Pets Instantly Dying (Scaling Issue)

90 Orc Hunter
Hello. First of all, sorry if this forum isn't entirely appropriate for this thread; it appears that the Suggestions forum has long been removed from EU.

Hunter pets are still suffering from a long-standing scaling issue.

The Bug: pets start out at ~6k hp base. After several seconds (sometimes as many as five, which is a long time in PvP combat) the pet scales up to the hunter's Stamina.

Reproducing It: This bug can be seen when dismounting from a flying mount directly into combat, or summoning a new pet, or reviving a pet using Revive Pet or Heart of the Phoenix (which revives the pet at the location it perished, meaning dead pet if there's PvP AoE about).

Result: Jumping into combat as a BM hunter can mean instantly dead pet, unless you already had the pet out riding beside you. Switching a pet in combat or dismounting from a flyer into combat = dead pet, and thus often dead hunter. Using HotP does not help, since the pet is ressed at the low HP point and in the same spot it dropped. This bug can be counteracted to SOME extent through skill, but this bug would be far better off fixed than being one more game bug hunters need to work around (and in any case, savvy PvPers can and will switch to & instantly gank a newly-summoned pet).

Suggestion: FIX it. Please. This bug has been around for YEARS. It's simple, just make the base HP much, much higher and change the scaling to match.

I'd say this was a known issue that Blizz is working on, and ignore it, but honestly it's been around for so many years (and with no fix) that I now doubt that that's the case. Bug's still here, still crippling in certain cases, still needs a fix!
Reply Quote
I'd say this was a known issue that Blizz is working on, and ignore it, but honestly it's been around for so many years (and with no fix) that I now doubt that that's the case. Bug's still here, still crippling in certain cases, still needs a fix!

far as i know its actually working as intended to prevent a possible exploit
Reply Quote
- CS
90 Blood Elf Mage
Ah yes, you can make suggestion threads and such in the appropriate related threads. In this case Hunter Classes. Probally it will get moved though. You say its a bug they know it for years? I haven't seen it once when a hunter engaged me.

Although here is also the bug reports thread and such: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3056495855

Edit: The gnome gulping coffee is twice too fast today. ^^
Edited by Saneko on 15/04/2012 17:10 BST
Reply Quote
15/04/2012 17:10Posted by Saneko
You say its a bug they know it for years? I haven't seen it once when a hunter engaged me.

he aint making it up though. what he says is entirely correct
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
15/04/2012 17:08Posted by Allanonn

I'd never heard about this; any idea what the exploit is? Wouldn't mind a blue post regardless--and thanks for backing me up that I'm not just making it up, lol >.>
Reply Quote
i do know what the exploit is, but not gonna post it as i doubt the blues would appreciate it. from what i have read here and there, they are hopeing to be able to fix it with pandaland when it launches
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight

I'd never heard about this; any idea what the exploit is? Wouldn't mind a blue post regardless--and thanks for backing me up that I'm not just making it up, lol >.>

It was changed to fix a exploit related to healing if I remember correctly.. but specifics are not gonna be said. ;p

Anyhow, as far as I know, this have been fixed for Mists of Pandaria.
Edited by Gontier on 15/04/2012 17:26 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Thanks for the info, although as I don't have Beta access I can't verify it : /

I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to share info about an exploit that isn't possible, which I assume if the HP bug is there to "prevent," then the exploit can't be used anyway? Wasn't meaning any harm by asking!

I'll remain skeptical unless I hear from Blizzard. It seems a little stupid that they'd come up with an exploit "solution" that can effectively cripple legit players!
Edited by Acherontia on 15/04/2012 17:25 BST
Reply Quote
- CS
90 Blood Elf Mage

GONTIER! *Puts him in stew soup* that is for not giving me beta to testout possible exploits/bugs!
Reply Quote
going by the dev chat thing they had a while ago, it is fixed for mop
Q: Any plans to fix pet stats being too low for a few seconds after spawning?
A: We are fixing pets so stats won't lag several seconds after logging in or dismounting in 5.0.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
15/04/2012 17:24Posted by Acherontia
Thanks for the info, although as I don't have Beta access I can't verify it : /

People over at Mmo-Champion.com says it have been fixed, however I have beta and I can check for you in a second to confirm it.

going by the dev chat thing they had a while ago, it is fixed for mop
Q: Any plans to fix pet stats being too low for a few seconds after spawning?
A: We are fixing pets so stats won't lag several seconds after logging in or dismounting in 5.0.

I'm glad someone found it. I couldn't remember where I had read it. ;p
Edited by Gontier on 15/04/2012 17:28 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Thanks for the info then, Allanonn. I hadn't heard this and I appreciate the time you took to reply.

I don't see why they don't implement the fix now, though. Bugfixes should not be bundled with expansions, imo, they should be deployed as soon as the bugs are known. Oh well, several years late, I guess.

Can anyone in the Beta confirm/deny this info? Thanks!

Edit--ahh, Gontier was too fast. Would appreciate the check, thanks!
Edited by Acherontia on 15/04/2012 17:31 BST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
I don't see why they don't implement the fix now, though. Bugfixes should not be bundled with expansions, imo, they should be deployed as soon as the bugs are known. Oh well, several years late, I guess.

Most likely because something has changed in Mists of Pandaria so they can fix the exploit properly, allowing them to fix the pet health issue completely aswell.

Can anyone in the Beta confirm/deny this info? Thanks!

Edit--ahh, Gontier was too fast. Would appreciate the check, thanks!

And yes, it has been fixed. My pet is spawning with 100% HP all the time.

15/04/2012 17:25Posted by Saneko

GONTIER! *Puts him in stew soup* that is for not giving me beta to testout possible exploits/bugs!

*Hugs* =]
Edited by Gontier on 15/04/2012 17:40 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Excellent, good to know. Thanks for checking this out.

Doesn't help me in the here and now, and I'm still p.o.'d that the bug even exists after all this time, and moreso about finding out this was deliberately implemented.

But for you, deathpuppy, I have only thanks ;)
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
No worries. :)
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Greetings Acherontia,

The information some of our helpful regular posters have provided in this thread is quite correct and, for a while, the issue actually wasn’t technically regarded as a bug (being the only way in which it was possible to prevent exploitation of <snip> pet <snip> repeatedly to <snip> your <snip> back to <snip snip>).

With the next expansion, however, our development team has been able to effectively “revamp” the pet system so that the above “exploit” was no longer possible, and so the annoyance you describe here should hopefully also disappear as a result.

Apologies for any annoyance it may have been causing you in the meantime, but I hope that the above explanation goes some way towards clarifying both why things are the way they are currently and why it wasn’t simply a matter of patching in a fix. :)
Reply Quote
<snip> pet <snip> repeatedly to <snip> your <snip> back to <snip snip>).

least Neph can always get a job as a hairdresser
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
the issue actually wasn’t technically regarded as a bug (being the only way in which it was possible to prevent exploitation of <snip> pet <snip> repeatedly to <snip> your <snip> back to <snip snip>).

Ahhh, so the game wasn't programmed to remember the <snip> levels of pets after <snip> and the pet was repeatedly <snip> to <snip> it, I see. At least they're fixing that coding, then!

...Hey, this is fun!

Thanks for the explanation :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]