How much gold would you pay for a level 80 character?

66 Blood Elf Rogue
I like levelling - not as much as I used to, but I like it more than endgame raids (in any MMO) However I get the feeling I'm in the minority in this, and every blue post I see that touches on levelling gives the impression that Blizzard themselves see it as an obstacle to the real game, rather than an essential part of the game itself.

So instead of another xp nerf (likely to hit the Cata zones when MoP is released, and I'd not be surprised if they nerfed 1-80 again while they were at it) or redesigning Outland and Northrend to make them quicker... isn't it time they just gave in and started selling new level 80s?

It would be a tremendous gold sink (I'm curious as to how much people would pay for it) - a one-use-only heirloom that enabled you to start a new character at level 80, or 85 whatever.

I honestly can't think of any argument against it - the Scroll of Resurection offer shows that Blizzard are willing to do this and I don't think they even look on levelling as something that keeps people subscribed anymore - not when they've made it so fast.

So how much would you pay for a level 80 character?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Purchasable level 80 characters is basically part of the "pay to win" scenario, and it's the worst kind of micro-transaction there is.
The only good argument for doing it, is that people can quicker get to the end-game content, and that's only a good argument insofar that it's actually what people go for, which doesn't hold true for everyone.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
21/04/2012 18:15Posted by Jiposs
Purchasable level 80 characters is basically part of the "pay to win" scenario

No... It's more like paying for a level 80 character.
Reply Quote
I would play a monthly subscription. You don't really need more time to level 1-80.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
21/04/2012 18:12Posted by Jests
So how much would you pay for a level 80 character?

Probably something around 5.000 Gold and up.

Of course depending that does she or he have profession(s) and riding skill up to date.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Are we talking about Real life money or ingame? If it's the first one, then I wouldn't. I am a cheap bastard, I don't like paying for the game time to begin with :P

If we are talking gold, I would say about 5k
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
5k is rather cheap for a level 80. That's the same amount of gold as for artisan riding, which at level 85 doesn't take longer than 1 day to earn.

I think 50k comes closer to a level 80's worth in regard to time investment.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
21/04/2012 18:19Posted by Industria
Purchasable level 80 characters is basically part of the "pay to win" scenario

No... It's more like paying for a level 80 character.

Paying for a level 80 character means skipping over the majority of the progression of an RPG, which is part of a "pay to win" scenario.
Reply Quote
Yeah, because levelling to 85 is winning, right?

Perhaps you should have called it a 'pay to skip the boring part' scenario.
Edited by Industria on 21/04/2012 18:40 BST
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Yeah, because levelling to 85 is winning, right?

Perhaps you should have called it a 'pay to skip the boring part' scenario.

"Pay to win" includes different things, so for lack of a better name, it's simply called "pay to win". It has nothing to do with whether getting to level 85 means you win, it simply implies that you're paying to skip the progression process.
Reply Quote
Yeah... it's nothing like paying for high end rare gear or powerful, unobtainable weapons.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
21/04/2012 18:44Posted by Industria
Yeah... it's nothing like paying for high end rare gear or powerful, unobtainable weapons.

Nor did I say it was, but it's still a step in the wrong direction.
Reply Quote
You do realise this thread is about in-game currency, don't you?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
1 copper. Yea,I'm cheap.
Reply Quote
66 Blood Elf Rogue
21/04/2012 18:45Posted by Jiposs
but it's still a step in the wrong direction.

In theory I would agree with you, but it's a step that's already been taken with the SoR. With that they have shown that they no longer regard the levelling process as a core part of the WoW experience.

Now I could rant and rave about that, but what would be the point of that? That argument is, in my eyes, already lost. If Blizzard themselves believe the game begins at 80/85/90 and that is where most of the playerbase is sitting, then they just just take the next step and make it a feature, payable with in-game currency - which will also give the level 85 soon-to-be 90s one more thing to work at.

Everyone's happy. Blizzard's happy because they've got a new gold sink. Endgame players are happy because they don't have to slog through content they dislike. Levellers are happy because the part of the game they enjoy isn't being 'streamlined' into irelevance. Everybody wins.
Reply Quote
I think their should be restrictions. Like maybe you have to have levelled the class yourself at least once, then you can purchase a free boost to 80 for a second character of the same class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
21/04/2012 19:41Posted by Industria
I think their should be restrictions. Like maybe you have to have levelled the class yourself at least once, then you can purchase a free boost to 80 for a second character of the same class.

I agree, i like to do PVE tanking, PVP healing and PVE healing. I really like paladins so i levelled another one as i was fed up with having to respec my healing spec to be able to compete, not to mention the frequent trips to the bank as an extra 2 sets of gear was a killer on bag space.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
5k is rather cheap for a level 80. That's the same amount of gold as for artisan riding, which at level 85 doesn't take longer than 1 day to earn.

I think 50k comes closer to a level 80's worth in regard to time investment.

It takes you 10 days to level to 80?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
nothing, be-cause you should play yourself, otherwise its cheating!!!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
21/04/2012 19:21Posted by Industria
You do realise this thread is about in-game currency, don't you?

If you read the first post, you would realize this thread is about real outside WoW money.

I personally would pay... 10 €. If it would have the same stuff has the Scroll of Resurrection boost.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]