A Scroll of Resurrection from?

90 Night Elf Death Knight
Hear my story!
Last night I got an email telling me that (CHARACTER NAME) has given me a Scroll of Resurrection offering me all kinds of good things.
Now pay attention:

As I went to my account for the first time in a long time my password didn't work. This is no worry of mine because I have many passwords for my things and the possibility of me simply having forgotten the real password is very high. But I changed my password with the resetting option and security question and then looked at my account.

Now I haven't played for at least half a year and as I log into my account today I notice some characters I don't remember making. Two in fact. Both level 1, both with random names. My most logical conclusion is: I got hacked during my absence!

Now back to the issue that's bothering me:

The Character that gave me the Scroll of Resurrection is on a server that I've never been on and he has a name I don't recognize. I log into the game itself and notice that the only character I have that in on the same server as the mystery scroll-giver is a "lvl 1 random name hack character to spam some stuff".

I should probably end this with a question or something so I inquire: How on earth were these characters created if I didn't have an active subscription?
Reply Quote
- CS
85 Draenei Paladin
You definately got hacked :( The 1st link below will help if you have lost anything. The 2nd will make sure your PC is nice and clean!

If you check account history, you probably will see they used a trial, or perhaps even a stolen credit card.

They probably sent the SoR from a hacked account to continue using yours for nefarious purposes.

Don't worry, all issues are fixable :)

►► Account Hacked/Stolen? CLICK HERE! ◄◄
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2226268467

[Guide] How to SCAN and SECURE your PC Part II
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1820913657
Reply Quote
Yes, looking at my history they seem to have used a CATA trial during Christmas but It doesn't look like any items are missing. Don't know about the gold though.
Reply Quote
- CS
85 Draenei Paladin
10/03/2012 14:47Posted by Totenstarre
Yes, looking at my history they seem to have used a CATA trial during Christmas but It doesn't look like any items are missing. Don't know about the gold though.

I'd make sure your PC is secure, that 2nd thread will help :) If you have an iPhone/Android phone you can add extra protection with an Authenticator - for free. Just search the relevant store ^^

I would also recommend changing your wow password, and email password, and considering making a unique email just for your wow :)
Reply Quote
A thing not commonly heard: There is nothing missing..
Reply Quote
- CS
85 Draenei Paladin
10/03/2012 14:55Posted by Totenstarre
A thing not commonly heard: There is nothing missing..

Very rare xD

Nevertheless, do consider putting in place preventions to ensure it never happens again :D
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Greetings Totenstarre,

I’m very glad to hear that nothing seems to be missing as, if the compromise did indeed happen at the end of last year, we’d likely not be able to recover much of what was lost at the time (if anything at all, for that matter).

In light of this narrow escape, do please make sure to now secure your account as fully as possible, as per Amarielle’s helpful advice, and if you’re planning on leaving your account inactive again in the future then I’d definitely recommend looking into an Authenticator, for peace of mind if nothing else. :)
Reply Quote
36 Troll Druid
My boyfriends account was also hacked in this way. Thankfully our guild is awesome and spotted there was a prob, they reported it and he got all his stuff back pronto, plus a ton of stuff the hackers had mined (bonus!). Now he doesn't want to buy game time because the account that sent the scroll would get the spectral mount, which doesn't seem right given the circumstances! Reckon Blizz would be able to stop the account receiving the mount reward?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]