we consume content too fast?

90 Draenei Death Knight
I remember how fun and mildly chalenging were tbc hcs and scary raids were and then see what a joke are current hcs and raids are loot pinatas....
On top of that blizz is blaming me for "consuming" content too fast.

Makes me ill tbh;
I maybe was that big of a noob in tbc, but the content seemed to last for QUITE A WHILE back then.

If you make your content accesible to the illiterals - most people will start complaining of lack of content, who would have guessed?

Oh and what fun it is to run a raid in lfr, then normal, then hc...if the loot was different atleast in hc i guess it would be ok. But having 3 different scaled versions of each item devalues loot.
Many of you dont know this, but "back in the day" you didnt loot an epic every 5 sec, purple loot had some value other than vendor value attached to it.
85 Blood Elf Warrior
That's because of LFR and Dungeon finder trust me and heroics being to easy.
90 Night Elf Rogue
added to the fact there is no dungeon scaling anymore, regardless of how freshly dinged you are you go straight to the last content of raiding due to the way heroics and now LFR scale loot.

In TBC it had the same gear progression normal > HC > kara > SSC/TK > MH/BT > SWP

And I enjoyed that to be honest, but I quess blizzard would call it progress and catering towards the casual playerbase (Can't blame them for wanting more money, they are a PLC after all and have to answer to the shareholders not the gaming community) only problem is now a player that takes a 6-12 month break will never see raids like firelands because there is no reason to set foot in there because LFR drops equal stat gear

It is actually quite sad that blizzard have actually achieved the exact opposite of what they originally set out to do ie. allow everyone to see the content unlike naxx40 in vanilla, whilst I see what they were trying they have effectively stopped players from seeing the older raids in the expansion now.

my two cents and feel free to disagree with me
85 Blood Elf Paladin
So. You don't like the game? Cancel your sub and do something else. Problem solved.
90 Night Elf Rogue
03/07/2012 10:45Posted by Pallander
So. You don't like the game? Cancel your sub and do something else. Problem solved.

Are you one of these people that would go to a barbers, get a really bad cut and instead of comlaining say 'err, yea thats exactly the look I was hoping for??'

Face it, without complaints, problems never get resolved. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, just because you think the game is perfect may not neccessarily be the opinion held by every other player.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I remember how fun and mildly chalenging were tbc hcs and scary raids were and then see what a joke are current hcs and raids are loot pinatas....On top of that blizz is blaming me for "consuming" content too fast.

right on the spot - and no it is not you who consume content to fast...is Blizzard makeing to little, to easy, and way to boring.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Are you one of these people that would go to a barbers, get a really bad cut and instead of comlaining say 'err, yea thats exactly the look I was hoping for??'

Nope. I would complain and never go to that barbershop again. See. Just the way I advised you to do with WoW: Don't like a service, don't use the service. How about that.

03/07/2012 10:48Posted by Adrénalín
Face it, without complaints, problems never get resolved. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, just because you think the game is perfect may not neccessarily be the opinion held by every other player.

Fixing the "problems" the vocal minority here in the forums are QQing over would end up with Blizzard losing a whole lot of subs from the majority and as such - a pile of money. And as a company in the business of making money, they are not going to be stupid and do just that. Face it.
90 Pandaren Priest
''Don't like a service, don't use the service. How about that.''

Really? Grow up.

Over a period of years people spent time and money on their characters, on this game. Players see this game changing for the worse hence have complaints and try to get that across, all this in an attempt to make the game more enjoyful (or even half as enjoyful as it was back in TBC). In my opinion a "true" WoW player will see these complaints as legitimate, even if they don't necessarily agree with all of it.

You need to put time into your characters to get to enjoy the game to its fullest, it's an investment. Many players have spent many hours and days investing in this game and they see it paying off less and less, "Cancel your sub and do something else. Problem solved." does not apply here.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
''Don't like a service, don't use the service. How about that.''

Really? Grow up.

Oh, I've grown up enough to know when I don't like something and to stay away from that something.

Over a period of years people spent time and money on their characters, on this game. Players see this game changing for the worse hence have complaints and try to get that across, all this in an attempt to make the game more enjoyful (or even half as enjoyful as it was back in TBC). In my opinion a "true" WoW player will see these complaints as legitimate, even if they don't necessarily agree with all of it.

You need to put time into your characters to get to enjoy the game to its fullest, it's an investment. Many players have spent many hours and days investing in this game and they see it paying off less and less, "Cancel your sub and do something else. Problem solved." does not apply here.

So, you've invested time and money. Now that said investment has apparently gone more or less to waste as you no longer enjoy the game, you keep investing more of both, because you've invested before? That's just silly.
MVP
90 Night Elf Priest
03/07/2012 10:35Posted by Velvetti
I maybe was that big of a noob in tbc, but the content seemed to last for QUITE A WHILE back then.

I think, a bit like Njams says, that the Dungeon Finder and Raid Finder helps players consume content much faster than before, because accessability ceases to be a problem.

Thinking back, I remember how Stratholme was interesting throughout the whole of Vanilla. But I also remember it was because it was so difficult to run it to your heart's contents. You would spend quite a bit of time in Ironforge trying to find a group. Once you found one, you then had to spend 15 minutes flying and running to the actual instance. Then another 40ish minutes to actually do the instance.
And then if you wanted to run the instance again, your group had to run manually back out of the instance again :P
Or in the case where your group stopped after that one run, it meant HSing back to Ironforge to search for a new group.

Looking back, it's almost as if the game was working against you back then, doing everything in its power to make you as inefficient as humanly possible.

By comparison, WoW allows the player to be really efficient today. Especially that Dungeon Finder does so much in terms of letting players just focus on doing the dungeons, and not spending the majority of their time finding groups and traveling.

So ultimately, yeah, players do consume the content faster than ever before, but that's to be expected, because we probably also spend more time doing the actual content than ever before.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/07/2012 10:35Posted by Velvetti
blizz is blaming me for "consuming" content too fast.

Blizzard actually called you out specifically to tell you this.
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/07/2012 10:54Posted by Pallander
Nope. I would complain and never go to that barbershop again. See. Just the way I advised you to do with WoW: Don't like a service, don't use the service. How about that.

Yes, because the world is black and white, the term "customer feed-back" is utter nonsense and nobody on this planet ever solved a problem by talking things over.

If you ran a business and a client would be undecided about buying your product, you'd just look him straight in the eye and tell him "you take it or leave it, and that's the end of it" instead of trying to attract him. Bet that would lead to a tremendous successful business. Agreeing that this is the way Blizzard runs their business is like calling them stupid. Regardless of your opinion, they do listen to customer feed-back and when that feed-back is strong enough, they do take measures.

Communication, its a good thing.

How about that.

Fixing the "problems" the vocal minority here in the forums are QQing over would end up with Blizzard losing a whole lot of subs from the majority and as such - a pile of money. And as a company in the business of making money, they are not going to be stupid and do just that. Face it.

And did you come across a celestial revelation that told you that the current state of the game is what the majority of the players wants? Big words there, tiny man.
Heck, there's entire departments in some companies who's only job is to figure out what the market wants, and that is on a daily basis, because they are clever enough to know that in a business you need to adapt or die. They are called marketing departments, and there are special and highly ranked schools for that.

How can you tell newer players would not like a different system than the current one? They never experienced any other.

Here's how mature ppl solve their problems: they state the issue and they try to work it out. Only 5 years olds just stump their feet to the ground and say "no" regardless of what they are told.

@OP

Yes, the content feels very rushed nowadays. The fact that you can run LFR without much thought into it on 15 alts a week (if your brains hold) made LFR loose freshness very fast. The same happened with the troll instances or the HoT instances - ppl ran them to death because of the valor points, but the fact that they could browse through them 5-6 times a day made them very boring very fast.

The fact that you can completely bypass older content also makes you feel like you're playing a patch, not an expansion. Ppl don't go to older content unless they want some achievement. It makes it empty.

Lets face it, the main thing that drives us in the game is still the feeling of upgrading your character, which translates into better gear. You might have other reasons to go somewhere but the places that hold potential upgrades will always be the most exciting.
Yes, the old content is there for those that want to see it. Cross realm raiding of it helps a lot. But ppl need more reasons to go see it, other than for the sake of it.

They said that they removed the need to go to these places so new players and rerollers can get to experience the latest content faster. Imo, its a false solution, and this is why.

I was talking yesterday to a random warrior in Orgrimar. He told me "I'm fully raid finder geared and everything I could get outside actual raiding, but nobody would take me unless I have the achievement for killing DW normal. They ask me to be fully normal raid geared too"

And that is the issue:

If you have friends or a guild, they will not mind taking you in blues to a normal DS run, because they can boost you. If you don't, it wont matter again, because you don't have the achievement or you don't grossly overgear the place. In both cases, bypassing the older content doesnt do anything. I know a lot of "casual" ppl stuck into farming LFR for weeks. They could have needed to go see T11 and T12 instead of crafting themselves some 377 pvp gear to cut their way to victory in LFR and free loot. They could have had some good times for a week or 2 or 3, and they could have learned raid mechanics that would actually train them for harder bosses. Instead, they ran LFR for 10-20 times and still cant make it further.

I'd like to play an expansion again, not just the latest patch. I'd like to see most of the raid quality gear coming from raids, not from little points obtained by mindless 5 man spam. It's not a case of "zomg hardcore whining against casuals", on the contrary: I believe the casuals also have a right to be tried and to actually get their gear in the proper way. They have the right to have fun in progress too. They have the right for that gear to mean something. And they do have the right to still see meaningful content left after they completed the LFR weekly run.
85 Blood Elf Paladin

If you ran a business and a client would be undecided about buying your product, you'd just look him straight in the eye and tell him "you take it or leave it, and that's the end of it" instead of trying to attract him.

Well. If I was in the business of selling wooden chairs and someone wanted to buy a house built of stone, just because I used to sell them in the past and noticed that there really isn't enough of a market for them, and expected my business to start selling them, then yes, I would.

03/07/2012 11:21Posted by Saphiramoon
And did you come across a celestial revelation that told you that the current state of the game is what the majority of the players wants? Big words there, tiny man.

Tiny man? Yup, there went your credibility if you ever had any. I came across it this amazing way - by looking at the subscriber numbers which are incredibly high and relatively stable considering it's a game that is almost 8 years old and has had a pile of contenders that have failed more or less miserably. The message is clear: This game has not lost its appeal in the eyes of the paying masses. That and the fact that these kind of forums tend to pull in mostly the most devout, the most hardcore of the players and those kind of people tend to be the minority in any community of this scale.

Think about a forum on ice hockey (or whatever sport). Do you really think that the voice of the majority in forums is that of the majority of people buying tickets to the games? Or is it the voice of the people who maybe put a bit too much of themselves into the subject of the forums?
Edited by Pallander on 03/07/2012 11:30 BST
90 Night Elf Hunter
The original TBC raids did indeed last the longest in the entire game: 4 months, from the down of H-K Maulgar in late January, to Kael in late of May. The content last long enough, that the Black Temple patch was released before the world first of Kael.

Now think of the easiest raid in WoW history: Dragon Soul.
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/07/2012 11:17Posted by Jito
Thinking back, I remember how Stratholme was interesting throughout the whole of Vanilla. But I also remember it was because it was so difficult to run it to your heart's contents. You would spend quite a bit of time in Ironforge trying to find a group. Once you found one, you then had to spend 15 minutes flying and running to the actual instance. Then another 40ish minutes to actually do the instance.

40 min for both wings, not bad used to spend 1 or 1,5 hour with that.

But - yea maybe you do spend more time in the dungeons, but you do it with 4 npc, and not with 4 players, who you might make to your friend if they are nice.

And - yea, it was a challenge to do a dungeon, but as you actually had to do an effort, and you could not just leave after 1 wipe, and shout all kind of rubbish at the others. if you did, you were close to have done your last dungeon, as repputation on a server ment something.

So people were forced to work together with the cards you were dealt, and THAT was fun - to overcome a challenge as a team - not by playing imba solo and leave when you did not get it as you wanted.

And.. lol you actually had to travel to that place (or 3 had to so they could summon the rest from sun stone..) and was that bad.. no, as you actually saw the nice scenery in the HUGE world of warcraft - and not just a city and a portal..
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/07/2012 11:17Posted by Jito
By comparison, WoW allows the player to be really efficient today.

Yes, but since when even games had to be about efficiency?

What would you like to imagine yourself as, a hero on an epic journey, or a little chinese man on a tight schedule?

Nowadays I often feel I'm just a little wheel in a the big machine of the mighty looking dungeon/raid. I rarely use either of them unless I'm leveling - and even then, I tend to pvp for most of the time because of the empty feeling this mindless spam ended up giving me. Yes, it took more than an hour to run Stratholme back in the day. But it was an event, I still remember my first Stratholme run and all the excitement, because it was challenging and I had put effort into making the group. I needed to communicate with ppl, both outside and inside the dungeon. I became more social and I made friends. Do you make friends in LFR?

I honestly prefer the system some user made sites implemented - like the open-raid one. It offers a solid interface for ppl to interact and find each other but ppl still need to interact and you still have a saying in your group composition. You need to learn to lead and you need to learn at least some basics of other classes to do it properly. This allows for a bit more challenge too, because you don't need a standard so low, that it can be done with 0 communication, which is completely against the idea of a "massively multiplayer" game.

I think such a solid interface could have been offered by blizzard and it would have been a better solution than the randomizing thing. I leveled my priest in TBC as holy, which means I mostly did dungeons. I did use the looking for dungeon that existed back then, and its only problem was that it was rudimentary and not many ppl knew about it to use it.

The LFR system makes me feel like a bot. No wonder so many of them are populating it, and sadly enough, its turning even real players into behaving like bots.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Fixing the "problems" the vocal minority here in the forums are QQing over would end up with Blizzard losing a whole lot of subs from the majority and as such - a pile of money. And as a company in the business of making money, they are not going to be stupid and do just that. Face it

that's a preety bold statement

Can you prove that the majority of wow players have truely enjoyed cataclysm? are you really that arrogant that you can put your hand on your heart and say this game is perfect and the 'minority' as you put it are completely wrong and unjustified in thier petty arguements with blizzard??

Please, I have played since oct 05, I raided all through vanilla and TBC, PVPd through wotlk after Ulduar (In my opinion the last truely great raid instance) and in my opinion TBC had the best raids and Wotlk S7 was probably the most balanced season

Catacylsm has brought : Rehashed raid bosses, poor balance, complete lack of inspiring gameplay

Note : read the underlined and bolded bit, it is MY opinion, not yours, if you don't agree with me then fine, but that dosn't make you right
Still can't believe your arrogance in thinking that your opinion is the same opinion as the majority without any proof whatsoever to back up your statement
90 Blood Elf Priest
03/07/2012 11:32Posted by Jespera
Now think of the easiest raid in WoW history: Dragon Soul.

slam.. and done.. and then rinse and repeat untill your guts fall out of boredom...
90 Orc Shaman
They should add another mode to dungeons. First there's normal, like our normal instances today. Then there is heroics, which gives epic gear and lets you stay top-to-toe with incoming instances and raids.

Then they should add Hardcore, which makes the content in the instance a lot harder, but awards even better gear than heroic.

So people who have a familiy and have work hours around 9, can still get appropriate gear. And the hardcore Wow-fans can still get better gear for working these instances in hardcore mode, and brag about it.

Sorry for going off-topic.

*Shrug*
85 Blood Elf Paladin

Can you prove that the majority of wow players have truely enjoyed cataclysm? are you really that arrogant that you can put your hand on your heart and say this game is perfect and the 'minority' as you put it are completely wrong and unjustified in thier petty arguements with blizzard??

Of course I can not prove it, but there are clear indicators towards it. See my last post.

Note : read the underlined and bolded bit, it is MY opinion, not yours, if you don't agree with me then fine, but that dosn't make you right

I've never claimed that. But that stuff there being your opinion doesn't make it any more right, either.

I'm merely saying that if you guys keep complaining about the game for months on end without any results, do everyone a favor and just quit instead of complaining some more.
Edited by Pallander on 03/07/2012 11:45 BST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]