Account-wide Pets with Patch 5.0.4

Community
When Patch 5.0.4 goes live, we will be implementing systems that prepare characters for the Pet Battles system that is coming with World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria, and bringing account-wide non-combat pets to the game. During the patching process, non-combat pets will be migrated among your characters, with the final result being all of your non-combat pets available to all of your characters. This initial adjustment to your catalog of pets includes several changes that are worth noting.

1. There will be a limit of 500 pets, per player, that can be carried going forward.
  • Players will be allowed to go over the 500 pet cap during the 5.0.4 migration.
  • The migration will not convert more than a total of 1500 pets for a player.
  • Unique pets will be merged, so there will not be more than one unique pet on an account.

2. Pets that can only be used by characters of the other faction will be greyed out.
  • Such pets can only be summoned by characters of the proper faction.
  • Examples include: Balloons, Moonkin Hatchlings.
  • There are certain pets that will not be account-wide. Examples include: Guild Page, Guild Herald, Argent Squire, Argent Gruntling.

3. Players should not see more than one of any unique pets. Examles include: Lil' KT, Murky, and Frosty.

4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.
Edited by Ulvareth on 27/08/2012 13:52 BST
Reply Quote
63 Blood Elf Death Knight
And this is across all Warcraft accounts in my battle.net account?

Edit: So if I have a pet on WoW1 I will get it on WoW2 as well?
Edited by Lurkalot on 27/08/2012 14:23 BST
Reply Quote
70 Human Warrior
Typo at 3. Examles include: Lil' KT, Murky, and Frosty
Reply Quote
1 Troll Warrior
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413172080?page=7#138

The key is to differentiate between pets that your characters have learned, and potential pets that you have as items in bags or banks or in the mail or on the AH.

Pets that your characters have learned are going to be merged, and will be account-wide thereafter.

Pets that are items will be unaffected.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I have followed the info on the US forum, where there are a LOT more posts, but one question seems to be ignored, and since I sadly cant write there and ask, I have to do it here hoping for more luck.

It is about number 4.

See I have been collecting pets for years on all my chars. I am sitting on 10-15 of most pets. I have actually been spending all my gold over the years making sure all my ladies had all versions of all pets I was hunting for.
15 x all versions of the Whelplings are a LOT of gold. 15 x all tournement pets, firefly so on and so on. Lets just say I have spended LOT of gold on this.
I farmed all events pets, most quests pets x 10-13. Again a LOT of time invested in it. Now it wasent that much fun, to be honest after char 5 it REALLY wasnt fun, but I felt it was worth it, and I wanted to do it and felt good after it was done.

So all pets gets accout bound, awsome I think. I keep checking up, and I hear that all you have more of it mailed to you.
I think awsome, now I can actually get some of the gold back I spended back then, so I was still happy. No gold or time wasted.

The 15 august there are a new blue post saying, extra pets will no longer be mailed to you in game if you dont have the room, instead they will be added to the book.
I was thinking that I would rather have them in the mail so easier and faster to sell the extra so I could get some of the gold spended back in, but ok, I could still work with it, would just take longer before I could start selling them, but .. yeah still felt ok about it.

Then now I see a new blue post, 2 days before the patch with the changes goes live telling me, that they will all get merged into a max of 3. Three ??? What with the other 10-12 of them, they go up in smoke now ? Even thou less then 2 weeks ago a blue post said something else ?
I am no longer a very happy puppy, for the first time I feel that if that is true and goes live, I wasted tons of gold and hours in the game.
I strongly consider splitting my 2 accs on my battlenet acc into 2, so that I can atleast save 3 of the different versions pets on the other accs. But I would have my leave my "new battlenet acc" unprotected, and since I play all and was looking forward to the new account bound for pets and mounts, this would be VERY annoying to do, and unless I could move the account "back" into my battlenet acc after I had saved 3 of the different types of pets, it would backfire on me mount vise and with new pets.

I am REALLY not happy anymore, and actually came back to the game because the pets and mounts was going account bound and the pet battle. I cheered for MoP, now after 7½ years I can only think of how much gold and hours I might have wasted if 10-12 of all I have collected goes up in smoke.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'll try and ask here since my attempts at asking this question on the US forum has not yeilded an answer.

If the battle.net account has both an EU and a US license under them will the pets be shared between them?

Example, I have the Azure Whelping on this toon so will my US license which is under the same battle.net account have access to it as well?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
27/08/2012 13:46Posted by Ulvareth
4. All standard pets will be merged, with a limit of three per type. Players who currently have more than three of the same pet across their characters will see a total of three after the migration. Examples of standard pets: Orange Tabby Cat, Brown Prairie Dog, Crimson Whelpling.

What does this mean? If it means that pets are going to be taken away from us, then I wish you had mentioned it earlier so the community could provide feedback on it, because I'm sure that it will be a very unpopular change. I have all the cat pets on several of my characters, does this mean that I will lose all but three on each character, and I don't even get to choose which ones I want to keep? Bad move, Blizzard.

Edit: To clarify, I am talking about pets that I have learned.
Edited by Symet on 27/08/2012 15:32 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
*sign*
Yes, it most likely will means, that pets will be taken away from us and go up in smoke, and people will not be very happy, even worse that it was thrown on us 2-3 days before it will take part.

However Symet, it says that you get to keep 3 of all versions of the cats you have, all over all your chars, accs bound to that battlenet account.
So if you have the white, bombay, black, grey and orange on 2 chars you will still have all those in your new pet book, x2, since they are all different versions on the very cute kitten.
You wouldnt lose anything.

However lets say you have 10 white kittens learned all over the acc and 10 black ones because you just love those, then with the 3 of each max (horrible messed up9 newly added rule, you will lose 7 of each type, so you would end up with 3 white and 3 black that all on the battlenet acc can see and use.
Edited by Leysa on 27/08/2012 15:53 BST
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior

What does this mean? If it means that pets are going to be taken away from us, then I wish you had mentioned it earlier so the community could provide feedback on it, because I'm sure that it will be a very unpopular change. I have all the cat pets on several of my characters, does this mean that I will lose all but three on each character, and I don't even get to choose which ones I want to keep? Bad move, Blizzard.

Edit: To clarify, I am talking about pets that I have learned.

Can someone please clarify this, especially with regards to the whelplings? During vanilla and later on I spent more hours than I care to admit grinding for the set of whelplings and bought the collector's editions (not especially easy to get hold of either) to get a collection of whelplings. Are they removing all but three?
Edited by Vayde on 27/08/2012 16:06 BST
Reply Quote
52 Troll Priest
i don't get your confusion you had on all characters pet xy (10*pet xy), you'll have it on every character after the patch as well - but only three times

1.pet xy
2. pet xy
3. pet xy

1. pet omglol
2. pet omglol
3. pet omglol

and so on. What do you want with 10? I mean, you don't lose any of them and you couldn't use more than three of them at the same time neither (only 3 pet battle slots).

Unlearned pets (items) are not affected by this rule. You can have quadrillions of cats at your bank and they'll still be there tuesday.
Edited by Thuana on 27/08/2012 16:07 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Ofcourse I lose them if all my 13-15 times pets turn into 3. It means I lose over 3/4 of all the pets I have brought, farmed, worked for or putted in the hours in getting.

13-15 isnt the same as 3, simple math here. That I cant use more then 3 at a time in a pet battle isnt the point here. What I want with them or why I farmed or paid for that many over the years also have very little to do with the point here.

I putted in the time, gold and effort in getting them all, so why should I be happy with hearing 2½ days before it will happen that over 3/4 of my pets will go up in smoke when I have been told in blue posts (one less then 2 weeks ago) that it wouldnt happen.
Reply Quote
52 Troll Priest
so you want to store thema ll and never use them? that's just wasting servers. now you don't benefit from them and you'll not benefit from them in the future. why bothering yourself if it's just a new way of using your pets efficiantly?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
27/08/2012 14:21Posted by Lurkalot
And this is across all Warcraft accounts in my battle.net account?

Correct. The achievements, pets and mounts involved in the account-wide system are Battle.net account-wide, not WoW account-wide. :)
Reply Quote
- CS
90 Blood Elf Mage
Hmmm, the number of 500 after 5.0.4. seems really low - for some people they really are true collectors of pets might dislike it. Although the migration solves it partly by converting up to 1500.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I actually had a lot of pets unlearned throughout my alts' banks and after Kaivax's post I happily said "yeah, I can finally start cleaning up some bank space", so I learned them all assured that at transition I will be able to keep above 3 as an exception.

Needless to say I am seething now. Even logged a ticket but the GM basically referred me back to the forum post I was quoting in my ticket. Proving that he did not really care to understand where I was coming from.

I understand that some design plans may change over the months of development but just a few days before the patch hits? Not good service.
Reply Quote

This means, that if you have for example Westfall chicken on 10 chars, after this patch thing, each of those chars will have three Westfall Chickens.

Thats how I read it, must be to do with Pet Battles I think.

Childrens week is going to be screwed next year eh :(
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
2. Pets that can only be used by characters of the other faction will be greyed out.

Such pets can only be summoned by characters of the proper faction.
Examples include: Balloons, Moonkin Hatchlings.

Moonkin hatchlings are from the pet store, atm i have it on my horde and alliance chars, aren't you mistaken about that one?

How about the lanterns from enchanting, is the alliance one going to dissapear?

How about my Mini Tyrael, this atm is a pet i have to and can only be send around on chars on the same realm, will my gnome on silvermoon have it too after the patch?

Will all the pets that stayed an item after learning and are accountbound atm finally stop being a placeholder in my inventory?

I have 164 companions on this char, what will be left of it after this accountbound merge, will they become less?
Edited by Shioban on 27/08/2012 21:54 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Spelling mistake at 3 examples
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

Such pets can only be summoned by characters of the proper faction.
Examples include: Balloons, Moonkin Hatchlings.

Moonkin hatchlings are from the pet store, atm i have it on my horde and alliance chars, aren't you mistaken about that one?

How about the lanterns from enchanting, is the alliance one going to dissapear?

How about my Mini Tyrael, this atm is a pet i have to and can only be send around on chars on the same realm, will my gnome on silvermoon have it too after the patch?

Will all the pets that stayed an item after learning and are accountbound atm finally stop being a placeholder in my inventory?

I have 164 companions on this char, what will be left of it after this accountbound merge, will they become less?

You have a different moonkin hatchling on alliance than you do on horde (purple or brown). So if you're on your alliance toon the horde one will be grayed out and vice versa.

And you should get the same number of pets or more. If everything stays like it was in the beta you'll keep all the pets you already have + gain the pets you have on your other characters as well. And if you have a tabby cat on 5 characters you'll have 3 tabby cats total now. (You can only have 3 of each pet for pet battles). The pet menu for pandaria shows all your pets across all characters at the same place. So it's no longer a separate window for each character.
Edited by Zíel on 28/08/2012 13:28 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I was going to ask for clarification on number 4 as well, but I think I figured it out. Incidentally it's very poorly worded and you might want to find another way to say what you mean.

I did some experimenting with pet battles on Beta, and basically this is how it works: You have your pets, you battle other pets. At a certain point, you can capture other pets. Not all pets are created equal, meaning if you capture one Rat, not all other rats are going to be just like it. So you'll want to capture another Rat. And maybe another. And, just for fun, two or three more. (I'm trying not to give too much away here, some people don't want spoilers.)

Back to the pets you already have. Let's say you have 10 toons on a realm. Each of those toons has a Siamese Cat. That's 10 Siamese Cats total across that realm. I -think- what number 4 is saying is that once the patch hits your pet journal, on each toon, will have 3 Siamese Cats in it instead of 10. So you're not losing any pets on any of your toons. Technically speaking, you're gaining 2 pets on each toon (since instead of having just 1 Siamese Cat, now each one will have 3). I think. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's what it means. I don't know how this affects pets in bags (ie: Not yet known) but I'm going to assume that it doesn't affect them at all.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, please.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]