find someone's alts, how to ?

1 Night Elf Rogue
Hi, i have a kinda burning question:

can i found someone's alts (names) ?
and if yes, then, how ?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
There are various third party sites that may help you.

Keep in mind the policies regarding harassment before you seek them out.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
interesting, i asked EXACTLY be cause i found my alts on a third party site

so, the actual question is:

WHAT CAN I DO SO MY ALTS DON'T SHOW UP ANYWHERE ?
Edited by Ninjainside on 10/10/2012 16:48 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Fiskerdin is aiming at downloading addons, addons are indeed third party softwares that enhance your gameplay and many more things!

in the case you just mentioned before i posted. I wouldn't know how to do this, i don't think its even possible ;o
Edited by Hersak on 10/10/2012 16:48 BST
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
ANG
Ninja, they go by achievment points and battle pets since both are account wide. It's pretty disgusting and Blizzard ought to do something about this, especially with the pets as personally I don't want everyone to be able to find all my chars. It's creepy and gives some nasty people the option to constantly stalk and harass you because a great many simply want take an "no I don't want to associate with you" for an answer.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
addons MUST respect Blizzard policy, no, not willingly, but by enforcing it with limits in interface
in other words, if my privacy is violated, it is not some site or some addon's fault but Blizzard's who give them the tools to do it

SO ! this your only argument ? blame on everything and everyone except the one responsible ?

LE seems like this thread just turned in a petition to Blizzard for players personal privacy, isn't it ? :(

and REALLY, I DON'T WANT PPL TO KNOW MY ALL ALTS ... REALLY !!!!
Edited by Ninjainside on 10/10/2012 16:55 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
addons MUST respect Blizzard policy, not, not willingly, but by enforcing it with limits in interface
in other words, if my privacy is violated, it is not some site or some addon's fault but Blizzard's who allow them

SO ! this your only argument ? blame on everything and everyone except the one responsible ?

As mentioned before they are third part software and stuff, this means it's not Blizzard's task to control these, if you download any Addon's you are willing to take (accept) the risk that it might be leached or contains any ''bad'' content.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914

might be in handy for you aswell.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
DND
Websites such as guildox track your alts by way of achievement points, so to stop them having your alts listed you need to go into you interface options on your character and select the 'display only character achievements to others' in the display section.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Pandaren Shaman
10/10/2012 16:47Posted by Hersak
Fiskerdin is aiming at downloading addons

No, he really isn't. By third party sites he means websites that track character movement by analysing the armory data.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
addons MUST respect Blizzard policy, not, not willingly, but by enforcing it with limits in interface
in other words, if my privacy is violated, it is not some site or some addon's fault but Blizzard's who allow them

As mentioned before they are third part software and stuff, this means it's not Blizzard's task to control these, if you download any Addon's you are willing to take (accept) the risk that it might be leached or contains any ''bad'' content.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914

might be in handy for you aswell.

REALLY ?!? are YOU for real ?!? maybe you didn't read what i just posted

IS BLIZZARD JOB TO CONTROL WHAT ADD-ONS ARE PERMITED TO DO !

to some points they already doing that, for example an add-on cannot install a virus in your computer, and it cannot do that be cause addons interface controlled ONLY by Blizzard don't allow it do it !
so you think AND SAY that my privacy is not something that should be limited by addons interface ?
Edited by Ninjainside on 10/10/2012 17:12 BST
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
Fiskerdin is aiming at downloading addons

No, he really isn't. By third party sites he means websites that track character movement by analysing the armory data.

i don't know exactly how can that be done but i'm pretty sure that can be blocked (armory), and i (personally) would go all the way to something like account management option where i decide what character show up in armory and which NOT
Edited by Ninjainside on 10/10/2012 17:03 BST
Reply Quote
There is an addon for web browsers that allows you to see alts that have posted to these forums. e.g. If I have posted on Dora, and on XXXXXXX you can see both, but not alts I have not posted with.

You can check achievements, but these can be hidden in an interface option.

You can also check battle pets, this is probably how it is done, as you cannot hide them on the armoury, and people can name them. So if you name your mouse battlepet Godzilla, then all your alts get that name, and it is very easy to datamine the armoury to see who has Godzilla as mouse battle pets.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
me for example, i only did a little bit on pet battle on beta
and absolutely nothing on live, not even starting quest (yet)

but also wowprogress.com (where i saw this in the first place) don't have all my alts ... yet

i really think this should be fixed be cause this is really horrible :(
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
ANG
10/10/2012 16:57Posted by Lisanna
Websites such as guildox track your alts by way of achievement points, so to stop them having your alts listed you need to go into you interface options on your character and select the 'display only character achievements to others' in the display section.

Doesn't matter a bit if you at any point ever used the pet battle system as they can track that aswell.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
DND
10/10/2012 17:30Posted by Erìs

Doesn't matter a bit if you at any point ever used the pet battle system as they can track that aswell.

I am aware of that, however not everyone uses pet battles, and achievement point tracking is still a method used by various sites, so it may as well be pointed out.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Rogue
i just checked out guildox, alts listed there are pure fiction
but wowprogress really got them right, on me and on a friend of mine (i know all he's alts)
Reply Quote
6 Blood Elf Rogue
i just checked out guildox, alts listed there are pure fiction
but wowprogress really got them right, on me and on a friend of mine (i know all he's alts)

That website says all you have to do is turn off shared achievements in your character options.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]