Power Levelling Pets

90 Night Elf Hunter
I thought I'd post a mini-guide about how to best go about power levelling your pets!

First lets start with levelling 3 pets. The crucial thing here is to maximize the XP you gain. The easiest way to do this is to battle pets that are 2-3 levels higher. Any higher and you are probably going to risk getting killed and you will need to heal/resurrect pets too often.

Another thing to bear in mind is to pick your battles if possible - try to find an area where the pets have a weakness against one or more of your pets. This means quicker kills and less damage taken. This might help squeeze that extra pet battle in before using your healing ability!

Finally lets consider levelling low-mid level pets. With the exception of wild pets, many of you will find yourself faced with a mind-boggling grind to get your favourite companions up to a high level. But fear not there is something you can do to help!

Choose whichever pet you want to level and then put it in your party along with 2 high level pets. Now you simply go and battle pets at the level of your higher level pets! Obviously it is best to start with the low level pet as swapping them in will result in extra damage with the lost round. To get that little bit extra experience you should choose your battle, as I said before, and try to only use 1 of your high level pets to win the battle. This means the XP is split over less pets, giving your low level pet more XP! Also another tip is if your ability to swap pets is removed, it may be best to forfeit the battle. By doing this you cut your losses and avoid having to resurrect or heal your pets.

If you are saavy about which high level pet you use, you will hopefully have no problem with the 8 minute CD on Revive Battle Pets. However when the unthinkable happens and your high level pet dies whilst you are still on CD, it is not necessarily the end of the world. Remember you have 3 pet slots! Just switch to your other high level pet until the CD is over. Simple.

Bear in mind if the pet is level 1 and you choose to battle a level 24 pet you will probably get one-shotted. You may need to pick slightly lower level battles until your pet is level 5 or so.

Some of you may wonder about power levelling more than one low level pet. This can be done as long as your high level pets strengths are played to. This could be the damage bonus added by pet weaknesses or a healing ability, it doesn't matter. What is crucially important here is that you have a very strong high level pet as you will not have that back-up pet should things not go your way. One thing you will notice is that by having two level pets your overall XP for each individual pet will be less due to the split. Personally I prefer maximizing the XP gains and focusing on a single pet but the option to do two is there.

That's all the advice I have! In the end of the day it comes down to maximizing your XP gains by any means possible and working around your 8 min CD for resurrecting pets. Quite simple really.

Hopefully some of you will find this guide useful and informative. Feel free to ask questions or give any extra tips you may have!
Reply Quote
1 Undead Warrior
The only issue I have is that having 3 pets at level 13, it seems so slow to level, as for a win my pet gets around 200 xp so it's like 5 wins to level up, and thats just using the one pet, so this guide is useful but only for people with high level pets already.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
13/10/2012 14:32Posted by Oolko
this guide is useful but only for people with high level pets already.

Well that's why I put the bit in about battling pets 2-3 levels higher which works for pets of any level. It might be common sense to some but not to others!

There is no other trick I know of to get more XP for your first set of pets unfortunatly.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
You can force all the XP from a battle onto your lower level pet if you let your high pet get them last of the other team to low health, then pass till it dies, swap in lowbie and let it kill.

Requires to be near a stable master cause you keep killing high level pets of course, but Halfhill works nicely for this. 22-23 pets everywhere and a stable master in the middle.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is what I personally did, it's kind of similar:

1. Get a Magical Crawdad to 25
2. Pick said pet you want to level, perhaps level to 4 - 5
3. Go to Twilight Highlands or any other area with 23 mobs, use said pet for 1 round
4. Switch to Magical Crawdad and destroy

The 'Wish' ability combined with Renewing Mists means you don't have to worry about going back for heals, the big hits the pet you're trying to level will be insta healed with the fast rate of dinging and it's fast.

It's also vital that if you get a spider, you switch it asap to Magical Crawdad, else as stated in the OPs post, you'll get webbed and then you're screwed. Other than that, this is an insanely fast way to level!
Reply Quote
This is what I personally did, it's kind of similar:

1. Get a Magical Crawdad to 25
2. Pick said pet you want to level, perhaps level to 4 - 5
3. Go to Twilight Highlands or any other area with 23 mobs, use said pet for 1 round
4. Switch to Magical Crawdad and destroy

I do exactly this, but exchange Crawdad to Ony Whelp and I do it in Pandaland for 23+ level fights.

Start with your leveling pet, switch it on the very 1st go, kill with 25 level 25, get 500+ xp for low level 1. Simples
Reply Quote
13/10/2012 14:32Posted by Oolko
The only issue I have is that having 3 pets at level 13,

What I have just learned is, don't level your current pets till you have high level pets.

If you have 3 pets at level 13, go to an area with level 15 pets. Pick fights, and if you are not facing a rare, abandon it. Once you find a rare tame it, repeat for another 2-3 rares, then you will have 3 at level 15. Move up to a level 17/18 area, pets here will often drop a level when tamed, but just tame a few rares, then move up to the next area.

Once you have the highest level of capturable pets, concentrate on levelling one rare to 25, then use that to help level the rest. Only ever use rares.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Two points I would mention:

1- If posible, dont use a level 25 pet as your high level pet. The reason being that the xp is still split between the two pets, which means half the xp is being thrown away. Use level 20-24 pets if you can, so the second pet still benefits.

2 - Do the daily battles against the trainers you have already defeated if you can. All trainers currently give 3.5x the amount of xp (will be nerfed to 2.5x in patch 5.1 according to current patch notes).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]