Dark Paladins

85 Draenei Warrior
I know this is an subject many think is pure lorelol but obviously it would not be, seeing that most Roleplay classes got an oposite, an paladin should have one also. and with this i want to say that an DEATH KNIGHT IS NOT OPOSITE.
There is also the point that Commander springvale in shadowfang keep is an dark paladin obviously if you look at his skills, he is unspecified class but this is an obvious dark paladin.
So for those who wish to complain about dark paladin roleplayers, you got no say in this.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Shaman
I suppose that if a paladin was a priest in plate then a dark paladin would be a shadow priest in plate?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
07/03/2012 20:34Posted by Grukhan
I suppose that if a paladin was a priest in plate then a dark paladin would be a shadow priest in plate?

Exacly my point.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
wasn't garithos a dark knight ? so i guess it isn't a problem.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior
well many roleplayers claim dark paladins to be against Lore, well if you think logicaly they ain't.... even if its not totaly confirmed by blizz its speculated as an class (even if commander springvale is one) its not lorelol.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Well, there is some example of "dark paladins" in the game imo. Look at Scarlet Crusade and their methods, yet they still use "holy light" in battle, or even blood elfs and their enslaved of light powers (via M'uru)
Reply Quote
73 Human Warlock
I asked about this a few times.....

Dark Paladins i consider to be "Fallen Paladins" to a further point.
A Fallen Paladin is someone who has turned from the light likely because of a lapse in faith

Though some have put it that a dark paladin is a paladin who does evil is a dark paladin....
however that exist only by the persons view....the Scarlet crusade fight for the light because they believe to be fighting for the light.

You see they see themselves as the pure and not the others

every other paladin is dark because of there perspective
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
It hails from the RPG element from Warcraft, where there were many more (prestige) classes and titles. You could say it's officially non-canon, since the Holy Light and it's usage developed in a completely different matter since The Burning Crusade.

Dark Paladins are Paladins that not only have strayed from the path that is required to uphold the use of their powers, but have made a pact one way or another with dark powers that directly oppose the path of Paladins. Sometimes this happens when they've done an evil act, and find them self on the long quest of redemption, and fail at it, to which they progress further away from redemption that they eventually seek out evil sources. Sometimes, it's simply because they are raised this way, having no other knowledge of the path to Paladinhood other than by evil means, where judgment and retribution hold key over peace and good.

In World of Warcraft however, we can assume that almost all Paladins are, in one way or another, Dark Paladins. No, not because they are evil, but because the story of the Holy Light simply took a completely different turn. It went from a religion and a philosophy to uphold the use of such good powers, to a source of magic. It can be used by even the most vile person, as long as they know how to "tame" it, and people who are self-righteous are still eligible to use it.
The only race that uphold the virtues, and the only class that uphold the virtues, are Draenei and Priests respectively. All other Paladins have one way or another, used the Holy Light and Paladinhood to smite, judge, repent, and all those bad words you can use when you talk about the Light, against foes they think evil, instead of letting the Holy Light decide for them.

I'd really like to see the Three Virtues canonized again; Paladins are somewhat of a heretical belief towards what the Three Virtues actually stands for, and so far only Uther has been most compassionate in upholding not only the will of the Holy Light, but also the Three Virtues of which Paladinhood originates from.
Reply Quote
73 Human Warlock
08/03/2012 07:07Posted by Souldead
I'd really like to see the Three Virtues canonized again

Here was my reaction to knowing

"WHAT?! THEY F*****G DECANONISED THAT?! WHY? that....thats like tantamount to the life of a priest of the holy light and everyone who is meant to practise it.....that that makes no sense at all....its integral "

and i hold still what i said... its !@#$ing ridiculous....seriously....that was a brilliant damned concept.
*sigh* its really hard to hold any hope for blizzard these days.

Reply Quote
75 Goblin Warrior
08/03/2012 09:10Posted by Zenera
I'd really like to see the Three Virtues canonized again

Here was my reaction to knowing

"WHAT?! THEY F*****G DECANONISED THAT?! WHY? that....thats like tantamount to the life of a priest of the holy light and everyone who is meant to practise it.....that that makes no sense at all....its integral "

and i hold still what i said... its !@#$ing ridiculous....seriously....that was a brilliant damned concept.
*sigh* its really hard to hold any hope for blizzard these days.

The Argent Crusade preached about the three virtues at the argent tournament so it is still to be considered canon. There is a sermon in the argent crusade tent once in a while that explain how all the virtues work and it is something I really recommend visiting if you are interested in the human, dwarven and high elven take on the light. I'm not really sure what Souldead is talking about, but I am guess it has something to do with Blood Knights.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
The original text about the Three Virtues and what they meant were part of the RPG element, which was de-canonized. With but a mere references here and there, there's no valid source of information of what the Three Virtues truly mean, not even in quests for Priests or the like.

It's likely they haven't forgotten about it; but on the other hand, they might as well just. The Three Virtues were the ruling philosophy in Stormwind, and it's virtually non-existent. There are no paladins or priests left to talk about the moral obligations of waging a war; and morality is both interesting to read about, and it's something that people constantly bicker over (my side is better than yours! Nyu!).
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
If Dark Paladins existed, they wouldn't be called Paladins.

And of course it works. Just find a Shadowpriest and dress him up in plate, as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Edited by Malizïa on 08/03/2012 13:49 GMT
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
If Dark Paladins existed, they wouldn't be called Paladins.

And of course it works. Just find a Shadowpriest and dress him up in plate, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Actually, Paladins originated from the impatience and passiveness of the Three Virtues. They weren't so happy with Priests just accepting the Orcish Horde going rampant around the land and philosophized about it.

The Cult of the Shadow is about three different virtues, which all center around the power of one, and how it can directly influence the universe around itself. Putting a shadowpriest in a plate armor still makes him a shadowpriest, as he would follow the exact same virtues with the exact same devotion, in a simply sturdier outfit.
Reply Quote
I see no problem with dark paladin concept other than the name, I think if someone abandons the paladin order they wouldn't want to associate themselves with it.

But then again class titles I don't really see too appropriate for the story since titles are only granted by others and you can't really self proclaim yourself a title since it doesn't really work like that. I could be a expert doctor who knows everything but never officially given the title so I wouldn't be called a doctor but I still would be one.

Hope this isn't confusing. :P
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Human male, black hair, clad in Soulforge Replica transmogged armor, With the shadowcloth mask (intended for warlocks) will give you a Rogue Paladin who might pursue his own cause in the grey area between dark and light.

Say the personality of his was changed during an event, which had him believe his powers might be suitable for personal needs, being still very faithful, the power of the Light is still granted to this individual.

Edited by Jastalaan on 08/03/2012 15:29 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight

Actually, Paladins originated from the impatience and passiveness of the Three Virtues. They weren't so happy with Priests just accepting the Orcish Horde going rampant around the land and philosophized about it.

The Cult of the Shadow is about three different virtues, which all center around the power of one, and how it can directly influence the universe around itself. Putting a shadowpriest in a plate armor still makes him a shadowpriest, as he would follow the exact same virtues with the exact same devotion, in a simply sturdier outfit.

Actually Paladins were formed because Priests were unfit for frontline duty, but the Alliance saw the potential for light wielders on the frontline when battling the orcs, and especially the dark magic wielded by the Horde, and so they came up with Paladins.

Paladins were to be heavily armed and armored in the finest armor, wielding the best weapons and ready to face down the most bloodthirsty orc and dispel whatever dark magic the Orcs threw at them.

Normal men are pretty useless versus dark magic and supernatural demons, and so it was important for the Alliance to have light wielders that wouldn't expire during the first battle to protect them from the vile sorcery.
Edited by Malizïa on 08/03/2012 17:35 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
There is a class called Dark Knight. A very famous one was Garithos. They have the abilities of Paladins, Tauren Chieftains and Mountain Kings. Paladins we know of, and Mountain Kings and Tauren Chieftains are basicly Warriors, so they are a mix between the two. Here is the link.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Dark_knight
Edited by Skrauhg on 08/03/2012 17:33 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
Just to say. Death Knight is most certainly an opposite. That's the whole point of the Death Knight/Paladin relation. The Death Knights and Paladins were made to counter each other, although there is the V1, 2 and 3 DKs. Sorry, but it's sort of true. If you want an equivalent, that's a different matter.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I consider Dark Paladins to be paladins who have:

A.) Been corrupted by something.
B.) Those who have fallen to the Scourge and brought back as a ghost. E.g: http://www.wowwiki.com/Redpath_the_Corrupted
C.) Become power-hungry or have been misled.
http://www.wowwiki.com/Arthas

There's really no other reasons I can come up with for them. If anyone has any other suggestions, go ahead!
Reply Quote
Deathknights ARE the opposite of Paladins.

The Process as to how the light forsakes a paladin simply depends on how much evil the paladin
does using the light as a weapon.

This is why Uther was considered powerful as his connection to the light was unmatched. Also applies to how Arthas slowly descended into a deathknight ever since the Culling of Stratholme.

So to sum it all up:

Light serves paladin.
Paladin loses faith and uses the light to harm innocents.
Light believing every being deserves a chance still serves him but the power gets weaker with every bad deed commited
After said number of bad deeds, the light forsakes him and refuses to serve him which then would allow the paladin to call upon the powers of the unholy(Disgraced paladins joined the scourge which explains how they learnt to call upon the unholy).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]