Just something I've noticed...

68 Human Warrior
I always run into people with a loud tone, begging for coins!
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
I always interact if I'm being approached. In fact, I actually feel bad if I wouldn't.
It has, admittedly, led to a lot of facepalm moments.. but the times it hasn't were extra good.

I love random rp, it makes me smiiiiiile!
Edited by Mary on 01/03/2012 11:06 GMT
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
I'm famous for my typo's, okay!?

Guildchat simply isn't the same without them.
Edited by Mary on 01/03/2012 11:14 GMT
Reply Quote
80 Undead Death Knight
Of course I remember that. As well as "smiles faintly as she looks a tit"
Now stop derailing the thread Dan, this isn't about me! :P

Although, to be more on topic.. my typos might scare potential rpers away when trying to interact with me.
I mean, nobody wants to watch someone removing their head or back :(
Edited by Mary on 01/03/2012 11:23 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
In my experience, that tends to happen when people are expecting someone specific, or already engaged in RP with that someone specific.

It's like waiting for your crush to come online on an instant messenger, ignore any messages you have received thus far and suddenly go super active when your crush gets on.
Reply Quote
People often address me, but I forget about it OOCly if I am busy with other things. So no, I don't do it because I want to ignore you, rather because my mind is set on other things.

I bet some other people also find it to be like that!
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
...where is your armour Tazkram!?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
Rak'shu often ignores people to who address him ICly. It's part of his character. I don't expect them to be surprised when they try and get his attention whilst he's doing something else, like fighting, or talking to someone.
Reply Quote
62 Blood Elf Rogue
I think it's a control thing. People like their own social circles, bubbles and what not. Something/someone new means adaptation and improvisation.

Personally, I'll glance at an MRP description first before deciding if I want to roleplay with someone or not, so I don't really have the problem too often. I manage to avoid the questionable character concepts, lolers and ERPers that think they're being subtle about it.

If someone approaches me, my character is quite anti-social so she won't just keep quiet, she'll be quite rude until they walk away. The only time I'll stop and move away is if they suddenly announce that they're the lost son/daughter of Jania and Arthas. Or try to stab Ahiruna infront of plenty of guards without little/any provocation. That sort of thing.

That's just me though.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
01/03/2012 10:56Posted by Koriandr
major threat on the horizon to rally against

Forsaken!
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Myeh, but the Forsaken are still under the Horde's protection. The instant Garrosh wisens up and disowns Sylvie, now... Hearthglen will be an empty, deserted place, indeed, we'll all be in Tirisfal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
01/03/2012 09:05Posted by Sjazzle
The problem aint you playing a Argent Crusader that is a Draenei.

I agree, with an extent; I believe that people who could be really big Role players on their server are degraded and simply stereotyped for a race or class they play that has seen the "worse of the worse". I've watched people play Death Knights and believe they can do all these stupid things, standing around in the Cathedral on Holy ground, thinking they can produce the product to making children, the ability to hold emotions and have a relationship with a living being and the list could go on... However, when someone comes along who has done their research in and out, someone who plays the Death Knight class as should be depicted by lore, they are just instantly shoved away and not able to show what potential they hold due to this stereotype.

I wouldn't be wrong in saying that when this happened it creates a negative effect on the player attempting to show this potential. Most of the people who instantly cast these people aside are people who have "been around since the dawn of time!" and somewhat believe they have seen and done it all, making themselves feel entitled to some sort of higher authority than someone starting on the realm. Hey Elitist in a nutshell! - But, back to the point, when these people instantly ignore or pick some sort of fault which does not exist it will discourage the player and make them feel negative to keep trying with what could be a damn fine potential. Ignore the people who think they have some sort of higher authority, as really, they might think that in their head and their world. But in a realistic world, they are just someone who has more playing time on the server. Thats just my opinion.

01/03/2012 08:28Posted by Marcaidius
Why exactly do some players flat out ignore you when you address them Icly?

I think I agree with what Cerelia said:

01/03/2012 10:55Posted by Cerelia
If you're standing around in a public place, you should expect to be approached.

In the shortest way possible, don't stand in a public place if you don't want people to speak and address you. Quite simple, if you are going to go AFK instead of standing in a RP hub, get on a flying mount and get on top of a building, run into the Trade District and mark yourself OOC. It is just idiotic to stand somewhere, where you might be addressed by people, what is the point in being anti-social in a large RP Hub? Maybe a case of Selective Mutism? Who knows.
Edited by Creic on 01/03/2012 13:41 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Yeah, sometimes if more than one person is talking to me, I'll answer one, then forget completely about the other because of maintaining one conversation.

Or if the character is just being obnoxious to me for OOC reasons, I'll ignore their interraction.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Really, for me, getting a whisper along the lines of "Hey! Are you IC at the moment?" or "Excuse me, are you roleplaying right now?" or something similar is no more "breaking immersion" than seeing the ability bar at the bottom of the screen ALL DAY EVERY DAY, whether I'm roleplaying or not.

Still, people have different "ticks" and all that. Maybe some people -do- get unhappy if they recieve questions like that. I don't though, and I really can't imagine why it's such a horrid thing to apparently experience.

As for why some people ignore one's presence, there could be different (and plausible) reasons...

• A; They're major @ssholes with OOC problems.
  • B; One's character concept is too silly or awkward that you are instantly labelled a loller.
  • C; Their reason for ignoring you is completely IC... That said, people should tell these things in emotes. For example; "John Doe seems to be intent on ignoring the presence of Feranos, trying not to get eyecontact with the worgen in question." or something similar.

• Those are the ones I've experienced the most of.
    Edited by Feranos on 01/03/2012 13:47 GMT
    Reply Quote
    They could also not be focusing upon the game. Sometimes I log-in, forget I'm parked within the middle of a roleplaying hub and furiously alt-tab, be sucked into the endless pit of tumblr, doodle, write essays on combinatorial mathematics, wrestle with ogres, tune violins, rustle up some food, then come back to be greeted with a chat full of text directed to my character. Oops. OOC apologies abound!

I've the attention span and memory of a wet gnat. :(
    Reply Quote
    MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
    85 Worgen Druid
    01/03/2012 10:53Posted by Caelheim
    Simply put, no one is obliged to role-play with anyone and everyone they stumble across. It isn't even usually anything personal, some role-players are merely content interacting with those they're familiar with.

Aye, and it usually is like that with me.

01/03/2012 13:46Posted by Feranos
    Really, for me, getting a whisper along the lines of "Hey! Are you IC at the moment?" or "Excuse me, are you roleplaying right now?" or something similar is no more "breaking immersion" than seeing the ability bar at the bottom of the screen ALL DAY EVERY DAY, whether I'm roleplaying or not.

Aye, I suppose you are right. I got an addon called WoW IM which puts the whispers in separate windows when they come in, and not in my chatbox. I don't know why, but it does make it feel less immersion-breaking for some odd reason, perhaps because the whispers don't appear in my chat window.
    Edited by Danellos on 01/03/2012 14:41 GMT
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Warrior
    They could also not be focusing upon the game. Sometimes I log-in, forget I'm parked within the middle of a roleplaying hub and furiously alt-tab, be sucked into the endless pit of tumblr, doodle, write essays on combinatorial mathematics, wrestle with ogres, tune violins, rustle up some food, then come back to be greeted with a chat full of text directed to my character. Oops. OOC apologies abound!

I've the attention span and memory of a wet gnat. :(

This is also true for me, as well.
    Edited by Thunderbraid on 01/03/2012 14:45 GMT
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    01/03/2012 14:31Posted by Danellos
    Aye, I suppose you are right. I got an addon called WoW IM which puts the whispers in separate windows when they come in, and not in my chatbox. I don't know why, but it does make it feel less immersion-breaking for some odd reason, perhaps because the whispers don't appear in my chat window.

Hmm, why do you have an addon for that? You could just create a new window using the normal interface options and direct whispers to there? :)
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]