The Arena System needs to evolve.

13 Human Mage
The ladder system is just old and outdated. It doesnt promote activity.

I stated this a few times before. Make the competetive side of things lobbey based with short tournaments with fun rewards.

The game needs to be centered more about building communties. So make certain tournaments server only.
Periodic tournament winners getting a statue in front of SW/orgri that stays up untill the next tournament, or w/e.

Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
The ladder system is just old and outdated. It doesnt promote activity.

I stated this a few times before. Make the competetive side of things lobbey based with short tournaments with fun rewards.

The game needs to be centered more about building communties. So make certain tournaments server only.
Periodic tournament winners getting a statue in front of SW/orgri that stays up untill the next tournament, or w/e.

I definitely don't agree with it being server-only, but the "statue" thing is actually a pretty good idea, could make a "statue" on every realm in a Battlegroup for the team that comes first.
Reply Quote
13 Human Mage
"certain"....so a select few. People on servers dont know eachother anymore, like we did in vanilla.

Events like this will create a bond or rivalry oir w/e.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
i support this thread and the new ideas that most of you put your mind on. i also definetly agree that shorter and more seasons is not that hard to change to.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
"certain"....so a select few. People on servers dont know eachother anymore, like we did in vanilla.

Events like this will create a bond or rivalry oir w/e.

That's a greater problem with the game, not really with the PvP community, which is largely impossible to fix now, especially with Blizzard adding the Battle Tag system in MoP, designed at helping you keep in touch with people from Random BGs/Random Dungeons/LFR without having to add people to Real ID, further brings that away from server communities.
Edited by Rasen on 16/03/2012 01:30 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
inb4 8-10 month season.

EDIT: Also agreed with basically the whole OP.
Edited by Tayen on 16/03/2012 14:06 GMT
Reply Quote
80 Orc Warlock
bump
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
15/03/2012 22:19Posted by Rasen
Secondly, seasons need to be much shorter.

totally agree. make season about 2 months long. you dont even have to make new gear for the season ( i guess pvp gear has to follow the PVE Ilvl etc )

just make a new season so there is a point in playing more often.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I clicked "Like".

I feel so facebooky.

Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
I clicked "Like".

I feel so facebooky.

If that ridiculous Real ID change for the forums had gone through, where you'd see everyone's RL name, this would be facebook.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I clicked "Like".

I feel so facebooky.

If that ridiculous Real ID change for the forums had gone through, where you'd see everyone's RL name, this would be facebook.

I would of liked that :( No more level 1 trolling.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior

I would of liked that :( No more level 1 trolling.

It was a really stupid idea :|
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
If that were to happen, a lot of people would've made second accounts with fake names.

Regardless, once I get some Game Time on US realms, I'll post it there, leaving a link to this original thread.
Edited by Recycle on 16/03/2012 14:47 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
Yea I know a lot of people who have accounts with fake names already.

EDIT: But anyway, lets get back on topic please!
Edited by Rasen on 16/03/2012 14:50 GMT
Reply Quote
Community
Hey guys, this thread looks great, but I wanted to just jump in and comment on a few things. :)

There needs to be a large overhaul of the Arena system.

We can see some reasons here why you feel this, but what is the over-arching reason for why you feel that the arena system currently does not function optimally and needs to undergo such dramatic changes? As of right now, I feel that the arena system works quite well. I am enjoying myself when I enter arena because of the competition side of it, as well as looking forward to both upgrading my gear more and …hopefully…winning a title and mount at the end of the season :D

So what should happen is that when you join Arena you get a full set of Gear and when you leave it, you no longer have that set

So you would like to see standardised stats and gear for all who enter arena so that the gear you have earned does not affect your performance? This could cause a large number of the PvP community to stop arena as they would no longer see a result of earning their new shiny gear, I agree that the standardised gear would make the playing-field more even but where would I be able to let loose with all of my awesome new gear? :’( How could such a problem be remedied?

Thirdly, you have to start giving our desire-able rewards.

The reason I see that players aim to receive the title and mount is for the prestige that can be displayed with them. However if you feel that this can be done better through different types of rewards, what type of prizes for the seasons winners would you like to see?

16/03/2012 14:49Posted by Rasen
But anyway, lets get back on topic please!

I agree, this thread looks great so far, everyone. Please remain as constructive and on topic as possible, we do not want to see this thread become derailed or have any other similar issues, so stay on topic. ^^
Edited by Nakatoir on 16/03/2012 15:49 GMT
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
Some interesting thoughts.

I want to add mine as well. Albeit they'll be from the perspective of one who hasn't actively done Arenas since TBC, so keep that in mind :)

To me the biggest problem with Arenas is the repetition. Because Arenas are so focused around strategies, there's even less opportunity for dynamic play compared to Battlegrounds.
And at least for me, after 2½ Seasons in TBC, I thought I had seen everything Arenas were about, so why bother spending time on additional Seasons?

There has to be something that helps break that feeling of "Oh, Nagrand Arena again, and it's another RMP - do as usual".
I think Mists of Pandaria's talent system will help a little bit with that, because you won't know what talents your opponents have until they use them.
But I also think Arenas need new maps - and many of them. In StarCraft II Blizzard adds new maps each Season in order to challenge players and force them to think of new strategies and ideas. Likewise, for raid bosses in WoW, Blizzard keeps introducing new mechanics that challenge players and force them to learn new things and come up with new ideas.
The same should apply to Arenas in WoW. The act of running around pillars is getting old. I thought it was old by the end of Season 2 in TBC, and now we're in Season 11 and it's still about running around pillars, because it's the same maps people are playing on.

I also think that Arenas don't feel like they're part of WoW.
This is probably not a concern for those who play Arenas entirely for the competitive aspect of it. But my desire to do anything in WoW builds on my love for that which is Warcraft. And when you look at Arenas, they don't show off much that has to do with Warcraft.
I miss an Arena environment more akin to that of Trial of the Crusader. I want crowds spectating and cheering when someone gets killed. I want a Tirion-like shoutcaster who starts the game - rather than a dull countdown timer. I want a ton of different, adrenaline-pumping battle music that makes me feel like a true gladiator in each battle, rather than the theme park visitor who queues up for the same rollercoaster again and again. I want the game to show me my victory, be it in the form of lots of fireworks, being showered in flowers from beautiful Night Elves, or just a pat on the back - anything but having a boring scoreboard with hardly any information on, covering up the epic scene of my dead opponents lying at my feet. Talk about an anti-climax.
And where is all the story about Arenas? I loved the way Thrall's story unfolded as he was being used as a gladiator in Arenas by Blackmoore. And I loved how Varian....or Lo'Gosh, thrived in the Arenas during his captivity, and how the Orcs around him were just in it for the sport and the money it made.
It shouldn't be so hard to implement a story about Arenas in WoW that progressed as each Season unfolded. For crying out loud; TEH GLADIATORS WoW comics are able to do it, so surely Blizzard can as well - especially given the fact that they have already done so in their own novels and comics in the past.

That total absence of anything Warcraft-related in Arenas is a huge issue. Why would I, as a Warcraft fan, spend any time in WoW on an activity that has nothing to do with Warcraft?

The reward structure of Arenas is in a terrible state as well. The problem is that as far as rewards goes, Arenas only appeal to the best players.
What rewards do you get from Arenas if your skill-level is ~1400?
Achievements? Nope. They're all about progressing your rating to high levels.
Gear? Nope. You earn the gear you need to be able to compete - the tier 2 gear which is the bonus, is out of your reach.
Titles? Nope. They're for the high-ranked players only.
Mounts? Nope. High-ranked players again.
Anything else? Nope. Nothing.

That isn't good enough.
The reward structure of Arenas needs to be more akin to that of Rated Battlegrounds, so players can earn something, even if they're not God's gift to PvP. The player simply has to end up feeling that the time and effort spent doing Arenas was well worth it, even if he or she didn't manage to acquire a rating above 1400. That player should still have earned a mount or a title, or something, for the time and effort spent - otherwise that player won't bother with Arenas in the next season.

And for high-ranked players, there also has to be more to the rewards than the prospect of a flying mount (which you can't use in Arenas - talk about adding injury to insult :P), an increasingly dull-sounding title, and an item set with an "exclusive" color theme.
That is pityful.
Does anyone envy the Gladiators that faaaantastic prize pool? Hmm...nope.
I can take my newly-dinged level 85 alt, join a PuG run to Icecrown Citadel, chop through the achievements there, and earn a mount and a title that's way cooler, and I probably get a lot of cool items for transmogrification in the process. And it won't even take more than a few hours. Why would I bother trying to become an Arena Gladiator when I can do that?

And finally, the way you do Arenas needs changing as well. It's only for Arenas that players still need to organise teams/groups beforehand. I can queue up for random dungeons, battlegrounds, and raids, but not Arenas. Why?
Arenas need the equivilent of the Random Battleground queue system. I want to be able to simply queue up for the Arenas on my own, be paired up with two dudes I've never seen before, fight against a team of three other random dudes, and earn a little honor for doing that.
I don't want to be part of an organised Arena team in order to be able to do Arenas, because my schedule is already packed as far as time commitment goes when it comes to raiding. I don't need more of that - I need less.

Think that's about it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
16/03/2012 15:47Posted by Nakatoir
So you would like to see standardised stats and gear for all who enter arena so that the gear you have earned does not affect your performance? This could cause a large number of the PvP community to stop arena as they would no longer see a result of earning their new shiny gear, I agree that the standardised gear would make the playing-field more even but where would I be able to let loose with all of my awesome new gear? :’( How could such a problem be remedied?

You could give rating based gear that has diffrent colours? Just give it no stats so you can transmog into it to show off your rating you've achived?

16/03/2012 15:47Posted by Nakatoir
The reason I see that players aim to receive the title and mount is for the prestige that can be displayed with them. However if you feel that this can be done better through different types of rewards, what type of prizes for the seasons winners would you like to see?

We gave a few examples, tabards, ground mounts, better looking weapons? The current rewards are TERRIBLY boring, I mean once I've gotten all teh titles from arenas why should I keep doing it? New titles, new rewards, NEW MOUTNS I can't stress it enough, Cataclysm gladiator mount, really?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
16/03/2012 15:57Posted by Mirion
You could give rating based gear that has diffrent colours? Just give it no stats so you can transmog into it to show off your rating you've achived?

They're going to do that. I believe Corey Stockton mentioned it at Blizzcon.
There should be some gear that'll be exclusive-looking and intended only for transmogrification, which will only be for top PvPers.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]