Gold cap on server transfer - Will it be increased?

So i recently faction and server changed on my level 90 and was surprised to see the goldcap on a transfer/faction change is still 50k, now 50k really isn't much especially for a level 90, are there any plans to increase this cap? Seems kind of pointless to have the cap to begin with, i'm not sure why it matters if gold farmers/sellers can move gold from one server to another.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Kind of bothered me too when I transfered. The only thing you can do at this point is check the AH on both servers and buy stuff you can resell easily and/or for a lot on the other realm.
Reply Quote
Yeah that's what i had to do, thankfully i was only 10k over the limit, for those that have gold cap it's not quite that easy, they would most likely lose a ton of gold.

It's been raised every expansion so it should also be raised for MoP.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well, it is now possible to transfer large amounts of gold cross faction and cross-realm. Simply buy lots of caged battle pets on the server you want to transfer from. Learn them. Log onto the character you want to transfer it to. The learn pets will be in your journal. Cage them. Sell them. Et voila.
Reply Quote
Possible to lose money reselling stuff thought right?
Reply Quote
Tip wud be to most likely buy the Jc panthers to resell doubt it wud be much diffrence in price?
Reply Quote
Ofcourse there are ways around it, but it still needs to be raised for MoP
Reply Quote
77 Human Mage
I couldn't agree more. I recently transfered realms on a level 85 before MoP hit and I was shocked that I could only take a small amount of my gold with me.

It seems Blizzard wants us to pay for a whole guild transfer or lots of characters. :/
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Agreed
Reply Quote
86 Undead Warrior
Yeah its kind of a joke...
Reply Quote
Community
There are no plans to change the 50k gold cap. The percentage of players that has over 50k gold is incredibly small.
Remember that you can always use the market to buy items so you can still remain below the gold cap when transferring, basically “transforming” gold into something that you can carry along in your inventory to another realm and effectively get your gold back (with some luck, even with profit) by selling the items on the destination realm; we think that this is actually healthy for the in-game economies.
Edited by Taepsilum on 22/10/2012 16:36 BST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
The percentage of players that has over 50k gold is incredibly small.

While I have about 65K gold across all chars myself, I highly doubt that. Proof ? The insane number of items that sell for 40K or more, the enormous price of JC mounts etc...
Reply Quote
79 Night Elf Druid
22/10/2012 16:35Posted by Taepsilum
There are no plans to change the 50k gold cap. The percentage of players that has over 50k gold is incredibly small.

Explain to me then how every day players are supposed to afford the 85k for the darkmoon decks due to their construction being so exspensive. Why are you pushing vanity items, like mounts and pets, out of our hands with extortionate gold sinks such as the JC vendored crafting material.

I get that these are attempts to remove some of the gold from the economy, but these steps should of been taken before when the inflation was rampant, i.e the jc/enchanting shuffle in cata.

As for the ammount of players over 50k gold being an incredibly small portion, im sure that's correct if you're counting the people that just log on to do dailies or pvp and nothing else.

Those people that are active in the economy, the ones that control the supply and thus prices of items are the ones that directly influence gameplay for other players. 50k is a drop in a very big pond for them.
Reply Quote
89 Human Hunter
Remember that you can always use the market to buy items so you can still remain below the gold cap when transferring, basically “transforming” gold into something that you can carry along in your inventory to another realm and effectively get your gold back (with some luck, even with profit) by selling the items on the destination realm; we think that this is actually healthy for the in-game economies.

Is this so?

How come you replace peoples items that they bought before migrating to sell on a new realm with gold?

Is this only healthy for in-game economies, sometimes? perhaps only when it pleases you?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior

thought this is what was used to be called exploitation of the market and frowned upon back in the day? :p
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
22/10/2012 17:13Posted by Höntard
How come you replace peoples items that they bought before migrating to sell on a new realm with gold?

What do you mean by this? Blizzard doesn't give you any gold when migrating. What Taepsilum meant was that you can buy items to reduce your gold to 50K, bring them over with you to the new realm (as there's no hard cap on the number of items you can take, save your bagspace) and sell them back to get your gold to where it was before. You can even make some profit - lots of it, if you're good - by doing this, too.

22/10/2012 17:12Posted by Hotwot
Explain to me then how every day players are supposed to afford the 85k for the darkmoon decks due to their construction being so exspensive. Why are you pushing vanity items, like mounts and pets, out of our hands with extortionate gold sinks such as the JC vendored crafting material.

That's sort of the point of what you mention, though. The very reason that these things cost so much is so that the few people who have lots of gold can have a reduced gold pool. If everyone had a high amount of gold, there wouldn't be as much of a need for a gold sink.

You should bear in mind that just because something is hugely expensive, doesn't mean Blizzard expects everyone to afford it. There's no point in price tags if everyone can afford everything!
Reply Quote
79 Night Elf Druid

That's sort of the point of what you mention, though. The very reason that these things cost so much is so that the few people who have lots of gold can have a reduced gold pool.

The problem with that statement and Blizzards intention there is, 20k is nothing to these people, all it does is artificially increase the cost of the item on the back end. 20k is a very small percentage to a lot of key players and they just get it back with interest when it comes to selling the mount. It doesn't remove gold from the rich players, it removes it from the poor.

It's average joe who has to bust a nut grinding and farming, since the ah is so saturated with junk these days and thus selling any crafting materials is tedius and laborious, to make a pittance to buy something that has been made stupidly expensive with the intention of removing gold from those with lots of it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Would be much more interesting if you could talk about how much the people that ACTUALLY pay for the transfer take with them, instead of including the casual players with no gold that would never pay for a transfer anyway. It's a real hassle logging onto your destination realm, checking the price of stuff and then trying to figure out where you will lose the least amount of money. Don't kid yourself, turning a profit on selling stuff requires an effort (especially if you come from a low pop realm), which in turn is time spent you could have done something else that might also have granted your gold. I get you want to limit gold sellers mobilitily, but when a large amount of real players get punished as a result it makes you wonder if there really isn't any other solutions.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]