you try to tell them that they start to rage at you.

ignorence.

non rpers

and as for the races....I saw last some one that had as race Jungle elf. WTF is a jungle elf?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
You know, Night Elves born in Teldrassil, 16 year old blood elves etc. Heck, I've even seen Draenei who are several thousands years old and born in Amen Vale. >.<

That is another peev of mine, people not understanding their chosen races arnt human and do age differently, if your a 30 year old blood elf you would not be in the pub, your mum would still be kissing you good night and making sure you go to school happy and well rested.

You want to be a young belf thats old enough to be let out on their own your late 60's and up, dwarves your looking at 50 being a young adult etc etc.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
There aren't many things that really ruin RP for me. In a sense, that is. Generally I'm quite optimistic about it all and if I want to enjoy some RP-ing, then neither questionable characters nor rude and arrogant players will stop me from entertaining myself and others.

Of course there's plenty of stuff I dislike: people mixing up IC into OOC and unleashing a horde of drama llama's because of that, people going out of their way to -attempt- to ruin RP being the most notable ones. Or ooc politics and whole conspiracy weaving, ouch my head.

I'm not likely to voluntarily approach 16 year old characters that are fully fledged evil overlords or what not, or people who clearly just discovered the f-word and use it about every 3rd sentence to appear badass. Somehow I dislike this even more when used by non-humans.

Also, people who yell 'racist!' as soon as you tell them that you distrust Gilneans, hate orcs, or something like that. That includes Alliance characters who somehow think of the Horde as peaceful people who are only misunderstood. Of course as players we know that they (or some of them) actually are, but it always irks me a bit when characters do it and cannot provide a solid reason why.

Another thing that I find a bit meh, is that I often have seen roleplayers talk with disgust about raiders as all being 'lollers' (ugh, that word) and the weird idea that playing actual game content is below 'true' roleplayers. I have spoken to quite some raiders who really wanted to roleplay but were kind of anxious to try, because of all the snide comments they received in the past. And thus, they were on a roleplay server but did not roleplay, and so the vicious circle went on.

Though in the end, none of these things really ruin roleplaying for me, because I don't let them. And worry not, I'm only fussy and picky towards my own characters' lore and history :-)

P.s. I noticed that kaldorei / kal'dorei thing above. Aren't both spellings correct? Night elf lore is one of my favourites (after human paladins of course!) and I recall that I've seen them both used ingame, but that could be me. Since if the real spelling is kaldorei, then I'm definately guilty of spelling it wrong for a loooong time. Whoops!
Reply Quote
81 Undead Priest
03/03/2012 15:57Posted by Cecíl
if your a 30 year old blood elf you would not be in the pub, your mum would still be kissing you good night and making sure you go to school happy and well rested.

Not really, Shandris was up and walking about at 16 in a novel and Sylvanas was said to show promising archery skill at 20-something in her short story online. I can see elves being condensing to their younger members but not that much I'd hope.

I think that Blood Elves grow like humans but aren't considered adults until around 60 because that's when they are done wtih their hardcore training. It ain't easy being an elf.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Not really, Shandris was up and walking about at 16 in a novel and Sylvanas was said to show promising archery skill at 20-something in her short story online. I can see elves being condensing to their younger members but not that much I'd hope.

Yeah but thats a whole different topic i its self, i'd say most lore fans dont like the books as they are poorly written and often contain info that controdicts the far older and established lore, just mention Rhonin and you'll see people start to froth at the mouth.

Also just because a major lore char was super gifted at a young age does not mean everyone else was, most belves (us players) are not super special and awsome and matured at a more normal rate :)

03/03/2012 16:13Posted by Leoven
I think that Blood Elves grow like humans but aren't considered adults until around 60 because that's when they are done wtih their hardcore training. It ain't easy being an elf.

Indeed being physically grown does not mean your mentally as mature, i know a few 30 year olds that act like kids sometimes being fully grown does not make you an adult, society decides that and in a situation where the adults live for millenia being a child for 60-70 years is nothing when all is said and done.
Reply Quote
  • People who just wanna be right!
  • They are everywhere. You just roleplay casually and then the whole place brings out an argument about who was right. And it goes on, and on, and on, and on... and it's almost always characters who are supposedly over hundreds years old who still see a need to prove themselves right.

• Thieves with magic hands.
  • I hate being robbed, so whenever someone emotes "looks into Ezra's pockets for money" I emote back that I have mousetraps in them. Every single thief in the game has so far been able to avoid the mousetraps, because "they feel them with their fingers." It's amazing how they can tell it's a mousetrap without setting it off or even seeing it.

• Pre-planned scripted RP
  • Why is someone roleplaying if they already decided the outcome?

• People who shoot/murder in the tavern
  • ... and then thinks no guard in all of Stormwind would care about it. I simply ignore such attempts against my characters nowadays.
    Edited by Ezrà on 03/03/2012 17:51 GMT
    Reply Quote
    81 Undead Priest
    03/03/2012 17:51Posted by Ezrà
    It's amazing how they can tell it's a mousetrap without setting it off or even seeing it.

How I steal monye?
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    What ruins it for me is the same as mentioned before, all those non-rp-ers and lollers joining the realm.
    I am fine with non rp-ers joining, I have no problem with that and they are certainly welcome, but if they create odd names that are not even names like omglolpownz or artasdk, etc and whatever unimaginary childish names I really dislike it, plus eventually they will in most cases wish they had chosen a normal name once they are older/more mature so it's better for them to just think of a good name right away.

The ones who join to just ruin rp are just really a sad type of people, mostly people who crave attention or bully others which usually just shows how much that person himself does not feel good about him or herself either at the core of their being so they prject their insecurity on others through greaving/bullying, which is sad for them and they should just learn some respect for others AND theirselves.

The bad mouthing of Justin Bieber is also just completely and utterly childish and a often sign of not daring to be yourself, being afraid of what others think of you when you think different then those "hatespam" people and wanting to belong to a group, it is also a sign of jealousy, it is quite selfdegrading and sad actually to shout things like hating Justin Bieber in whatever way, or any other person for that matter.
    The anal jokes and achievement/skill behind it "games" are also just downright pathetic behaviour and it is not funny at all.

To solve at least a bit of it realms should have a clear explanation in short about what that realm is about (rp, pvp, pve explanations) before you can enter so you can turn around and choose another realm or join if you like what that realm is about.
    Some actually think rp stands for Real Powerful... yeah..
    Or a good idea for rp realms is even to add a multiple question list with easy to find answers about lore before you can enter, only those who really want to rp will bother to fill it in.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    I'm pretty guilty of using this, but yeah, it's not done to be meaningful or to make much of a point beyond 'ellipses as dialogue is amusing to me'. I guess if it causes me to lose all credibility in roleplaying in World of Warcraft then, er... can't say I'll be up all night over it.

To me it portrays a 'beat' anyway for comedic timing or anticipation or whatever the Hell. It's not meant to be so literal!

Mhm. I don't mind its use per se, there are far worse things than people using elipses, but I just think that an emote is "nicer." :P I admit, I've been guilty of using ellipses, like "...That was a joke," or whatever. If there's a moment of silence, I just emote Eyil remaining silent for a moment or whatever. But to each his own!
    Reply Quote
    77 Gnome Mage
    03/03/2012 22:29Posted by Cecíl
    Wait, why would being special accelerate her growth?

Mozart grew a beard at age 6. Didn't you know?
    Reply Quote
    85 Undead Hunter
    03/03/2012 19:19Posted by Aramesec
    The anal jokes and achievement/skill behind it "games" are also just downright pathetic behaviour and it is not funny at all.

These can be reported, there is repocusions too, just hit the report button, say which channel, date and time, some of the names and it gets sorted.

Haven't seen that kind of spam for a while now.
    Reply Quote
    04/03/2012 01:10Posted by Croecell

These can be reported, there is repocusions too, just hit the report button, say which channel, date and time, some of the names and it gets sorted.

Haven't seen that kind of spam for a while now.
    I go for the "blanket ignore everyone who does it" option and that's served me best. It's usually the same 10-15 people doing it over and over again.
    Reply Quote
    2 Troll Druid
    People who shoot/murder in the tavern
    ... and then thinks no guard in all of Stormwind would care about it. I simply ignore such attempts against my characters nowadays.

But how do you know they don't care if a guard comes and attacks? Maybe they want guards to come? I have an awesome thread of awesomeness with an awesome argument going on about things like this.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]