Trojan in the wow.exe

85 Human Death Knight
Just tried to start WoW and the antivirus reported Trojan Horse Generic29.ASNJ in wow.exe and moved it in the virus vault. Then I downloaded the wow.exe from a separate machine (not in a network with my PC) and the same problem again. Scanning the computer but there is no viruses. I'm using AVG Free edition.

Will be happy if u can assist.
Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
90 Pandaren Shaman
09/09/2012 13:58Posted by Rekh
I'm using AVG Free edition.

There have been lots of false positive results from AVG in recent months, LOTS.

WoW.exe is not a virus, you should restore it from your vault and carry on. If you want a better free antivirus solution, remove AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://windows.microsoft.com/mse
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Thanks for the advice mate! Hope you are right xD
Thanks again and have a good day :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
To be true, I don't think, the problem is AVG. Because I tried to start my game without AVG on a virtual machine - Error messages incoming. Anyway, you should be redirected to here: '

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5207534633

And also, the German (yeah, I'm one of them) are encountering the same problem -> http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/forum/topic/5299360487?page=2#30
Edited by Faultier on 09/09/2012 14:21 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Hmm Ok, ignored the warning but all I get is this message: "An internal error occurred, please restart. If problems persist contact customer support."

...oh and btw where the repair tool has gone?...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
The RepairTool itself has been gone, it's now kind of embedded in the Launcher - whenever it encounters problems, there should be logs - i haven't got one though.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
09/09/2012 14:32Posted by Faultier
The RepairTool itself has been gone, it's now kind of embedded in the Launcher - whenever it encounters problems, there should be logs - i haven't got one though.

In my situation I can't start the launcher xD
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Yep, that's our problem too.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Ok it seems we need to start over.
I'm your client paying since 7 years. My problem is that I can't use the product that I am paying for. The above mentioned is the beginning of the story, even without any antivirus software I am getting THE SAME MASSAGE FROM THE LAUNCHER OF THE PRODUCT THAT I AM PAYING FOR. So, I need a solution of the problem or a term of time that points when my problem will be solved.

You have my contacts - cell phone, e-mail, etc...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You can always open a ticket from your account management or call the technical support. We can only make guesses here.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I have the exact same problem as Rekh and also too am using AVG, have it in the vault at the moment, not sure what to do :(
Reply Quote
I've encountered this problem as well!!!

Blizz!!

EDIT:
Fixed the problem for now... look further down for description
Edited by Vevlaa on 10/09/2012 23:28 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Bump for great justice.

I have this exact problem.
Reply Quote
HOW TO FIX THIS:
At least temporarily

Open AVGfree
Click tools, and select Advanced settings...
Find the Resident Shield tab, and enlarge it.
Click exceptions
Click Add Path
Browse to your WoW folder
Click OK

Run the game.
Edited by Vevlaa on 10/09/2012 23:35 BST
Reply Quote
ok so here is the link to thread i have made explaining what i have done with this situation, wish i had found this thread and/or the linked threads from faultier, but anyway, i have since moved my wow.exe. from my virus vault to an external drive, but it useless to me as i have uninstalled the game and cannot re-install the game, is it AVG causing me problems for installing a fresh client, or is it another issue, cos if it is AVG i can just remove it for the time being and start again with the download.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5299941067
Edited by Sozin on 10/09/2012 23:31 BST
Reply Quote
what vevlaa says is true if you still have the game installed and unlike me who decided to do a full uninstall/re-install:

*open AVG
*right click on the resident shield icon
*at the bottom uncheck the little box so it is inactive
*begin the wow install either from disc or from the digital download
*once download/install is complete open AVG again, and follow steps 2-7 as vevlaa has said
*play game as if nothing was ever wrong :)
Edited by Sozin on 11/09/2012 08:43 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]