Holy priest arena and pvp guide for MoP

90 Troll Priest
Holy priest arena and pvp guide patch 5.3
1. Talents and Glyphs
2. Rotation and Abilities
3. Statistics Priority
4. Macros and tips

Talents and Glyphs
Tier 1: For 3v3, Psyfiend is the best pick against most comps. The times when tendrils should be used are mostly when playing against double melee teams, or teams with lots of fear breakers like SP/war/Rshaman. For 2v2, dominate mind is a must have to be able to finish games versus dps/healer teams. However, if you see that you are facing a double melee dps team, Void Tendrils might be a better choice.
For RBG's I find all three talents to be equally useful.
Tier 2: Body&Soul is useful in more situations than the other talents, both when you are the target and when your team mate is the target, aswell as when you need to get closer to your fear target.
Tier 3: Solace fits the holy priest perfectly, it gives you yet another instant heal to put in your rotation. FDCL is useless since you will never use any of the abilities that proc this talent. Mindbender I find slightly less useful than Solace, and it risks becoming completely useless against teams with aoe slow/snares.
Tier 4. In Cataclysm, Desperate Prayer could heal you for up to 100% due to all the healing bonuses holy had. Now it is always a 30% heal, never more or less.
Spectral Guise is very situational. It can help you avoid a few attacks from casters, but unlike deathing a sheep, absorbing a poly with Spectral Guise does not cause diminishing return, and with the fact that so many CCs have become instant and that the talent is worthless against melee, Angelic Bulwark is our only choice here, since it's also the only talent working while stunned/silenced.
Tier 5. An easy choice just like tier 3. You will not be casting any Prayer of Healings or Greater Heals, and haste is close to worthless for holy, which means Twist of Fate is the best talent here, especially since it activates from Guardian Spirit procs.
Tier 6. Divine Star is the best pick for any arena. Cheap mana cost and short cooldown makes it worth using in our rotation. For RBGs however, Cascade is the best spell with its huge range and homing capabilities.
Halo is way too mana expensive to use on only 2-3 targets in arena, and has too short range to compete against Cascade in battlegrounds.
There are two mandatory glyphs. Glyph of Prayer of Mending should be used since this is one of our two main heals. Glyph of Lightspring will put your Lightwell on autopilot, which your team mates will appreciate. It also does something that the tooltip doesn't tell you, it increases its range by a lot AND it will heal you through LoS.
The third glyph should be changed depending on what you face. Inner Fire or Fade against melee cleaves, Inner Sanctum against caster cleaves, Shadow Word: Death against rogues/mages, Mass Dispel Against mages, Fear Ward against SP/lock. If you don't want to change around every game, just go with Weakened Soul which will be useful against any opponents.

Rotation and Abilities
Your rotation depends on the ammount of damage the enemy team is capable of.
At low pressure, for example in 2v2 against a dps/healer, your rotation would be:
Place Lightwell
Cast Renew
Prayer of Mending
Holy Word: Serenity
Power Word: Solace
Prayer of Mending
Prayer of Mending
and so on.
With this rotation, you will not drop any mana at all.
At medium pressure you just add Power Word: Shield into your rotation. This spell is a bit more expensive so you might drop some mana slowly, but not enough to go OOM.
At high pressure, for example while being constantly trained by a warrior and DK, you might have to add Circle of Healing and Divine Star into you rotation. These spells are multi target heals, which means it will be a small heal for a big mana cost, but it will be necessary to stay alive.
At very high pressure, for example when a mage and warlock is popping cooldowns on your partner, you will have to complete your rotation of instant spells with Flash and Greater Heals.
Example of rotation at maximum pressure:
Prayer of Mending
Power Word: Shield
Circle of Healing
Divine Star (if your partners are withing range, otherwise skip)
Flash Heal
Flash Heal
Greater Heal

OR

Just run behind LoS, pop trinket etc. and Divine Hymn (prefered against DoT cleaves).
You may also want to put Guardian Spirit up to increase your healing. I recommend using GS for it's bonus healing effect, and not for it's sacrifice effect, which very rarely bring the target to 50%, it's usually around 30%.

While facing triple dps or a heavy dps heavy cc stealth comp, it can be a good idea to put a Power Word: Sanctuary below the player most likely to be opened on for some extra healing, but switch back to Chakra: Serenity right away.

Statistics Priority
Intellect>pvp power>mastery>crit>haste
Use int reds, int+mastery yellows and int+pvp power blues. I suggest stun reducing meta gem. Focus on int and mastery when enchanting.
Spirit is a personal matter. You might find out that different ammounts are optimal in 2v2, 3v3 and RBGs.
Mastery vs Crit:
Mastery gives 0.0020 percent per point. Crit gives 0.0016 percent per point.
6000 mastery = 12% bonus healing. 6000 crit = 9.6% bonus healing.
Crit will boost everything except PW: Shield, while mastery will boost everything except PW: Sheild, renew and lightwell.
Calculations show that mastery still is slightly better, while it's also less likely to get wasted as overhealing.

Macros and tips
You can find a whole lot of priest macros in other guides, but I will provide you with some holy exclusive ones.
The following macro will disable your active Chakra on the first click, cast Chastise on the second click, and go back to Chakra: Serenity on the third click.
#showtooltip holy word: chastise
/cancelaura Chakra: Serenity
/castsequence reset=4 Holy Word: Chastise, Chakra: Serenity
The duration of Chastise is longer than the cast time of Dominate Mind, which means holy priests can land a guaranteed mind control every 30 seconds on classes like warriors, which would be hard otherwise. Very useful in 2v2.

Now that Serendipity is a baseline holy ability, the following macro will save you a keybind.
#showtooltip Flash Heal
/castsequence reset=20 Flash heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal
Replace your Flash Heal with this macro. This will cast a Greater Heal instead of Flash Heal every time you have 2 Serendipity stacks.

This macro will make it easier to swap between Chakra Sancturay and Serenity in battlegrounds.
#showtooltip
/castsequence !Chakra: Sanctuary, !Chakra: Serenity
(You can use a similar macro to switch between Inner Fire/Will.)

Enter Sanctuary Before Divine Hymn.
#showtooltip Divine Hymn
/cast Chakra: Sanctuary
/cast Divine Hymn

Additional tips:
Guardian Spirit can be cast while stuck in a hunter trap, and while stunned, even on other players.
Chastise lets you land safe fears on enemy disc priests without getting feared back, giving you a slight advantage in mirrors vs a disc.
When completely OOM during a teamfight in RBGs, it's better to die first than last to make full use of Spirit of Redemption. In some situations, it might even be worth dying on purpose.

Patch 5.3
Made by Bigbossman, Khadgar EU
2,3k exp holy priest.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/khadgar/Bigbossman/advanced
http://www.youtube.com/user/woxenrud
Edited by Bigbossman on 24/05/2013 00:29 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Hey bud

Might actually level my priest then if holy is playable, haven't given it a go since I heard healing priests are terrible at 90. Thanks for that serendipity macro, didn't think of that :)

Edit: The macro seems to have a slight delay between each spell which might be problematic.
Edited by Canadadry on 04/11/2012 18:41 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Hi mate. I also noticed now that you cannot buffer the next cast with that macro, you need a certain timing for it to work.
If you are still interested in holy I think you should give it a try, it seems that just like in cata, holys scales very much with gear, and will be fun to play at end season, especially with elite gear.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Nice guide so far. I'd but a few more paragraphs into the talent section, it's pretty W-o-T-ish at the moment. ^^

And I don't really think that FH macro is such a good idea. As soon as you triggered Serendipity by casting Binding Heal it won't work all that great anymore.
Eg:
BH, FH -> GH, FH (macro ->) GH.
Or you'd need to cast 1 FH more than needed to get to the GH.

Sure, BH isn't really used all that often, but IF you ever use it, it'll throw of your macro. ^^

I'd also make some remarks about the talents, but I guess that'd be more of a point-of-view thing and will probably differ with the rating one plays at, among other things.

Aside from that it's a really neat guide so far, at least for the basic outlines of holy pvp.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Thats right, if you are a fan of binding heal that macro is a bad idea. Personally I use BH once every hundred games.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
You are BIG BOSS MAN! Thanks for this thread.

I have one question. You haven't mentioned Spirit in Reforge part. I see both of us running in similar amount so 6k should be enough. Also macro with FH,FH,GH doesn't suits me. I still prefer having FH nad GH on it's own bind.

Glyph of Spirit of Redemption is worth taking for both arena and RBG. 25s immunity to CC equals 1 million healing done which is amazing. I;ve been playing 3s with 2 War Arms and strategy was always kill their healer as they will kill me so then I heal You to full and You win 2v2. It works.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Glyph of spirit of redemption in RBGs is something I need to try
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Great guide thanks. I'm currently trying it at BG's and gonna give it a go at arena as well.

But that chastice macro isn't working. It gives you a global cd after first click. at first click it cancels the serenity aura then the second time you click, it casts the holy word: chastise. do not go back to serenity at all.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Great guide thanks. I'm currently trying it at BG's and gonna give it a go at arena as well.

But that chastice macro isn't working. It gives you a global cd after first click. at first click it cancels the serenity aura then the second time you click, it casts the holy word: chastise. do not go back to serenity at all.

It works for me, maybe you are spamming it so it cancel the chakra again
Edited by Bigbossman on 08/11/2012 13:46 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Bumping this with a video guide.
The text above is still relevant but the video explains some parts more deeply, and displays the healing rotation, which might be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cidr92v5qrY
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Nice guide. Go go holy! :)
Reply Quote
Very nice guide, and with Holy changes, looks like Priest will have both it's healer specs playable in PvP finally! ^ __ ^ I'm loving the new chakra changes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Well after reading this I am realy considering going Holy spec for PvP
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Updated for 5.2
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Rotation and Abilities
Your rotation depends on the ammount of damage the enemy team is capable of.
At low pressure, for example in 2v2 against a dps/healer, your rotation would be:
Place Lightwell
Cast Renew
Prayer of Mending

Is solance good anough to replace mindbender?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Nice guide! Three cheers for Holy! I'm so tired of scrubs (often non-Priests) telling me to play Disc because "It's better".
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
This may be a stupid question as i've never used twist of fate, but is it meant to be randomly proccing?
Reply Quote
Thanks for the guide.

This spec is really fun and enjoyable to play, especially in random BGs (it's like it's been designed to be efficient in this "bracket").

5s CD on chakra is amazing, you can switch to assist / CC without being punished by being stuck for 30s in a stance anymore. It's really insane to switch to sanctuary to CoH / divin hymn then assist a bit with chastise then come back to serenity as Flag Carrier is taking damage. Makes the spec so dynamic.

- We're still (as discipline) lacking a bit of damage, especially in chastise chakra.
- Glyph of soulwell is a pain => should be a minor glyph (as thunderstorm glyph for example)
- Tried Power infusion => may be worth it, but not when you face a clever mage, they don't need another buff ! :D I'm not a big fan of twist of fate. It's insane in wpvp 'cause it procs all the time. But in smaller brackets :\ Yes it's a buff when you need it the most but... Idk, I feel it's better to choose whenever you want to cast fast. I may be wrong there.
- Tried FDCL instead of solace. It's cool when you have to cast a lot, like in the flag room when your FC is taking a lot of dmg and you can position yourself well.
It's a bit rough to say "it's not triggered by the abilities we used". We also have to cast Flash Heals in many situations. Instant heals are good but we often need Flash Heal !

Once again : thanks for the guide.
Edited by Helià on 18/03/2013 14:54 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
Thanks for this guide!
I'm realy enjoying Holy so far! I've been in my shadowgear as holy while grinding new honor for the spirit set.

And i do realy well.
Always top healing done and almost never OOM.
So i can't wait until i get the real 4p from healing set :).

I don't know why i havent tried out holy earlier, i'm enjoying it way more than disc.
And i love chakras, i've seen alot of ppl dislike it but i love it. It makes abit of diversity to the spec.

I've got a question for you, if you do 2s;
What works good with a holy priest?
My current partner is UH and i used to be shadow. But since i'm going holy will he still be a good candidate or shall i tell him to go frost?

Ps, i love your videos ;) I even made a post about it some week ago :)
Edited by Brudén on 18/03/2013 22:09 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest

I've got a question for you, if you do 2s;
What works good with a holy priest?
My current partner is UH and i used to be shadow. But since i'm going holy will he still be a good candidate or shall i tell him to go frost?

Im playing with an UH right now and its going great. We usually end games pretty early with an aphyxiate>fear>chastise>dominate mind chain on the healer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]