Sword art Online - What if it was real ?

90 Draenei Shaman
Hi and welcome to my thread

i don't know about you all on this forum, but i love to watch and read japanese anime/manga
a few weeks ago i started watching a new show about a game called Sword art Online
to make it faster i wont type all myself but quote the plot from wiki :p

plot:
In the year 2022, the Virtual reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) Sword Art Online (SAO) is released. With the Nerve Gear, a VR Helmet that stimulates the user's five senses via their brain, players can experience and control their in-game characters with their minds. But an unexpected event occurs on November 6, 2022 when Akihiko Kayaba, the creator of SAO, prevents the players from logging out. Akihiko issues them a challenge; if they wish to be free and log out of the game, they must reach the 100th floor of the game's tower and defeat the final boss. However, if their avatars die in the game, so will their bodies in the real world. As the game's 10,000 players try to accept their new deadly predicament, Kirito, a skilled player who tested the beta version of the game, is determined to reach the 100th floor and be free. Along with Asuna, his partner and love interest, and their friends, Kirito and his allies will face many obstacles, participate in other VRMMO games, and discover the true purpose of SAO.

okay so bassicly, every player is trapped in the game, and if they die in game or leave the game they just die in real life.

so my question is, what do you guys think if a game like this would be made in real life ??

my answer: if they remove the real life kill thingy i would so gonna play it :p
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
okay so bassicly, every player is trapped in the game, and if they die in game or leave the game they just die in real life.

so my question is, what do you guys think if a game like this would be made in real life ??

Uhh... yea... welcome Illuminati control-the-world game 2012!

Basicly, I'd love to experience true virtual reality gameplay like that, although I'd likely **** my pants the first time a sword was swung at me.
Edited by Zinthra on 13/08/2012 19:48 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I'd play it even if the real-life death death happened it would be my kinda thing.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'd be one of the first to buy it. (Damn I love Sword Art Online). Though I probably would die on the inside a bit when I see a beast running to me. xD
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
If the game really existed, i had to have it, even if i would have known that when i die in the game i also will die in real life....

Its would be a dream that comes true!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Well, since there are all 5 senses, which include feeling the sword cracking my skull, I would not play it. I would wait for Women and boobs with no violence at all Online mmo instead.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Actually, it is stated that while you can feel things within the game, you do not experience pain just a somewhat strange sensation in the area where you are hit.

While I'm not all for the die in real life if you die in the game ( I don't want to die, I'd probably become a fisherman X3), the rest of it is a dream. I'd sure as hell play Sword Art Online if it was real, I love the VR aspect of it.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
85 Gnome Mage
Actually, it is stated that while you can feel things within the game, you do not experience pain just a somewhat strange sensation in the area where you are hit.

While I'm not all for the die in real life if you die in the game ( I don't want to die, I'd probably become a fisherman X3), the rest of it is a dream. I'd sure as hell play Sword Art Online if it was real, I love the VR aspect of it.
This :-)

Defo play it (though i'd prefer not to die! :P)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
sword art online baby...........kirito will get owned by my op warrior avatar,,,,.. good thing no mages in this mmo ..wink lool
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
05/12/2012 06:37Posted by Dragfisnight
sword art online baby...........kirito will get owned by my op warrior avatar,,,,.. good thing no mages in this mmo ..wink lool

well if you look in the second season of the show there will be magic :p
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Gun gale online the 3rd Arc of sao is rumored to be airing march/april

Staying on Topic iv'e been researching a lot reading a ton of articles about VR ever since sao has been launched.

Tech is ever advancing and VR is already possible somewhat anyway.

http://www.oculusvr.com/ seems to be the first good try at a vr headset this will be a stepping stone for a much larger scene.

But yeah, i would for sure play the game i absolutely love the anime :).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
nothing has been announced yet as u say only rumors about a season 2 and it wouldnt be for march/april to soon and btw sao+alfheim count as 1 season
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
i know something like that will happen one day.
games have reached their limit this will revolutionize gaming!

and mark my words it will happen soon !
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
So i did some researching on the interwebs And i would say the closest thing to Sword Art Online would be with a ''Mind controll'' (http://www.psfk.com/2012/06/control-video-games-with-mind.html) And a ''Oculus Rift'' (http://www.oculusvr.com/) Right now
Edited by Ghostrunner on 20/06/2013 23:03 BST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
I really hope if blizzard would make a nerve gear wow would be the top game in the world better then ms lol dota and every thing wow will be better if it has a nerve gear everybody who don't like wow will go and buy the account and buy the nerve gear
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Or total immersion video game 'Better than life' where electrodes are inserted into you frontal lobes and hypafathoms and you actual feel like your really there. The game detects all your fantasies and wants and makes them happen.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
The show, in my opinion, was terrible.

The type of real immersion game I would play, but without the real life death part. ;-)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Holy necro Batman!

But having just recently watched Sword Art Online (and fallen totally in love with it) I've been doing digging. And I'm not going to lie, I am VERY excited about the future. EEG tech allowing you to run games with thought patterns (still in infancy) and the Oculus Rift. I mean, the Rift is so realistic and immersive it actually tricks many peoples brains. For instance, people flying have said they get a fake sense of momentum, people have ducked to try and avoid hitting their head in-game etc.

I really expect that something like the NerveGear and perhaps a VRMMORPG will exist in the next 10-20 years. I'm hoping and praying it will be more like 10. I want to enjoy that kinda tech in my prime, not when I'm an older man with a 9-5 job and (hopefully) kids etc.

That aside, if SAO were ever released? I would snap it up in a heartbeat. And in, what I realise is perhaps a weird way, I'd enjoy it if you couldn't just escape the game. I won't elaborate too much but to me the whole concept is fascinating.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

SAO made me puke. Every female character in it were just varitations of the same person, and they all fell in love with the main character. Seriously, even his mother? what the beep.

The idea seemed awesome though, would love playing a game like that.

Edit: Mother, Aunt, Cousin, what.
Edited by Earithrandil on 04/01/2014 16:22 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
well i liked SAO and i am not big fan of anime or whatever it is.

Yes it can be reality in future, its thing called virtual reality theres nothing new about that idea.

my answer: if they remove the real life kill thingy i would so gonna play it :p

If there was possibility that you die irl if you die in game the makers of game wouldnt tell that so you would play it anyway without knowing.

Also if anyone is stupid enough to stick their head in to microwave well maybe they die for a reason, meaning that the fact that SAO nerve gear things have similar waves as microwave is kind of stupid because that kind of waves have almost nothing to do with human brain and virtual reality, well except that it would be good way to cook or destroy your brain.

Biggest danger virtual reality would have is that people who use it can lose their sense of reality.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]