Mote of Harmony?! What?!!?

90 Human Warrior
At first I wanted to make a new thread, but it fits in here nicely:

Mote of Harmony drop rates

Is something wrong with it? It doesn't feel adequate to harmonize with how the game evolves. I leveled this warrior to 90 with quests, only used one Spirit of Harmony for a blacksmithing plan I needed to skill up to 600. I have started Klaxxi dailies, for 3 or 4 days now. I have 6.4 SoH so far. Today doing all Klaxxi dailies, not a single Mote dropped. I bought plans for some nice weapons that would make the daily rep questing somewhat more pleasant, but I can't really afford the stuff. The other mats are no problem, but somehow the Mote drops are scarce. At first it seemed like the drop chance is significantly higher in level 89-90 zones, but now I'm not so sure.
SoH right now is a limiting factor, especially since Blizzard didn't do it right in the beginning and didn't make SoH account bound. (They even said they might consider that in a later patch. So they consciously decided to do it the sucky way first to ruin a fun MoP crafting startup and fix it later when it's too late anyway.) I cringe about the Motes that drop for my alts that have no real use for them with their professions while the char I need them dearly doesn't have enough. This is a stupid measure to force people to grind with chars they don't want to. I earned those motes, I've been "out in the world" as Blizzard said they wanted it, but what's the point? Maybe THE most useful and essential loot is soulbound.
I feel like all the questing I did was pointless. What's the reward? I'm a level 90 warrior with blacksmithing at 600 and I can't make the good stuff and can't even buy the mats. This encourages even more than has already been to just gear up by queuing for random dungeons. Why go through all the hassle of crafting when after all the time spent an LFD king can show off his completely superior gear? ... And who would buy crafted weapons?!
Spirit of Harmony made crafting professions even worse than they were before.
BTW the low quality crafted gear is only good for raising fresh 85er chars' item level to MoP LFD level. But this still competes with the flood of random drops.
Variety is better in dungeons, too. I want some ilvl 463 2h-swords to fit my transmog, but the Klaxxi can't help me with that in any way. They'e not really good blacksmiths. They can only do certain things and only have plans for an axe to offer if I haven't done the grind to exalted yet. And then it's still not blacksmithing, because then they sell a sword for gold. This doesn't feel like blacksmithing at all, but like scavenging or servitude.

Due to an alchemist alt (Living Steel) I will soon be able to forge epic armor. Well, maybe - depends on when I get the 8 SoH together. And then, with barely having all the mats to craft my very first epic chest armor ... do I choose the offspec for questing or the defspec for tanking? I guess defspec would be frustrating when the RNG in the dungeon decides to give me a tanking chest armor. Also, the Klaxxi can only teach me to make epic chest and gloves, nothing else.
So, in essence, it feels to me like the 'risk' of using mats, especially SoH, is too high right now.
Most useful professions in my view: enchanting, jewelcrafting, alchemy (transmutation).
Edited by Chromeson on 04/10/2012 05:23 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Another thing I'd like to comment on is cooldown crafting in relation to SoH. There are several cases, but let's take Imperial Silk as an example. It takes you 12(!) days to craft a single Royal Satchel. Very likely for yourself, not even thinking about selling it. After all, bag space is very useful and desirable, especially with all the 'toys' we get.
So if you want to speed it up and make more than 1 silk a day, you need 3 SoH for each Song of Harmony. Imagine that: to make more than 1 silk a day, for each additional silk you have to get (farm) 30 Mote of Harmony. Roughly estimating (including wowhead statistics) that it takes 10 mobs to get one mote, you have to kill 300 mobs for an additional silk a day. This can occupy you a whole day. So Song of Harmony seems to be designed merely as a means of getting rid of excess SoH. Imagine that - excess SoH. Hilarious.
Reply Quote
85 Human Rogue
This is a good thing. I really do quite like it.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
I see no problem with MoH being account bound, or increasing the droprate slightly for higher level mobs. The idea behind it though is to get people out into the world rather than completeing the game by sitting in Org and drooling on the AH/Dungeon Finders.
Edited by Jakeje on 04/10/2012 22:06 BST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Another thing I'd like to comment on is cooldown crafting in relation to SoH. There are several cases, but let's take Imperial Silk as an example. It takes you 12(!) days to craft a single Royal Satchel. Very likely for yourself, not even thinking about selling it. After all, bag space is very useful and desirable, especially with all the 'toys' we get.
So if you want to speed it up and make more than 1 silk a day, you need 3 SoH for each Song of Harmony. Imagine that: to make more than 1 silk a day, for each additional silk you have to get (farm) 30 Mote of Harmony. Roughly estimating (including wowhead statistics) that it takes 10 mobs to get one mote, you have to kill 300 mobs for an additional silk a day. This can occupy you a whole day. So Song of Harmony seems to be designed merely as a means of getting rid of excess SoH. Imagine that - excess SoH. Hilarious.

Im having a hard time seeing the problem in actually having to put down some "effort", to gain some rewards. Also this char have been 90 for less then a week and i've gain 12 SoH, by doing 25 ish dailys a day and a few dungeons. Any less effort then that and they can remove it all together.

Also they aren't exaclty worthless on other chars if you think about the possibility of buying other mats like Golden Lotus.

Also on the Imperial Silk point of yours, bravo, clever use of fearmongering. Lets say instead of farming you do as me, an 25 ish dailys, party up with someone to make it goes even faster and you get 5 motes each day. Then you have your farm with 16 patches witch you grow motes, thats 21 motes each day, by doing more or less nothing. 1 week of this and you'll have 14 SoH or 11 Imperial silk (7 from the normal and 4 from the SoH), making it even faster to make the best bags now then it was in cata.
Edited by Aldè on 05/10/2012 05:07 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
If you call that fearmongering, you don't know what fear is.

And yeah, I've figured out now that I can grow MoH on a farm. I just need to get Revered with Tillers. Will only take a few weeks of doing their dailies.

What I'm saying is that a profession like blacksmithing does only not suffer under SoH shortage if it's your main/only char that you are active with all day, but then, lacking alt chars, other mats might be out of reach. (Current AH price for Living Steel is 2000 gold.)

I admit, my warrior is a worst-case scenario. I have tanking and dd gear and my dd gear is fury, so if I craft 2 2-handers, I will need more mats.

Judging by some more questing experience, it now seems the drop chance of MoH from regular level 90 mobs is more like 5%. After I got no MoH from yesterday's Klaxxi dailies, today one dropped.

I'm not complaining about this being a factor for slowing down game progress, but that it makes some professions look useless. I mean, I could have totally ignored the Klaxxi, just leveling with LFD, would have nearly zero MoH and be in fully rare gear. But here I am, trying to figure out which will be the first item I craft with SoH, while people all around me are running around in ilvl 463 gear.
(It's not a new problem though. The last time gear crafting really looked useful was in Classic WoW.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Either the drop chance has been increased with the latest server shutdown, or the RNG fluctuates in timespans of days. Yesterday I killed a bunch of low-hp monkeys in one go and 3 motes dropped, and during my Klaxxi dailies, I got several, too.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Retarded...

Ye, make this rare !@#$%es a currency for starterarmor... When we farmed enough motes to buy the whole pvp set, its already outdated by 2 seasons....

I dont want to make PVP gear to be forced to PVE....

Then do what everyone else has done who can't create the PvP set and buy it. Simple.
If you can't afford to buy the PvP set then go grind stuff to get the gold, that way you'll obtain gold and the MoH. If you don't want to do that, stop complaining that you want everything for free.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Seriously? Do dailies. They have always some random "spawn" of where the mobs drop the motes, but just like yesterday i looted about 17 motes, not counting in my farmville at Halfhill!

If you do all the dailies you can do, check which one of the daily-kill mobbs drops the motes the most. Continue killing them. I really don't see why ppl are qqing about this. + You can also plan Songbell Seeds to get motes. You don't pick up 5 at a time like you do with the cooking ingredients. But if you have all the 16 farm slots available at your famr you get 16 motes a day from only planting a seed that costs 90 silver! Look at your options before complaining about this. Theyre hard to find idd, but it should really be worth it. They made MoP harder then Cata 'cause the game isn't suppose to be a faceroll anymore, never intended to! They majorly failed on that in Cata, now Blizz is trying to fix it again.
Edited by Kimineko on 25/10/2012 13:51 BST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Motes of Harmony are a personal hell of mine. Normally, I play around 2-2.5 hours per night. My average drop is 4-5 motes in those hours. That's while doing 2-3 heroics, and the daily Lotus quests, plus randoms I kill while mining. Which means that making anything as an engineer is a nightmare. Since the expansion started, I got barelly enough to make 3 scopes and a helment. I'm stockpilling to make my rocket, but at the cost of not making anything else!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
dw they're easy to farm

jk

I farm them with a 100% drop rate.

Not sure what people are whining about. I have 39 Spirits of Harmony on this monk.
Edited by Nymíra on 25/10/2012 15:53 BST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Not sure what people are whining about. I have 39 Spirits of Harmony on this monk.

Well 100% drop rate is a bit exaggerated. If you do have 100% drop rate there is some sort of character bug.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
dw they're easy to farm

jk

How the hell do you get that?!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage

How the hell do you get that?!

He's referring to the Tillers farm where you can get 1.6 Spirit of Harmony per day (16 motes) - so over a 25 day period you'd get 39 in total.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
25/10/2012 13:51Posted by Kimineko
Seriously? Do dailies. They have always some random "spawn" of where the mobs drop the motes, but just like yesterday i looted about 17 motes, not counting in my farmville at Halfhill!

No I'm not talking about the 16 motes you can get from your farm.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
27/10/2012 09:14Posted by Kimineko

No I'm not talking about the 16 motes you can get from your farm.

You weren't but the guy talking about 100% drop rate likely was.

or he/she is just over exaggerating to make themselves seem cool
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
tbh the biggest fail of MoP so far is that blizzard made the stupid misstake again

the spirit of harmony should be a boe or boa we have seen with frost orbs and chaos orb that both of those became boe after some time

now even worse, i had 2 stack of spirits of harmony on my warlock, and i could not use them in enchanting and my off proff was herbing, at the sametime my rogue and shaman both lvl 85 had max inscription and alchy becaus i got so meny herbs on my lock main, now come the prob i can use the spirit of harmony on those chars to help make !@#$ for my main(epic boa staff from inscription, livingsteel ect) but no, basicly blizzard is forcing me to play more %^-* on alt that i dont enjoy playing on now nor have time for now, so yes thnx blizzard good going, it seems ya did not learn !@#$ from wrath and cata, that bop crafting matts are the most stupides idea
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

You will likely kill 100~ mobs just doing dailies, and those take under 2 hours. If you farm mobs straight you can easily kill in the right places over 500 mobs/hour (thinking dread wastes), but any mob with fast enough respawns most people will achieve 300+.

50 motes, not including chances from rare if you go for them, spirits in bags of the vale, for 1 hours work.

Overtime, spirits will become more and more of an excess to most. They have been excessively stacking for me since the first week, as I got everything out of the way fast. I then used them to get cooking up really easily and get me a flippable table.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
They not only drop from mobs, but from gathering and you can plant seeds on your farm that will yield one mote. The seeds are 90s each and with a full 16 plot farm that is over 1.6 spirit a day. I have also found quite a few in sealed crates while fishing. That being said, it is annoying that they are BoP. I'd settle for BoA.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]