WoW on Windows 8, is it working?

90 Worgen Hunter
So yeah, as most people not living under a rock have noticed, Windows 8 was released today!

Have anyone tried installing World of Warcraft on Windows 8 and if so run in to any issues, also will the 64bit client detection work on Windows 8 or is it specifically for Windows 7 ?

Would be nice to get a bit of input before investing in this new OS.
Edited by Nelle on 25/10/2012 22:29 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
ive only heard bad things about win8, and it will take years before MS stops supporting win7

windows 8 is by some ppl called wanabe apple tablet.

My advie, if you like win7, keep it, windows 8 does not even look like "windows", but haves a interface that fits more for touch screens, they completly removed the option to use the old type of UI.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
Its working perfect :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
And if I upgrade to Windows 8 from windows 7 will I have to reinstall WoW? Or will it still be there?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
26/10/2012 14:34Posted by Zaltere
And if I upgrade to Windows 8 from windows 7 will I have to reinstall WoW? Or will it still be there?

PLEASE answer this I need to know as well. I have win8 and can't find it.
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Hi there,

You shouldn't have to reinstall anything as if you can get into the file browser you should be able to navigate to your World of Warcraft folder and run the game. As long as the drive where the game was on wasn't formatted or anything, you should be good to go.

Also, the game seems to be running great on Windows 8, if you do encounter issues though, let us know and we'll help out :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Thanks, will having Windows 8 improve my Framerate? I have been having problems with this since MoP and I hoped that this will be my savior!
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
I am running into a frequent problem with the game in that it closes itself and tells me there was a fatal error. And the run time between logging in and the game closing itself becomes shorter and shorter. Not sure what to do as I'm a bit dim when it comes to computers.

(Running Windows 8, of course)
Edited by Icedz on 26/10/2012 18:17 BST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Well I am playing WoW on Windows 8 (x64 pro) for 3-4 weeks and it's perfectly OK all the time. I don't have any problems :P It could improve framerates (not too much but a bit - yes )
U don't need to reinstall anything.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I am running into a frequent problem with the game in that it closes itself and tells me there was a fatal error. And the run time between logging in and the game closing itself becomes shorter and shorter. Not sure what to do as I'm a bit dim when it comes to computers.

(Running Windows 8, of course)

Usually an addon problem, disable all addons and try running the game. Then if it works try running the game each try with one addon more turned on... Mik's Scrolling Battle Text proved to be not so stable.. that is if you're using it
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
The only add on I've been running is recount, but I shall try that method
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Only problem I have is wow only works at 59.9Hz, and I got no clue why as I did a fresh install with all drivers updated.
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Zaltere you may see some performance increase, but then again you may not. To be honest since it's so new and driver support is only just starting, it may be a little uneven or you may get some unexpected results for the first few weeks. As time goes on, drivers will become more comprehensive and things will stablise

Icedz let us know if there's any issues after removing the AddOn.

Naava is this with VSync on or off? Also it may just be worth checking for new drivers when they become available, as like I said above, early days. Will improve!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Zaltere you may see some performance increase, but then again you may not. To be honest since it's so new and driver support is only just starting, it may be a little uneven or you may get some unexpected results for the first few weeks. As time goes on, drivers will become more comprehensive and things will stablise

Icedz let us know if there's any issues after removing the AddOn.

Naava is this with VSync on or off? Also it may just be worth checking for new drivers when they become available, as like I said above, early days. Will improve!
On, wow in unplayable with vsync turned off. Tried off just to check but 59.9Hz is still the only option.
I tried the 310.33 beta drivers but no luck there either.
Edited by Naava on 27/10/2012 13:18 BST
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
Duh! I had a dim moment in forgetting that being on a new machine means I won't have recount yet! But I did update my graphics card drivers and so far, it seems to have done the trick. Before I couldn't play for more than 10-15 minutes before it would crash. However, I've been on for an hour now with no problems.
Thanks for the help though :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
ive only heard bad things about win8, and it will take years before MS stops supporting win7

windows 8 is by some ppl called wanabe apple tablet.

My advie, if you like win7, keep it, windows 8 does not even look like "windows", but haves a interface that fits more for touch screens, they completly removed the option to use the old type of UI.

/facepalm, really.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
i am having some major issues with the display and graphics, it looks really crappy, i have put everything on Ultra but everything looks like they are on ultra-low resolution .
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Oh my lord that new UI is god damn AWFUL. WHAT THE HELL MICROSOFT?! That is disgusting!!! Blargh! Eww! I spit on Windows 8 >:(
http://www.plomonet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Windows_8_Concept___Selection_by_benjamin4074.png

On topic, good to know it works on Winpoo 8 atleast
Edited by Darkhuntsman on 27/10/2012 19:47 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

http://www.plomonet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Windows_8_Concept___Selection_by_benjamin4074.png

Is that an edited screenshot showing wishful thinking, or did Microsoft really do blatant typos there? ("a" instead of "an" and a full stop missing)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

Is that an edited screenshot showing wishful thinking, or did Microsoft really do blatant typos there? ("a" instead of "an" and a full stop missing)
Random concept.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]