Arctic Fox kit

90 Worgen Druid
Hi

I've been trying to get the Northrend Safari Achievement (catch all pets in Northrend) and currently I'm only missing Arctic Fox Kit.

I read in Wowhead that you can only get it while it is snowing in Storm Peaks. When does it snow in storm peaks? Anyone know if there is like an addon similar to npc scan that warns me when it's snowing?

It's really boring to just sit and wait for snow..
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
You can tell when it is snowing, as there will be snow falling from the sky. It is small white dots that kind of look like paper, but actually aren't, they are snow.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Hah, fox was easy, wait until you hit Kalimdor. I am waiting for a sandstorm in Tanaris for weeks now.

Protip: get your alt on the mountain and log it off there. Then just relog to check from time to time whether it's snowing yet.
Edited by Serpent on 12/10/2012 10:58 BST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hah, fox was easy, wait until you hit Kalimdor. I am waiting for a sandstorm in Tanaris for weeks now.

Protip: get your alt on the mountain and log it off there. Then just relog to check from time to time whether it's snowing yet.

As all chars share pets, you can just tame it with that alt if you trained pet battles...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Kulisek - I think that is what he meant. :P

I still have yet to find the fox, the silithid was "easy" took me 2 days to check for sandstorms, and the second (and last) hatchling was a rare....lucky me.

My mage is camping storm peaks for over a week now and still no snow. :<

Thats my last weather pet I need afaik. (Except winter and summer ones)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Yeah, that's what I am currently doing with no luck.

The thing is that I just want to be doing other stuff (dinner, dishes, studying) and be warned when weather condition changes. Not sure if such addon/thing exists, just checking. Making me ocasionally log on an alt is an incovenient and the fact that it's completely random doesn't help.
Edited by Patifolas on 12/10/2012 12:25 BST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

The thing is that I just want to be doing other stuff (dinner, dishes, studying) and be warned when weather condition changes. Not sure if such addon/thing exists, just checking. Making me ocasionally log on an alt is an incovenient and the fact that it's completely random doesn't help.

You mean a weather forcast in other words? I think Gamon is training to be a weather tauren, for the Orgrimmar Network Channel, I don''t get that channel because I don't have Azeroth Cable :(
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
No, more like I'd AFK on the map and it the addon would produce a sound/warning when the weather had changed in that region.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Does anybody know, how often it is raining on that island in Stranglethorn? Still missing my ape.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
All weather conditions are completely random, there are no set "schedules" for when it rains and how often. :( However, with my personal experience with the Baby Ape and Artic Fox Kit, i have noticed that the weather lasts for roughly 15 minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is from Wowwiki -

"Instead, each sub-zone among the 11 where weather is currently available is now linked to a set of variables that allow for the possibility of precipitation. The variables have been set to make the potential weather appropriate, meaning heavy showers are more likely in one region and drizzles in another. As Kaplan described it, the zone is practically asking itself whether there will be weather. "It's sort of randomly picking: 'I'm ready to rain but do I want to rain?' " he said. Duration will be chosen based on an automated system as well, with enough variables to make things unpredictable. "We didn't want it to be such a mathematical formula that somebody could literally sit with a stopwatch, log in, go to a zone and go, 'OK in two, one, go — it's going to rain.'"

So basically, log an alt there and keep logging and hoping for the best (worked for me) :))
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I'm sorry to be bumping this thread, but I've been camping in Storm Peaks for days now. Even when watching a movie I keep WoW running in the background to see if it's snowing or not... so far no luck.

Does anyone have any idea as to how often is actually snows there? I mean I understand it's random, but do we have an idea if it happens several times per day, or is it a once a month thing? I know we can't get any numbers since it really is random, but I don't suppose anyone has a vague idea?
I really want the fox... I love foxes and I love everything that has to do with snow and cold.
It's already bad enough that you can't get Mr.Chilly any more :-)
Edited by Snowbat on 22/10/2012 23:11 BST
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Rogue
No idea how often it snows, but i just randomly used my Wormhole teleporter to Northrend and checked every so often. Then one day it was snowing. Camping weather effects wont really do any good, just do like most have said and log an alt now and then.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
In short, you have to be lucky. And persistent. Definetly those two.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
23/10/2012 08:37Posted by Lessiel
In short, you have to be lucky. And persistent. Definetly those two.

Ain't that the damned truth :-)
Just have to be lucky to log in just on a moment it's snowing. I was hoping someone had an idea of the frequency, but as I feared, nobody knows and it's too random to find any kind of pattern.
I could be camping out there for days... or I could be lucky and it could start snowing there in 5 minutes :-)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
A little update for those who are also trying to get this companion: I finally captured one this morning. Before going to work, whiel eating breakfast, I fired up WoW to see if by any chance it spawned (yeah I wanted it THAT bad :-D)
And there it was, all over Snow Drift Plains.
However, it was NOT snowing. But they were all over the place. I stayed online for about 10 minutes and encountered at least 10 of them on the Snow Drift Plains (no Rares for me, but I got an Uncommon)
Don't get your hopes up though: they spawn very rarely, but when they do, they spawn in great number.
I don't know why I saw no snow though... perhaps it was so faint I simply couldn't see it, perhaps it had just stopped snowing and the foxes were not "unspawned" yet or perhaps it was a bug or whatnot...

But you still need a lot of patience. And if you log in to see if it's snowing or not, make sure you quickly fly around the Snow Drift Plains too because as you can see from my example: no visible snow, yet still foxes everywhere.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

You mean a weather forcast in other words? I think Gamon is training to be a weather tauren, for the Orgrimmar Network Channel, I don''t get that channel because I don't have Azeroth Cable :(

i lol'd at that, hahahahahahahaha
Reply Quote
We could get a hundered frost mages to spam blizzard for 10 mins, that might do the trick
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Unfortunaly blizzard is ice, not snow. Yes the name is missleading, blizzard as skill lands shards of ice on the ground.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
24/10/2012 22:55Posted by Snowbat
However, it was NOT snowing. But they were all over the place. I stayed online for about 10 minutes and encountered at least 10 of them on the Snow Drift Plains (no Rares for me, but I got an Uncommon)

Just to confirm this, I've also come across large groups of these twice while doing the argent tournament daily in Storm Peaks. And there was no visible snow at all on both occasions. Perhaps they nerfed the rarity like with Scourged Whelplings.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]