Real Money Auction House

85 Human Mage
BSC
Hey there!

I'm not creating this topic to start a discussion, but to find out if there are any future plans on making an RMAH. Just like in Diablo.

The RMAH seems to be extremely successful on D3, so are there any implementation plans for WoW? Personally not sure if I'd like to see it happen tho.

Regards!
Edited by Scallian on 24/09/2012 17:56 BST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
D3 and WoW are completely different games, so adding a RMAH to WoW wouldn't be a good idea for a number of reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Wont somebody please think of the chinese children! dont make this happen!!! /cry
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
24/09/2012 18:01Posted by Leeroy
Wont somebody please think of the chinese children! dont make this happen!!! /cry

:(
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Death Knight
Probably at the point blizz decide to drop all pre-tense and flat out admit they are milking WoW for all its worth.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Letting people pay real money for equipment and such would be unfair to those who don't have a bigger budget. A monthly subscription makes it equal for everyone, all can get the same gear.
Edited by Tahto on 24/09/2012 18:46 BST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'd quit if this was implemented into wow, the game would have nothing to do with skill anymore, you could pretty much gear your character without doing anything in game except visiting an ah.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
24/09/2012 17:55Posted by Scallian
I'm not creating this topic to start a discussion, but to find out if there are any future plans on making an RMAH. Just like in Diablo.

Any posts on this topic will start a discussion, and if a RMAH comes in I'm probably going to quit.

Even if it's only applied to the Black Market AH.
Edited by Dottie on 24/09/2012 19:19 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I would love to see a real money AH. Things already sell for real money privately and on Ebay anyway!

The main benefit is that it eliminates leeches such as gold sellers.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I hope not! To me it felt like RMAH kind of ruined DIII. The good items became so costly (for gold) it wasnt fun and they almost never dropped when you played. Kind of forced you into buying your gear from RMAH. I stopped playing when I realized that.
Edited by Ugricthexii on 24/09/2012 20:10 BST
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Gnome Priest
Tom Chilton commented on it some time ago....well, ages ago actually:

Q: With Diablo 3, Blizzard has decided to combat third-party goldfarming sites by introducing a cash-based player-driven auction house. Is that something that could function in this game?

TC:
I think it would be very difficult to make it work in WoW. Because our item-model is so different. Like Jay [Wilson, game director of Diablo 3] mentioned in the interview, Diablo is very much about trading and that's why everything that drops in the game is not bound to that character, where as with WoW it's much more about the accomplishment of having beaten the content and then getting the items that are soulbound.

So right off the bat that sort of eliminates the possibility of using it the same way that Diablo 3 will. It's always possible to extend it in other ways, for example we could theoretically allow players to sell their characters. Although it's not something we currently plan to do, so that's just, like, a theoretical possibility of how it could be used! So it would definitely be different [to Diablo 3].

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/wow/news/what_next_for_world_of_warcraft.html

Personally, I don't think we'll see anything like the Diablo III RMAH, simply because the item structure is very different in WoW. But I do think Blizzard will eventually expand on the idea of buying pets, mounts, and other vanity items, from the online store, either with money, or perhaps with in-game currency as well. That whole notion of an optional "marketplace" seems to be something most MMOs move toward (GW2 has it, EvE has it, all SoE games have it, etc. etc.).
Reply Quote
10 Human Hunter
Hey there!

The RMAH seems to be extremely successful on D3, so are there any implementation plans for WoW? Personally not sure if I'd like to see it happen tho.

Regards!

We got the Blizzard store for that
Reply Quote
60 Undead Rogue
I hope not.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
That is all.
Actually.
No.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Three words: PAY. TO. WIN.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
NO NO NO NO NO!!!! the spamming bots are already out of control!!
Reply Quote
I would love to see a RMAH! I find the ecconomy of wow very interesting, although I suck at making gold on the AH :) It would add more depth to the game in my opinion.

I don't think that the argument pay to win is valid. For example Magic the gathering is a game were you pay for your cards, still if you don't know how to use your cards you will lose even if you bought all the expensive ones. So I think it is more about leaving room for player skill in the game and making all the gear that you can buy for real money available in the game itself.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
BSC
I wasn't exactly wondering if you guys want to see it or not. More on the fact what Blizzard's official plans are on it. :-)

for example we could theoretically allow players to sell their characters

You've got to be kidding me..
Edited by Scallian on 24/09/2012 22:47 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]