Is spell reflection bugged?

So after doing some pvp for a bit I noticed spell reflection seems bugged. The tooltip says
Raise your shield, reflecting the next spell cast on you. Lasts 5 sec., so if it reflects the NEXT spell cast on your why does it reflect frostbolt and icelane, if cast one straight after the other?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
they hit @ the same time
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It reflects everything that is en route to the warrior while he still has the buff. Even if he loses the buff before all of them can land.
Reply Quote
Surerly thats a mistake though, if I cast frostbolt followed by icelance, the NEXT spell cast would of been the frosbolt, therefore reflecting the frostbolt and the icelance should hit
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
It reflect the first spell ability that land

Ice lance > frost bolt speed.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
So you were bad enough to kill yourself with a reflected Shatter and now you came to the forums to claim Spell Reflect as bugged? Well done.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
11/03/2012 12:49Posted by Rhoben
So you were bad enough to kill yourself with a reflected Shatter and now you came to the forums to claim Spell Reflect as bugged? Well done.

/like! n1
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 12:49Posted by Rhoben

1st- ur comment has f*ck all to do with the post
2nd- I didnt come here claiming it was bugged as a form of QQ, and yes I did come to the forums to discuss wether it was bugged, does that make me a bad player? no. What do you want me to do when I think I see a bug, shut my mouth and let the game get buggy?
3rd- it was a simple enough question why reply with a stupid comment about how you're a bad player because you got spell reflected, but ofc you have never ever had your spell reflected because your such an amazing player ofc, why be a p*ick and turn a simple question about a BUG into how bad the player is, why not just reply to the question instead of posting a stupid childish statement
Edited by Windchill on 11/03/2012 14:58 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
It is not buggeg, its just the same mechanics that we as mages take advantage of when we get off our shatter combo's on novaed targets, the first spell should break the nova because of the damage caused, but we just make them hit more or less at the same time, so both spells benefit from the shatter talent.

I remember shattering myself once, man i laughed because I didnt noticed what happened untill a few seconds after I lay dead.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
It's all due to flight time. All spell that are in flight (already cast and on it's way to the target) before the first spell hits will get reflected. Unless it is from multiple persons.

It's been like that for a very long time now. Don't know if it's intended or just extremly hard to fix if it's a bug, but will probably stay like that for a very long time to come.
Reply Quote
11/03/2012 17:23Posted by Glossy
but we just make them hit more or less at the same time,

13/03/2012 10:40Posted by Zephyrs
It's all due to flight time.

It doesn't have anything to do with flight time or hitting them at the same time.

Spells/effects are calculated on their release, not on hit. And since the spell reflection buff is up during the release of more then one spell it will also reflect these spells.

Even if the buff gets removed after the first spell hits (which it does), the spells which are released during the time the buff was on the target will still be reflected.

So after doing some pvp for a bit I noticed spell reflection seems bugged. The tooltip says
Raise your shield, reflecting the next spell cast on you. Lasts 5 sec., so if it reflects the NEXT spell cast on your why does it reflect frostbolt and icelane, if cast one straight after the other?
The tooltip is wrong.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Hmm, so you QQ about 2 spell got sended back to you, when the spell reflection was up...let me give you some nightmare then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2JvonoUlg

Just be happy its not a 5 sec dura where it cast ALL spells back.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Spells/effects are calculated on their release, not on hit. And since the spell reflection buff is up during the release of more then one spell it will also reflect these spells.

Crits, dodges, ect is calculated that way but not a reflect. A reflect is calculated when the spell hits the person who is reflecting it, it's made so on purpose to you can reflect a spell that is already in flight if you are fast enough. Some spells got there flight time speed increase (moves faster through the air) due to this some 2 or 3 years ago.

It is now not possible or extremely rare (like 0.01% rare) that 2 spells that are casted will cause this. Although it happens alot with casting+instant in that order due to que times of spells.

i use this to my advatage when i get hit by freeze or frozt nova, to make sure a mage is not stupid enough to try and fake cast and only pop spell reflect the mili second the frost bolt cast is finished. That followd by a hc leap will usualy scare a bad mage into a blink charge + Hamstring = death.

same works in reverse, if the spell reflect wares of while a spell is in flight does not get reflect. i have never been able to confirm a reflect against an already incoming spell when spell reflect wheres off just after the spell has been released.

let me say it in another way that might make more sense. It's all about qeue times.. Spells that get qeued together to overlap will cause both to get reflected.

I suggest you get an addon like 'Tell Me When" and set it up to show and icon on your UI when your target has reflect up so you can either not cast or atleast not qeue spells.

Mages has lots of cc and reflect on warrior is only 5sec, frost nova lasts for 4 so it's not a really big deal to wait.
Edited by Zephyrs on 23/03/2012 13:41 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
No, reflect works that way.
Reply Quote
Hmm, so you QQ about 2 spell got sended back to you, when the spell reflection was up...let me give you some nightmare then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2JvonoUlg

Just be happy its not a 5 sec dura where it cast ALL spells back.

how the f*ck was me asking whether it is a bug any form of QQ, seriously !@#$ and go back to your cave
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Chill out, madboy. I hear being cluelessly bad is the new trend amongst mages in Cataclysm, you fit right in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]