Option to Disable Account Wide Achievements

90 Night Elf Warrior
Well, the new patch is here and a lot of it I like and a lot I don't. The main thing I dislike is the account wide achievements, which makes it feel less like I'm playing different characters and more like a single character. The sense of individualism of each character is gone. A level 1 alt I made has the Exalted title (despite being currently exalted with zero factions), the Explorer title (despite never having set foot outside the Elwynn Forest), the Patient title (despite never having even entered a dungeon let alone finished one) and more mounts and pets than I can shake a stick at. Seems kinda pointless levelling up more than one character now seeing as everything I might want to do with them has already been done.

So... any possibility of an option to disable account wide achievements at some point? Maybe a switch you can toggle? An NPC you can talk to who will disable them for a fee? Or simply just have it that only achievements gained on an alt can be displayed on that alt?

Failing that, does anyone know of an addon that disables account wide achievements?
Edited by Shyressa on 29/11/2012 18:52 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
read the url and idd,
great minds....
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
In case of mounts account wide I can understand but achievement are really too much.

So I can in future make some new noob alt (warr tank for example) and lie that all achies I earned on that char, from Vanilla to now, is crazy and stupid:/
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Me too, please.

I was just thinking about this today.

One of the first things I did on each alt was tick the "Display only this character's achievements to other players" button, but that doesn't go nearly far enough.

I still look at the achievements pane, on my level 7, and see that I have nothing to look forward to. I've already done all the quests and dungeons in Azeroth - what more is there for my little fellow to do?

It makes me feel that the game's finished.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
You should have just delete all characters before 5.0.4 .Than when you start new char you wont have any achis. At least thats what i did.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
... There's always someone.
If you see a full achievement list as a bad thing you might wanna retink what achievements really are, I have 10 characters where 3 of them had 6k + with my rogue having nearly 11k
the other 7 characters, (all 10 characters are 85) had around 2-3k achievements some of which I am good enough to do raids but would have a hard time getting in because I couldn't prove without using an addon.
Also I felt discouraged from changing my well established rogue even when the gear was reset and many other had the same problems.

But feel free to be angry because you didn't like the change, I liked it.
Reply Quote
the biggest problem whit account wide archivements is if you have done a raid 1 char all alts have the archivement :-p
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
31/08/2012 23:32Posted by Gnomeftw
the biggest problem whit account wide archivements is if you have done a raid 1 char all alts have the archivement :-p

Is that a problem, its just a participant award and on lots of servers pugs were very harsh in enforcing achievements.

LF3M DS normal, must have [Realm First! Deathwing] or better
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
... There's always someone.
If you see a full achievement list as a bad thing you might wanna retink what achievements really are, I have 10 characters where 3 of them had 6k + with my rogue having nearly 11k
the other 7 characters, (all 10 characters are 85) had around 2-3k achievements some of which I am good enough to do raids but would have a hard time getting in because I couldn't prove without using an addon.
Also I felt discouraged from changing my well established rogue even when the gear was reset and many other had the same problems.

Good for you. Personally I hated it. But you're missing the point anyway. I'm not proposing Blizzard do away with the idea of account wide achievements (though given the choice that's what I'd do) but simply allow those of us who dislike them to have the option of disabling them. It won't affect anyone else so if level 1 alts wants to run around and show off their Kingslayer or Exalted titles, they can do. The only people it will affect are those in favour of it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
31/08/2012 23:31Posted by Grizzlok

I might euphemistically call "angry" a mischaracterisation in that sentence.

If you really want to regard emotions as relevant, chalk me down as a bit sad.

Whet the OP proposes, and I support, is not a removal of the change - just the change of the "Display only this character's achievements to other players" function to "Display only this character's achievements".

It's a personal choice that doesn't affect you, if you don't want it to.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I still look at the achievements pane, on my level 7, and see that I have nothing to look forward to. I've already done all the quests and dungeons in Azeroth - what more is there for my little fellow to do?

Same. :(

After a long break I returned to make this character on a new server. I started out with a clean slate. It was fantastic. No achivements, no heirlooms, no gold. Just like it was at the beginning. Last few weeks I was gathering achievements and shaping my character a bit. I was really enjoying WoW again. With this patch, it's like I was boosted by my old character I don't even want to play anymore. Nothing is personal anymore, no character will ever be unique, unless you buy another account. I'm more sad that I'm annoyed...

I know lots of people are happy by this move Blizzard made, but I just got nothing to look forward to ingame anymore. I had so many plans with this character, but why bother now... All I'd get is a toast window for an achiv I allready have, with points I've allready got displayed, for zero effort... Hurray.

I wish I had deleted my long forgotten char on that server before the patch...
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
Isnt there interface option that allow you to disable account achievements on your character? Why dont you just use that,it will look like you dont have any achievements
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock

Same. :(

After a long break I returned to make this character on a new server. I started out with a clean slate. It was fantastic. No achivements, no heirlooms, no gold. Just like it was at the beginning. Last few weeks I was gathering achievements and shaping my character a bit. I was really enjoying WoW again. With this patch, it's like I was boosted by my old character I don't even want to play anymore. Nothing is personal anymore, no character will ever be unique, unless you buy another account. I'm more sad that I'm annoyed...

I know lots of people are happy by this move Blizzard made, but I just got nothing to look forward to ingame anymore. I had so many plans with this character, but why bother now... All I'd get is a toast window for an achiv I allready have, with points I've allready got displayed, for zero effort... Hurray.

While I understand (and share for the most part) your sentiments - they basicaly killed off true alting and hence a great deal of all-ready Shattered replayability of the game - buying another account won't work unless you make sure it's on another Battlenet Account.

31/08/2012 23:29Posted by Dameat
You should have just delete all characters before 5.0.4 .Than when you start new char you wont have any achis. At least thats what i did.

That might work if you concentrate on just one character (though according to some posts on the Alternative Twinking Forum on Twinkinfo that won't work, either, at least post-Patch) but if like me you don't have a 'main' but a bunch of individual characters with their own Achievements and Mounts, having to Delete them just because the special snowflake brigade can lazy away isn't an option.

Except for removed content, ALL content was potentially Accountwide already, you just needed to really want it to be so.

There was absolutely no need for this change outside the teeny 'Link Achievement!' crowd, and people thinking that the E-Jerks just won't find new ways to exclude people are deluding themselves, they've always did, just give them some time and we'll see the Fora filled with complaints again from people who for some unfanthomable reason want to be part of that social niche.
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
01/09/2012 09:57Posted by Dameat
Isnt there interface option that allow you to disable account achievements on your character? Why dont you just use that,it will look like you dont have any achievements

Can't Track them then anymore on the character in question, either (unless they changed that)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
You will still be able to get new achievements on alts, even if they are ticked off.
Plus in guildroster it only counts the achiements you got on that specific character.

This change have made me get my !@# together and actually gear and play alts though^^
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
01/09/2012 09:57Posted by Dameat

If there is I have not found it... The only one I found was the ' Display Only Character Achievements to Others '

Trouble I have is that I was going through each of the areas with this character to get all the quests awards and exploration and seeing how I could better what I had done before. Trouble is after logging my other chars their achievements changed my achievement number so I had to stop logging. Then worse, the auto tracker showing my status for quests in the zone no longer showed where I was cus it had now logged I had done the quests for the region previously. So well done Blizzard. Unless there is the button on the interface to disable achievements, pets, statistics you just ruined the varying character challenge that was so rewarding.

I'm back to bits of paper and adding up stuff myself and making sure I watch the rep, only use the mounts I have earned and so on. It's a work around but really... what is the point.

Anyway if there is that magical button please be more specific. Also if there is a magical button to disable mounts and pets that would be good. Also I have lost my progression off the armory and the armory no longer makes any sense. Is there a third party product I can use to track individual character progression.

Annoyed I have to say but am prepred to be corrected. Cus that would be a relief. PS you may as well get rid of the achievement system now to be honest cus its become confused and a touch painful to interpret. Don't get it. I'll just use my bits of paper... seems what I have to do now anyway.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Gnome Mage
Well personally I love the account wide achievements. But... if others don't like it at all then an option to turn it off won't harm me at all. I'm sure that sounds selfish but really I'm just being honest. So.. really I see no problem with it if it happened!
Edited by Eolien on 01/09/2012 10:45 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
So I can in future make some new noob alt (warr tank for example) and lie that all achies I earned on that char, from Vanilla to now, is crazy and stupid:/

Not sure if troll or stupid.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
You people are never satisfied, always looking for something else to complain about. Its been moaned at for years now that people don't want to explore classes outside there own because of the effort invested into there main character, in which blizzard have finally given leeway to those people. Infact nothing stops you from earning the achevement AGAIN, aswell as a pet/mount for that perticular character a second time.

Also guess what? the achievement dates still predate to the character that earned it.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
I really don't like this feature. I always found that the achievements make every character induvidual. Now my main doesn't feel like my main anymore, since all other chars have the same achievements.
I really hope we get the option to turn the sharing off.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]