Topic What should my dps be?
Im quite confused about the dps im hitting! The gear im wearing at the moment isn't great, but isn't bad either, some of it is from the raid finder!
Currently I have all my gear reforged and am hitting around 10k dps. Im wondering if my dps should be higher than this as it seems im not pulling my weight in raids.
90 Draenei Paladin
Pretty sure you need a ton more hit and;
7 empty glyph slots
9 unenchanted items
15 empty sockets in 9 items
Missing Ebonsteel Belt Buckle
Are you kidding, and 4 items from LFR..which you can't even be bothered to gem enchant, and you wonder why your DPS sucks, I'm guessing your style of play is just as terrible.
Sorry, I can only be honest.
You would gain almost 1200 int by gemming and enchanting your gear + power torrent. You are also lacking almost 11% hit.
The only way to fix your dps is by putting in some effort.
Ah, hello there! I’ve never really played a mage, so I’m just going off my WoW knowledge here. I am going to try (emphasis on try) to teach you how to gear up. I’ll try to go through your gear step by step (I’m assuming you know about stats and stuff here, btw). Also, I’m not very good at reforging, so I’m gonna steal some stuff off Noxxic for Arcane mages in the reforging sections (http://www.noxxic.com/wow/pve/mage/arcane/dps-gear-reforging)
• Your head is currently unenchanted. You need to get reputation with the Guardians of Hyjal (http://www.wowhead.com/faction=1158) in order to buy Arcanum of Hyjal . You’ve probably quested in Hyjal, so you’ve have gotten a lot of reputation from them already, but if not, head on over to Provisioner Whitecloud (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=50314) and buy a Tabard of the Guardians of Hyjal, and run some instances. This is also where you can buy the Arcanum of Hyjal . Gem wise, I would go with a Burning Shadowspirit Diamond, which you can buy off your Auction House for about 500g, in the meta socket and a Brilliant Inferno Ruby in the red socket. Go to Thaumaturge Vashreen in Stormwind (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=54441) and reforge that spirit to hit rating.
• I think your neck is okay.
• You need to buy a shoulder enchant from D’lom the Collector in Deepholm (http://www.wowhead.com/npc=45408). He is the quarter master for Therazane (http://www.wowhead.com/faction=1171). If you haven’t quested there, you’ll need to do that to buy the enchant, and if you don’t have the required rep, you’ll need to buy a Tabard of Therazane and run some instances. Reforge that Crit to Hit.
• For your cloak, it’s gemmed, but it needs enchanting. Grab an Enchant Cloak - Greater Intellect off the Auction House. You can probably go without reforging that for the time being.
• For your chest, you need to enchant it with Enchant Chest - Mighty Stats. There is a superior one, but that one usually costs a lot more. Once again, you can pick this up on the auction house. Replace the Fractured Amberjewel with a Reckless Ember Topaz, which you can buy on the AH. Reforge that crit to hit.
• You’ve already done some reforging on your bracers, which is good. They just need enchanting, with either Enchant Bracer - Speed or Enchant Bracer - Precision (I would recommend this is you’re trying to get to the hit cap) or Enchant Bracer - Mighty Intellect once you’ve reached the hit cap.
• Slap an Enchant Weapon - Power Torrent (preferable) or a Enchant Weapon - Hurricane (cheaper but less preferable :’( ) on your staff (which I’m really jealous of, btw :) )
• You’ve reforged your wand, which is about the only thing you can do with it, well done!
• Your gloves need enchanting. I would recommend Enchant Gloves - Haste. You’ve gemmed them, well done. Reforge that crit to hit.
• For your belt, replace the current gem with Reckless Ember Topaz. Buy an Ebonsteel Belt Buckle and attach it to your waist. Then slap a Brilliant Inferno Ruby in the new socket.
• Your pants need enchanting. Buy a Powerful Enchanted Spellthread, or the less powerful version, Enchanted Spellthread. Reforge that crit to hit. Good gemming.
• Your boots are gemmed. You’ll need to enchant them with either Enchant Boots - Lavawalker, but I’d advise you go for Enchant Boots - Precision, which will help you more and is probably cheaper. Undo the reforging you’ve already done and reforge the crit to hit (as far as I know, you never wanna reforge away from haste as an arcane mage)
• Replace your old gem and get a Reckless Ember Topaz for the socket on Band of Reconstruction.
• Leave Ring of the Loyal Companion alone.
• Annnnd both of your trinkets are also fine, but try to replace that green one ASAP.
Phew, sorry for the wall of text. As I’ve already said, mage is not my main class, I normally play a survival hunter :3 I’ll post this on my low level mage though, maybe that’ll reinforce my words somewhat...?
Anyway, if there are any errors, please point them out. I don’t usually write guides like this, but I thought I’d give it a go because it would have really helped me when I was gearing up.
Oh, and don’t buy gear with spirit. Buy the stuff with NO spirit.
Edited by Nibblelock on 17/06/12 08:34 (BST)
If you are playing arcane mage, a good addon for learning the rotation is "mage mana bar" as a lot of the bad arcane mages dont know when to burn mana and when to conserve - this tells you when to do what, is very helpful. This will probably get you quite a lot of dps if you aren't playing optimally.
I also agree withthe post above - spirit is baaaad