Topic Balance druid in arena. What I am doing wrong
I am a ruthless balance (at least I think so :D) druid doing arenas 1 week now and I would like to discuss about my "progress" and ask you to comment.
1) Please start by looking on my gear and discuss about my mistakes... as you will see I am not yet hit capped and I do not really understand why especially when I have bought the spirit ring2) I have started getting my first conquest points. What do you think is the right order for bying conquest gear?
3) In arena I found my survilability to be really bad. I will be always the first target being nuked. Usually I just have the time for one typhoon and in best case to cast some cyclone....
4) I think in bg I am doing slightly better my dps is usually close to top5 but I have much more to improve
5) Regarding my cc now. I am using cyclone, roots, when I have time mushrooms and kitiing enemies around having dots on them. I also switch to bear form for stunning them so after that to cyclone them. I am also using cat charge to stop spells.
6) as opener I prefer prowl so to be able to cast cyclone after that and mushrooms. I have also heard about the cat form stun but for that I need to add one-two combo points. Do you use that one?
7) I am having quite few troubles with mages. I am getting silenced all the time and frozen to the ground. I have the solar beem that under specific cases it can lock an enemy for many seconds there. The only problem though is that once I start the dps the entagling root will be removed and the enemy will be able to get out of it. How do you face locks and mages?
8) What else I am missing? How should I start doing arenas?
I would like to thank you in advance for your help
Edited by Hyená on 30/04/12 18:20 (BST)
1) Please start by looking on my gear and discuss about my mistakes... as you will see I am not yet hit capped and I do not really understand why especially when I have bought the spirit ring
single spirit ring won't get you hit capped, you need to get a total mix of 400 spirit/hit to get spellcapped
3) In arena I found my survilability to be really bad. I will be always the first target being nuked
im afraid this is the case for ALL moonkins right now, you are going to have to try make yourself not attacked first (tyvm cat stealth)
4) I think in bg I am doing slightly better my dps is usually close to top5
moonkins are generally top 5 in bgs, infact moonkins are loved in rbgs :)
5) Regarding my cc now. I am using cyclone, roots
do you root + solar beam? i hope you just forgot to mention it! basicly a 10 sec cc against casters (7 sec root + 3 sec for the caster to actually get out)
7) I am having quite few troubles with mages
Ohyes, well sir, the easy way to beat mages, keep lifebloom up and just powershift all the mages freezes, their dmg goes down the drain because they can't shatter, and save barkskin for deepfreeze always, if glyphed (which it should be) they will very likely not crit you, which is where most of the damage comes from
here you go :)
How do you face locks
warlocks are harder to beat than mages imo
i tend to just keep myself hotted up and hope i get lucky
Ohyes, well sir, the easy way to beat mages, keep lifebloom up and just powershift all the mages freezes, their dmg goes down the drain because they can't shatter, and save barkskin for deepfreeze always, if glyphed (which it should be) they will very likely not crit you, which is where most of the damage comes fromhere you go :)
Great tips.. can you comment a bit more for the quoted text please?
-"their dmg goes down the drain..."
their dmg goes down the drain..."
well, if a mage cant do a shatter combo, (completely supplied by the talent shatter in the frost tree) his dmg is halved, or maybe evn more than halved. no freezes = no crits
yes well, deepfreeze counts as a freeze for the shatter talent as everyone knows, which is based on crit damage (buffed by frost mages mastery) if you pop barkskin which reduces dmg by the norm 20% and the glyph comes into effect there crit % is down 25%, now NO frost mage stacks crit, so there crit will be around 25% anyway then reduced to near 0% (atleast i think thats how it works), basicly turns a massive shatter combo into a weak and pathetic hit :)
one more questions ...
is it possible to have a macro for pounce, crawl
my idea is to use it as opener and have fast two combo points to a target
then during fight you might also one use the cat stun...
What do you think?
How I can do that?
Moonkins get retarded with gear, and with that out of the way:
- Roots aren't really useful outside root silence or peeling melee off your teammates.
- Moonkin survivability is more or less centered around having a healer, so that kind of kills off 2v2.
- With cata pvp being what it is, most of the time the way to win is just doing as much damage as you can. If you can CC the other team's healer long enough so he falls back on healing and wont be able to dispel your dots, you'll win.
And now on to the numbers:
1. You should gem intellect and only intellect, its by far the best stat out there, note: my gems. If you do need yellow gems, and considering your gear you kind of do, use int + resi gems. Get your spirit aka hit from resto offset items and reforge as much of it as you can into haste. The gearing is more or less aimed towards getting as much intellect as possible and then reforging to haste.
Mastery is awful for moonkins both pvp and pve, so I'd suggest either getting the resto pants or reforging your wyrmhide pants into haste. Gearing through conquest you should start with the items you can't get from BH, like helm, shoulders, chest, weapon, offhand, relic. You should be able to get your weapons after a few weeks. After those are down start buying whatever you like, but try to avoid gloves + pants as long as possible.
Also use the spellpower use trinket, it's rather beast with starfall (till you score cunning from DS that is).
2. Oh snap
3. If you're playing a setup you're the main target in, you will need full pvp gear and 4,5k+ resi. but that'll come with gear. The second solution is playing a setup where you will never, ever get targeted, like Ele + Owl + Disc/Hpala. Its really fun up till you start meeting a lot of triple dps teams / RLS. Your other possibility is always LSD2 or Mage Moonkin Priest.
Remember, your best survival tool is your damage. Its kind of sad but I have to admit we played 10-2 last week and I only cast cyclone in 5 of the games(2 of those we lost, but ey, triple dps globaling our shaman), rest were dealt with HERP DERP damage and rootsilence on the healer.
4. In Bgs your job is to do ridiculous aoe damage and let your mates finish things off. I usually end up doing twice the dmg of the #2 person and have nearly half of the killing blows. Tab dot Tab dot mushrooms always works.
5. Regarding CC, most of the time I shift into bear for Frenzied regen and Stampeding roar, having no melee hit rating I sometimes just ignore bash, but its still really useful against rogues. Your CC will absolutely rape paladins, Root silence out of stealth, cyclone after, etc, they can't bubble out of clone. I usually find myself starting out with mushrooms out of stealth and just max range dot people, going for eclipse asap. You will, however have to control the other team's dps quite a bit given your resilience.
6. As mentioned in last paragraph Root silence is generally a better opener if you're going for a lot of damage fast. Cyclone should be cast directly out of stealth as pouncing first will 90% of the time put you in a really bad spot. Starfall damage will break roots very fast mind you so make sure you got no dots / starfall running on the target if you want them to stay in the roots.
7. 1v1 wise against mages you go all out and silence his offensive or defensive school, no use trying to root them. Use a single mushroom to get Earth and Moon debuff on them and just spam damage like no tomorrow, be agressive. Dont let them get the upper hand, also casting is overrated. Against Frost mages you want to silence their frost school and dot their pet while you're at it. Firemages I kind of play like warlocks, as their damage is a tad harder to stop.
Warlocks are a different story, you will want to max range them a lot, dot both the warlock and the pet. Keep hots up and just wear them down, throw starsurges on the lock, they will run out of mana / health. I rarely lose to warlocks, whereas mages are kind of 60-50
Edited by Tibilis on 07/05/12 06:10 (BST)
7) I am having quite few troubles with mages
Ohyes, well sir, the easy way to beat mages, keep lifebloom up How do you face locks [/quote]
Yeah, cause mages wont spellsteal that!
<---- Check my moonkin
0 spirit, because its a poor stat, you only need 5% hit, which can be reforged. Plus this way your bear bashes will hit, that extra stun is amazing against DK's AMS'ing and rogues with cloak up (just be sure to be behind the apponent at the time of bash or it will likely be dodged)
Dont worry about being trained in arena. When being trained just use your instants, get dots rolling on people. If theres one melee on you, cast a starfire, 9/10 he'll interrupt if, leaving you free to cyclone/root him in place and run free.
Get the barkskin glyph, save it for when people pop CD's on you, you will be very hard if not impossible for many classes to crit.
Against warriors spam Moonkin form shift, can be tough for them to keep up as they need to keep hamstringing/piercing howl.
Drop a point from furor, you only need one point for skullbash/stampeding roar in cat form, and for bear bash you can enrage-bash.
Drop a point from owlkin frenzy, you only really need one point in there.
Two extra points, you could grab dreamstate like me, because I cast my heals a lot and I never go oom. Or in the resto tree you can grab some minus spell damage, every little helps.
It gets much easier with gear though, 5k+ resilience and you survive a lot more.