WoW II?

90 Human Priest
7 years on and the game is still going strong. We've seen contenders for the title of best MMO come and go. Some of them were clones of Wow others had some unique ideas, none beat WoW's depth though.

I'm no expert on computers, but there must be a point where something you have wanted to add to the game has been limited by the technology that the game is built around. Whats your thoughts on making a second WoW to replace the current one. I realise as far as ideas go this is a bit extreme but it must have crossed some of your minds at some point even if only to dismiss the idea.

Do you think at some point in the future there will be a rewrite of WoW giving it a complete facelift or are there still plenty of options of changing the game with the software it has? Example: The water graphics, the interaction your character has with water textures still amazes me, personally I have yet to see anything close to that quality in any other game. This kind of came out of the blue, one minute we had generic water textures, the next we had something that flows with movement and adds a real level of detail to the game beautifully.

Don't get me wrong I am an avid fan of WoW and it would take something pretty amazing or drastic to make me stop playing for good but I would love to see what you guys are capable of once the gloves have been taken off.

After all the years of MMo's being released and magazines and forums being flooded with posts about this game or that being a WoW killer, I would love to see the roles reversed. 'Wow II, the killer of all games' ^^
Reply Quote
6 Blood Elf Rogue
If they did make a WoW II they could allow you to transfer your characters over like Bioware did with Mass Effect. That would be pretty cool.
Edited by Sephie on 10/09/2012 13:25 BST
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Hunter
If they make a WoW 2 I hope the graphics are awesome, like Guild Wars 2 awesome!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
they will not make a second wow , they stated it with announcement of project titan , that wow will be side game , will still be improved , but not on high prio

wow is already on side development , they stated the main core developers of blizzard are working on titan , new artists/developers , as in , newbies r handling wow atm , imho...PANDAAZ
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
10/09/2012 13:25Posted by Sephie
If they did make a WoW II they could allow you to transfer your characters over like Bioware did with Mass Effect. That would be pretty cool.

You're not thinking big enough.

Unless they support both games simultaneously and accept a smaller user base for both, they need to ensure the "WoW 1" player absolutely must move into the new game.

Best way to do this is to NOT make WoW 2. The aforementioned new game must be an evolution of WoW.

Blizzard have essentially cornered the fantasy MMO market with WoW. Repeated release of "big ticket" competitors have failed to even dent WoW's dominance. In foact all that they have done is to confirm my suspicion that the MMO playerbase is finite and reached critical mass with WoW. People may swap games from time to time, and the number of people leaving MMOs forever is about equal to the number of new players on a yearly basis and so the population os MMO players is steady.

WoW has the largest share by far and it's going to stay that way unless Blizzard f's it up - and that should not happen as long as they DON'T make WoW 2 and continue to make WoW the amazing experience it is.~

Signs are this is what Blizzard is doing - remember the revamp of character graphics is now a priority for them and this not something to be undertaken lightly unless you are planning is the long term.
Edited by Desdaemona on 10/09/2012 13:54 BST
Reply Quote
87 Orc Warlock
Just make Diablo4 a game like wow where you stear your char the same way, not from a chopper view. I was disappointed about Diablo3, 13 years and its still a C&C game.

Lets stear a char ingame, then I might be interested in WOW2.

Remember the days of Doom? Remember the other game called Heretic. Same gameplay but different story and mobs. Was awesome. Something like that.

But anyway I will continue to play wow for a long time. 7 years already in this game, its still my favorite game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My Idea of a WoW 2 would be revamped graphics, new mobs, new lands etc. I don't think you could make Wow into anything other than an MMO, and you wouldn't need to. No matter what you do to any MMO, no matter how novel the new mechanics or 'dynamic events' maybe at the end of the day it boils down to kill 20 of this or kill this big monster and the event/quest is complete, you get your reward, you get xp, you level up. I could probably rename this thread to "WoW Revamp?"

I have had my fair share of temptations from other MMO's, Lotro, Swtor, Conan. Out of those Lotro probably came closest to making me switch games, it was so a WoW clone. The appeal of it though was that it was new graphics, new places to go and new things to do and it was familiar. As usual, I got to max level and the game fizzled out and then...*dusts off Wow subscription*.

Personally I think a revamped 'Wow2' would inject...I was going to say new life but it doesnt really need to be a new game it just needs some spit and polish to give it an edge. A suitable analogy would be giving your car a respray, its exactly the same old car but it feels so much better and that new Thundercougar Fackenburg doesnt have so much appeal anymore.

It would also be a good opportunity to add things into the game that have been left out for now as they seem to much of a change or as I said before, the technology simply wouldnt allow it.

It is a shame they won't go down the road of a Wow 2.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I really hope they will do it some day, but if they do it, they won't do it sooner than 5 years, at least.

The idea is basically the same game, but with way better graphics, new features, new NPCs/Items etc etc. It would be cool, because the skeleton would be the same, but the rest would be new.
Edited by Nikeyeia on 10/09/2012 15:38 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
they will not make a second wow , they stated it with announcement of project titan , that wow will be side game , will still be improved , but not on high prio

wow is already on side development , they stated the main core developers of blizzard are working on titan , new artists/developers , as in , newbies r handling wow atm , imho...PANDAAZ

lol. I love people who state rumor as fact with no proof.
Reply Quote
Community
I really hope they will do it some day, but if they do it, they won't do it sooner than 5 years, at least.

The idea is basically the same game, but with way better graphics, new features, new NPCs/Items etc etc. It would be cool, because the skeleton would be the same, but the rest would be new.

But that doesn't sound like something that would require an entirely new game though, but of course that is just my personal opinion. As I see it, these things could just as well be upgrades to the current game through patches and expansions, much like what we have seen already in the game's evolution from its release until today.

I think something more would be required in order to rationalise the end of WoW in favour of WoW II :-)
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Apologies if this has already been said, but:

The reason WoW is the way it is, ie - Graphics, Textures, Animation, Modelling, Physics etc etc, is so that it reaches the widest audience possible.

How many times in the past, have you seen a great new game advertised, all shiny, realistic and oozing with tech, and then read the back of the box, only to realize that your gonna have to sell a family member, in order to upgrade your PC with a new Nvidea or new processor?

By keeping to its "Toony" effects, it allows anyone and everyone, with a standard PC and connection to access it and play. All those people running the game on Laptops, Notebooks, 10yr old PCs and so on, will always be able to play, no matter where they are. Thats one of the main attractions of the game.

Coming from a gaming background, where I was always looking for the next best thing in Graphics with games such as - Max Payne, Fear, Oblivion, CoD, Crysis, Skyrim, Assasins Creed etc etc, I was never drawn to World of Warcraft. I remember a friend of mine showing me a Fraps video of his hunter back in about 2005, and I thought, christ, that looks awful! Only after I bit the bullet, and took the 14 day free trial, did the whole idea of the game dawn on me...and I've never looked back.

If WoW II were to become a reality sometime in the distant future, they would need to keep the same ethos, or risk losing a major chunk of their player-base.

Indeed, over the years, it has become shinier, prettier, with better animations and such, but it still retains its play-a-bility, which in the end, is its true purpose.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
well Imo lvl from 1 - 100 will proboly be pain, i think Blizz will alredy loose newcommers to the long level i mean common 1-90 and then you start to learn the game and get the hang of raiding..

I belive there will be some staying ofc, but many newcommers will think it's to big a gap to lvl since they have not played it from start and they are not familiar with the game so if Blizz are considering future expansion and this one i truly hope they also consider faster lvl options..

between 1 - 85 so players will stay, i mean you are new and the first toon looks fun but at lvl 65 you don't find it so fun anymore and it's alredy taken you several days to get there.

I dunno maybe all should start at lvl 45 or something if there is a patch after MOP??

Leveling can be fun and relaxing but when you just wanna get to max lvl asap and start getting gear for raid etc.. then well you get tired pretty fast..
Reply Quote
6 Blood Elf Rogue
Levelling is already pretty fast and easy with dungeon finder if all you want to do is reach level cap. With "Refer a Friend" it is apparently 3 times faster, from what I have heard.
Edited by Sephie on 10/09/2012 20:19 BST
Reply Quote
49 Gnome Priest

I think something more would be required in order to rationalise the end of WoW in favour of WoW II :-)

We really need more than 2 big factions in the game.

Too much races are forgotten because of this (the Draeneï, the Night elves who are no longer the savage elves we've met in WIII but purple High elves, the worgens...).

4 playable factions :

- blood elves/forsaken/
- human/dwarf/gnome/high elf
- orc/tauren/troll/goblin
- night elf/worgen

Which can't be added in the current game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
yeah to update and/ or replace the engine is a no brainer the only problem would be if blizz would lizens and use a allready existend engine like ut4, cry, usw. because of the deep reaching modification's (so that allready used scripts are working for exemple) form the lizense standpoint (much money).
as long there a updates i am fine with it.
(note that the main goal of a game is to be played form as much players as posible, that implies also on lets say smaller configs of pc /mac hardware)

if there are errors in grammer keep in mind that english is not my native.
Edited by Igzorn on 10/09/2012 17:03 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

But that doesn't sound like something that would require an entirely new game though, but of course that is just my personal opinion. As I see it, these things could just as well be upgrades to the current game through patches and expansions, much like what we have seen already in the game's evolution from its release until today.

The changes to the world in cataclysm was an example of how you don't need a WoW II to do such things.

However, the one big benefit I can see from a WoW II is a change to factions, or even a third faction. Given the idea of factions and gameplay, it wouldn't be possible to have the Forsaken pull out of the Horde, or for the Blood Elves to resume their previous alliance with Humans in the current WoW.

That's the only problem with the continuity in WoW, we're being set to specific playable race alliances that won't change. WoW II would be a chance to give a change in alliances and pacts between races.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
There has already been a WoW II. It was the Burning Crusade. WoW III was Wrath of the Lich King, WoW IV was Cataclysm... can you guess what WoW V will be yet? :-)

Seriously, there has been an awful lot more evolution between each WoW game than most games and their sequels (I'm looking at you, FIFA). It's only the fact that you can play the same characters between 'sequels' that is different to most game titles.

It's the fact that WoW continues to evolve, entertain and retain a sufficient critical mass number of subscribers that means it's still here into its fifth iteration and (hopefully) beyond.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
10/09/2012 16:20Posted by Vaneras

10/09/2012 13:51Posted by Desdaemona
The aforementioned new game must be an evolution of WoW.

Kind of crossed wires there a bit, what I'm thinking of is an evolution more than a replacement. A new Wow would suggest players had to start from scratch, but I am thinking more along the lines of you get to keep your chars but the rest of the game changes and updates, I don't mean changes in talents/abilities etc, I'm perfectly happy each expansion to get used to the new stuff and changing stuff like that now or in another game equates to the same thing. The changes I mean are in the graphics engines, I don't know if the game is structured to allow any graphics changes but some older games I've played in the past were restricted with what they can change because of the artwork thats used in their current engines.

10/09/2012 16:20Posted by Vaneras
As I see it, these things could just as well be upgrades to the current game through patches and expansions

Nuff said, this kind of quoshes the thread, Wow 2 or a revamped graphics engine for the current game, I would welcome either tbh. The only questions that remains are..
are you likely to upgrade the current content to a more up to date look? Better looking trees/foliage, different textures etc.
If you release a new expansion with highly updated graphics, would you leave things as they are or would you back track and revamp the rest of the game to match? Wouldn't it feel weird to go from one look to another and possibly cause the game to lose some continuity?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Blizzard I challenge you :

-Make a MMO where we keep paying our subs because of pure fun playing the game, and not because of a carefully-tuned RNG / Loot / Reward / Farming system.

-Make a MMO where combat is not the centerpoint of the game, just one of the many aspects of it.

-Make a MMO where tank / healer / DPS difference isn't needed. Where aggro isn't needed because the warrior can physically place himself between the enemy and the mage, or where a claw swipe from a huge dragon sends him flying across the room.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm really hoping Titan will be set in the Warcraft universe.

Why would one of the artists on the Titan team be drawing updated tauren models? Hmmm...
Edited by Fláshlight on 10/09/2012 17:19 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]