Windwalker PvP Guide (5.3)

90 Human Monk
Hi there, Welcome to my Windwalker PvP guide!

Now updated for 5.3!

First of all I'm not a multi glad super hero writing this guide. I have limited (2150) experience in the arenas and I have reached 1.9k rating as a monk in season 12 so far.
I don't expect you to read my guide like a bible. Read it out and consider what works for you. This works for me and I'm really enjoying my monk!

I wanted to share my opinions and make a guide about how to be successful as a Windwalker Monk in PvP. I've been dueling a lot of classes and I feel monks are in a very good spot. Many people think monks are bad, hence I'm even more eager to write this.

Contents:
1. Stats
2. Reforging
3. Gems & Enchants
4. Gear
5. Talents
6. Glyphs
7. Important abilities
8. General tips
9. Macros
10. DW or 2H

1. STATS

Let's start off with stats. The best stat to go for is crit. We can get as high as even 35% which makes it a very cood stat to go for. In PvP your uptime on your target is very limited, which diminishes the benefit of haste greatly (and mastery to a lesser degree). Crit provides more burst for those short periods of time when you can hit your target. That is why going Crit heavy is important.

Stat priority for PvP:
3% hit > Comfortable amount of Expertise > Agility > PvP Power > Crit>Mastery > Haste > PvP Resilience

As of 5.3 Resilience and PvP Power gems are garbage and everyone has a base resilience of 65%. That shifts the stat priorities out and you will want to go for damage. A lot of damage.

2. REFORGING

I honestly am not sure if going for a little haste is good or bad. I personally am not going for it at the moment but this requires more research.

Reforging priority for PvP:
3% hit > Expertise > Crit>Mastery > Haste

Expertise is very important for us because we are built around one skill: Rising Sun Kick. If that kick misses you lose 20% increased damage, Your MS effect, and a big chunk of damage.
It's very important to hit with this ability. That's why I value expertise very high.

You should go for Crit and then maximize mastery by reforging to it also but without losing caps or crit. That way you get high mastery AND high crit. You can't get super high of one stat so going two stats is the way to go.

3. GEMS & ENCHANTS

Gemming is also very simple when you follow the stat priority. You will want to have as much Agility as possible.
You should meet all socket bonuses.

Meta slot - Agile Primal Diamond or Tyrannical Primal Diamond
Red slot - Delicate Primordial Ruby
Yellow slot - Deadly Vermilion Onyx
Blue slot - Assassin's Imperial Amethyst

You could gem an agi/hit gem in blue slot if you are close to hit cap. Crit could be even better than PvP power so losing power for hit instead of crit or mastery when reforging could be a good idea. Needs more testing.

Enchants are pretty straight forward and are as follows:

Shoulder - Greater Tiger Claw Inscription
Back - Enchant Cloak - Superior Critical Strike
Chest - Enchant Chest - Glorious Stats
Wrist - Enchant Bracer - Greater Agility
Gloves - Enchant Gloves - Superior Expertise
Belt - Living Steel Belt Buckle
Legs - Shadowleather Leg Armor
Boots - Enchant Boots - Blurred Speed
2H - Enchant Weapon - Dancing Steel
MH - Enchant Weapon - Dancing Steel
OH - Enchant Weapon - Dancing Steel/ Living Steel Weapon Chain when you face disarmers.

4. GEAR

Choosing the right pieces and therefore maximizing your secondary stats is about being optimal. Too much hit or too little crit ruins the point of stat priority.
Neck: Tyrannical Gladiator's Necklace of Proficiency
Back: Tyrannical Gladiator's Cape of Cruelty
Wrists: Tyrannical Gladiator's Armwraps of Accuracy
Waist: Tyrannical Gladiator's Waistband of Cruelty
Boots: Tyrannical Gladiator's Boots of Cruelty

Those are the most optimal choices following the stat priority and to maximize the crit and mastery rating.
Edited by Khaka on 12/07/2013 08:28 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
5. TALENTS

Let's talk about talents.

Level 15:
The only real choice here is Tiger's Lust. We suffer from long roots on us and the only way to get away from them without blowing our PvP trinket is to use Tiger's Lust. I recommend you to always pick it.

Level 30:
For a windwalker this tier is about the healing. The only well healing ability for a windwalker is Chi Wave. Chi burst is too clunky for a melee and Zen Sphere heals too little. Chi wave's self heal component gets weaker the more allies you have around you but it'll still heal your allies and do some good. In arenas it's very good as an offheal.

Level 45:
Here you can choose pretty much anything. Chi Brew brings most burst and Ascension more sustained damage. Ascension also brings more flexibility with the 5th Chi. It's a personal preference but I'm using Ascension atm. Being passive it's good to not have to worry about it. Power Strikes is so lame with 1 Chi every now and then.

Level 60:
Again you have a choice between two talents. Leg Sweep or Ring Of Peace. Charging Ox Wave is nice for interrupting ranged and such but it's a stun. Wasting a stun for a gap closer isn't clever imo. It's better to save the stuns for nuking your target. Leg Sweep is optimal for this. Ring Of Peace is also a very good choice but I personally hate to use it. Definitely not a bad choice though.

Level 75:
Healing Elixirs isn't as good as it sounds. 15% every 15 sec is awesome but it lacks defense against burst. It requires you to drink a brew every 15sec.
Dampen Harm is the choice against melees and physical attackers. It has it's uses against casters too (a Mage shattering you for example) But Diffuse Magic is even better for that.
For battlegrounds I'm running with Dampen Harm and in arenas I switch between the two depending on the enemy comp. (Diffuse Magic against spell cleaves)

Level 90:
Chi Torpedo and Rushing Jade Wind really aren't the choices for a Windwalker in PvP.
Xuen is the best choice DPS wise obviously. Damage isn't anywhere near a BM hunter's pet but it's still a damage increase.

6. GLYPHS

There are a few minor glyphs worth mentioning but they are all personal preference.

Glyph of Spinning Fire Blossom is a tradeoff between a 2 second root and making SFB targetable. SFB could be used as a ranged nuke if you can't reach your target but need some dmg on the target right away. The root is also very valuable, keep that in mind.

Glyph of Blackout Kick has wakened some discussion so I'll give you my opinion out here.
The glyph won't make or break a game. 20% of the damage done isn't that much. 50k crit would give you a 10k heal/more dmg. I like to not use the glyph because it gives you little more selfhealing especially when you have melee on you. If you want to go full offensive and you don't feel like needing some itchy 5-10k heals every now and then you can surely glyph it and do just as fine.

As for Major Glyphs there are a few nice ones I'd like to point out:

Glyph of Sparring
Increases your avoidance against casters. A 15% chance to deflect spell from the front is awesome. Makes a mage rage when he misses his Deep Freeze. Be noted Sparring only activates from melee attacks. If there is no melee against you, this glyph is wasted. In that case go for Glyph of Paralysis

Glyph of Touch of Karma
This glyph is a must have. Makes it so much easier to negate ranged with cds.

Glyph of Touch of Death
I really like this glyph for arenas. People dip in the sub 10% hp all the time and this glyph makes sure they dip there only once. You don't always have the Chi for it and that could cost you a game. In the arenas you won't care about the cooldown because you'll need it only once to gain the upper hand in a match. Has little use in BGs though.

Glyph of Paralysis
Added in 5.2 this glyph is a strong choice in the arenas when you have partners who leave dots on your targets. Also damn Xuen.

Glyph of Zen Meditation
If you find yourself sitting in Zen Meditation a lot, moving while doing it could be nice. I find Zen Meditation cancelling pretty quickly especially when there's more than 1 caster nuking something.
Has it's solo uses.

Glyph of Fists of Fury
100% parry is nice but your target should be stunned if he's standing in front of you while your channeling Fists of Fury. This glyph makes it a bit more sure to let you channel it. A rogue with evasion
could be bested with this glyph. Although Fisting through Evasion is always a gamble.
Edited by Khaka on 12/07/2013 08:30 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
7. IMPORTANT ABILITIES

Ring of Peace
A well placed Ring of Peace saves a life. However it now is subject to DRs which makes it a lot worse than it once was. A strong ability still.

Touch of Karma
Learn to love this ability. It's a 10 second bubble in the worst case. In the best case it gives you a huge edge in a 1v1 fight in addition to shielding you. It absorbs 100% of your hp and transfers that damage to your enemy as a 6 second dot. The dot is dispellable and for example DKs can AMS, Rogues can cloak etc.
The buff on you is undispellable but a mage or pally can remove it with Ice Block/Divine Shield

Touch of Death
Mostly useless in PvE this ability really has it's uses in the arenas or RBGs where people get low very often. It requires the 4-piece PvP set to be able to be used in PvP but it's a certain death. The PvP bonus allows you to use Touch of Death on enemy players with less than 10% hp. It does damage equal to your maximum HP. It kills your target through shields, shield wall, Dispersion (most likely) etc. It is a very strong execute when glyphed.

Chi Wave
This is your best heal. It'll bounce on you 4 times and on your enemies 4 times. It heals for about 14k per bounce. 4 bounces make it a 56k heal every 8 sec. You should use this on CD. It'll keep you alive a lot longer.

Grapple Weapon
The best disarm in the game. 40yd range allows you to peel your healer without being anywhere near your enemies. It could even increase your damage/healing done or damage taken by 5% if the opponent had a better weapon.

9. MACROS

TIGER'S LUST
#showtooltip
/cast [@playername] Tiger's Lust

CD's
#showtooltip Tigereye Brew
/use 14
/use 10
/cast Tigereye Brew
/cast Energizing Brew

You could add Xuen there but I like to keep it separate. Please note that the engineering gloves share a 20second cd with the on-use trinket. I like to have it macroed anyway because you'll be able to use Tigereye Brew long before your On-use is back up, it's nice to have the engineering gloves up with the next Tigereye Brew.

Manjbisk's Chi Wave macro:
#showtooltip Chi Wave
/use [@target,help,nodead] [@player] Chi Wave

All credit to Manjbisk for this macro! This macro makes you cast Chi Wave on a friendly target first. Nothing imba but it gives you the first bounce. If an ally is targeted. the ally will get the first bounce. If an enemy is targeted, it'll heal you first.

CANCEL AURAS
Also important macros, these make you stop channeling your Spinning Crane Kick or Zen Meditation if you notice you need to do something else.
#showtooltip
/cancelaura Spinning Crane kick
/cast Spinning Crane Kick

This will make you channel SCK on the initial button press. When pressing again it'll stop the channel. Same works for Zen Meditation. You'll have to be careful not to spam the button as it cancels the effect easily.

FOCUS MACROS
I finally started baking my focus macros in my abilities so my focus macros look like this now:
#showtooltip
/cast [nomod] Paralysis
/cast [mod:shift, @focus] Paralysis

Nothing fancy here. Simple focus macros. Other abilities to consider focus macroing are Quaking Palm (Pandaren Racial), Provoke, Grapple Weapon, Disable and Spear Hand Strike

You could also use Arena1/2/3 macros for these abilities if you wish. The macro would be like following:
#showtooltip
/cast [@arena#] Paralysis

While # represents the number you wish to cast it to. Same goes for focus targeting.

10. DW or 2H

Short and simple, DW is the better choice due to double-enchant and a minor dps gain.

Thank you for reading! This guide is still a work in progress and I'll be updating it all the time.

If you have anything to add to/correct the guide or just a comment please leave it and let's make it a nice all around guide!

After 5.3 I'd really appreciate comments/corrections. There most likely is something wrong.
Edited by Khaka on 06/06/2013 07:53 BST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
bumping altho I think ww monk is pretty crap in pvp ;)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I personally find BK and SFB minor glyphs very useful so I disagee that minor glyphs don't matter. As for the FoF glyph, I find it pretty useful vs, say, rogues, since you can't stun them right away when they use evasion, so the added parry chance works great. Sparring isn't bad either, but I find FoF more useful.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Nice guide! Finally have somewhere to look when I'm getting the blasted enchants.

Good structure and legitimate explanations on why you'd want X over Y etc., voted as sticky.

Oh and guys, remember if you see a Monk pop Touch of Karma on you to burst like hell and pop Diffuse Magic to screw him over! :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Updated the guide quite a bit.
Diabeto: I don't think SFB is a good minor glyph. You'd be giving away your root which is a very good gap closer.

as for glyph of BoK the heal provides little more sustain and survivability which I like. One could ofcourse go full offensive also.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Pretty useful and informative guide. Can't wait for playable comps for WW monks described. What do you think guys about double DD comps, available for WW? Will WW be doing well with hunter, for example?
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
15/10/2012 07:15Posted by Келестис
Pretty useful and informative guide. Can't wait for playable comps for WW monks described. What do you think guys about double DD comps, available for WW? Will WW be doing well with hunter, for example?

I have played with a balance druid and a BM hunter in 2s so far. They surely work. With a hunter the hunter is basically carrying you though but that's a fact for all current hunter comps.

in 3s I've been playing with a destro lock and a resto druid. The comp has been working very well and the burst is good. The only teams we lose to really are those with double hunter, double warr or warr/hunter.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
Very nice guide.
What is your opinion on Glyph of Blackout Kick?
Edited by Vixey on 15/10/2012 09:49 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Very nice guide.
What is your opinion on Glyph of Blackout Kick?

I wrote it above:
"as for glyph of BoK the heal provides little more sustain and survivability which I like. One could ofcourse go full offensive also."
I'll add it to the guide =)

The heal isn't anything big and neither is the dmg. I just prefer to have that little surv there at times.
Edited by Khaka on 15/10/2012 10:34 BST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
By the way, something worth noting regarding SFB and the glyph is that if you miss, no chi is spent on the skill which makes it a little more generous with targeting (if this didn't get changed last minute - it's been too situational/easy to hit cases for me to notice).

Fists glyph against DK's that pop IBF is imo the best use of it but as you say in the guide it's pretty situational compared to the other ones.

In tier 1 talent choices, I find Celerity to be a pretty decent pick as well, especially if you don't have Leg Sweep picked. The total time spent in Roll cooldown over a game is A LOT less with Celerity, and depending on the enemy Tiger's Lust is even a waste of 1 Chi since it doesn't provide immunity to roots. Still, overall Lust is the solid pick I think.

I think it's the best guide we've had so far, keep up the good work. :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
By the way, something worth noting regarding SFB and the glyph is that if you miss, no chi is spent on the skill which makes it a little more generous with targeting (if this didn't get changed last minute - it's been too situational/easy to hit cases for me to notice).

Fists glyph against DK's that pop IBF is imo the best use of it but as you say in the guide it's pretty situational compared to the other ones.

In tier 1 talent choices, I find Celerity to be a pretty decent pick as well, especially if you don't have Leg Sweep picked. The total time spent in Roll cooldown over a game is A LOT less with Celerity, and depending on the enemy Tiger's Lust is even a waste of 1 Chi since it doesn't provide immunity to roots. Still, overall Lust is the solid pick I think.

Thank you for your input!

I've also noticed it's very annoying w8ing for roll CD all the time but Tiger's Lust is just too precious to me to let go of :/
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
@Khaka - the root is ok, but more often than not I end up hitting a pet instead of my target. Plus it's hard to hit stuff with it over rough terrain. On the other hand, having a 50 yard nuke can be very good in certain situations. Up to playstyle tho, I suppose.

15/10/2012 07:15Posted by Келестис

I'm personally not a fan of dual-dps teams for monk. We need some time to build up our damage to it's fullest potential, and the way arenas are atm there's too much burst for that to happen without a healer. So you are just gimping your potential if you go with another dps class, imo. Also, our self-heals are not bad, but you can't really heal your buddy that well, so they might end up dying a lot. Of course, if you play with something like a ret paladin, it might be better, but I still find healer to be the best 2s partner for monk (we destroyed warrior/resto druid teams when I played with a disc priest, and we can kinda beat some hunter teams as well, so it seems viable).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Don't forget that Lust can be cast on teammates as well, making it the only option for arena imo. Considering monks can peel pretty well, casting it on your healer on top of that can really help him survive a lot of horrible situations.
Edited by Diabeto on 15/10/2012 12:48 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
15/10/2012 12:45Posted by Diabeto
@Khaka - the root is ok, but more often than not I end up hitting a pet instead of my target. Plus it's hard to hit stuff with it over rough terrain. On the other hand, having a 50 yard nuke can be very good in certain situations. Up to playstyle tho, I suppose.

Good point there.

Will add that
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Here's some additional abilities you should consider making focus macros for:

Quaking Palm (Pandaren racial)

#showtooltip Quaking Palm
/cast [target=Focus] Quaking Palm

Provoke

#showtooltip Provoke
/cast [target=Focus] Provoke

Grapple Weapon

Focus
#showtooltip Grapple Weapon
/cast [target=Focus] Quaking Palm

Arena1,2,3
#showtooltip Grapple Weapon
/cast [target=arena#] Grapple Weapon

(Replace "#" with 1, 2 or 3)

Disable

#showtooltip Disable
/cast [target=Focus] Disable

Target & focus macros

If you want target arena123 or focus arena123 here's how you set that up easily, so you don't have to tab or click targets when swapping or changing focus;

/focus arena1
/focus arena2
/focus arena3

/target arena1
/target arena2
/target arena3

If you want an additional way to put someone in focus, here's one for mouseover, you just put it on a regular bind and press it, and you'll focus the target your mouse is over:

/focus mouseover
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Thanks a lot Manjbisk! Will add those to the macros section.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
If you want to write a description on why Provoke (Taunt) is there you can write something like "Keeps healer in combat, and prevents him from drinking if he's far away and in LoS", oh and taunting a Gargoyle off your healer was really helpful in the previous seasons as it doesn't change back to the target it was on before! =)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
If you want to write a description on why Provoke (Taunt) is there you can write something like "Keeps healer in combat, and prevents him from drinking if he's far away and in LoS", oh and taunting a Gargoyle off your healer was really helpful in the previous seasons as it doesn't change back to the target it was on before! =)

RageFace.jpg .. as my old main is a dk:P gargoyle always master hes own will 24/7!

I think I will go with Haste over Crit because when you are rooted its nice to spam crackling jade lightning, it will 100% generate 2 chi if you don't get interrupted, which btw does not lock you out of dmg abilities. Just tested it. It does lock you in healing tree.

Well it generate 2 chi for me most of the time by the time its done challenging
Edited by Soku on 15/10/2012 15:56 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]