Crowd control is out of control.

90 Blood Elf Rogue
There are too many CC spells in this game. What's even more annoying is that many of them are instant and once you get CC'd - you're in for a long and thrilling "can't do that" chain-CC experience.

Sure we need CC in the game. Without it it would've been too hack'n'slashy and one-dimensional, but being unable to control your character for ages (seconds do feel like ages in PvP) is not fun.

Defensive dispels being nerfed with a 8 second cooldown added quite some oil into the fire as well. The argument was "we don't feel like spamming dispel was fun" and I actually agree here. It probably wasn't. But being unable to actually play is most likley even less fun.

What I think might be a good start is to do one of the following:
1. Reduce the cooldown on PvP Trinkets to 1 min;
2. Defensive dispel cooldown reduced to 4 sec cooldown;
3. Broader diminishing returns;
4. Plain 1-2 sec nerf to CC duration.

Someone probably has a different view or better ideas, so feel free to discuss.
Edited by Powerduck on 08/11/2012 10:21 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
if the cooldown on the pvp trinket was only 1 min youd have a hard time timing a proper cc chain in arena :E ... just saying pvp trinket cooldown is fine as it is. yes theres alot of cc in the game and thats fine since theres alot of burstcooldowns aswell. if you use your abilities right you will be able to avoid most cc when you most need it. the dispells? i dont mind it. now you need to actually think when you dispell something and not just spam dispell everything . it raises the skill lvl abit which is gr8t ( i play both disc and holy pala so know what im talking about :) ) u gotta live with being peeled and ccd in arena sometimes , cant be avoided completely but most can. its the point x:
Edited by Kiay on 08/11/2012 10:40 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
trinket used:

instant fear 7sec
poly 7sec
poly 4 sec
poly 2 sec
cyclone 7sec
cyclone 4sec
cyclone 2sec

12sec breath

repeat

untill trinket is back up

ye no i love it ( ps happened on me dk instead of shaman otherwise i could use tremor totem lol)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
they just need to remove AoE cc. It should all be on target.

There are bgs where i stand still more than i move -_-
Reply Quote
Community
trinket used:

instant fear 7sec
poly 7sec
poly 4 sec
poly 2 sec
cyclone 7sec
cyclone 4sec
cyclone 2sec

12sec breath

repeat

That's some good communication from whichever team you are fighting, pulling off a successful crowd control chain where you effectively shut a single player down for 33 seconds is pretty impressive. Their whole team is wasting a lot of time and effort to keep you in CC like this, your team should try and take advantage of that by putting pressure onto them so that they cannot continue the chain so effectively. Your team could also try interrupting the CC chain through use of stuns, interrupts or even CC of your own.

If a team is so focused on keeping you in such an effective CC chain for so long, then their attention is focused on that and you should take full advantage of this fact. Right now however we are content with how crowd control abilities are working, especially when you consider the trade-offs that are involved in their use such as high costs, cooldowns, cast times as well as the focus and communication that is required to maintain a successful CC chain. A key point to make is that we do not feel diminishing returns have been communicated and explained well enough and this is something that we would like to work on.
Edited by Nakatoir on 08/11/2012 12:57 GMT
Reply Quote
86 Human Warrior
What i don't understand is that there is even more CC currently than in Cataclysm, the dispell on 8 second's was probably a big mistake.
Reply Quote
trinket used:

instant fear 7sec
poly 7sec
poly 4 sec
poly 2 sec
cyclone 7sec
cyclone 4sec
cyclone 2sec

12sec breath

repeat

ye no i love it ( ps happened on me dk instead of shaman otherwise i could use tremor totem lol)

Youre in a team. If youre team allows CC chains on you for 30 secs staright without interupts, something is wrong with your team.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
08/11/2012 13:03Posted by Lcuz
Youre in a team. If youre team allows CC chains on you for 30 secs staright without interupts, something is wrong with your team.

It's very easy for some comps with multiply classes with spammable CC to keep a team CC'd for a long period of time.

It's why caster cleaves have dominated for so long now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Unless we see a rank 1 blizzard employee arena team, we wont believe any of your theoretical nonsense that might happen once in a blue moon.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
but this is not avoidable: pom ring/poly / blood fear / insta clone
Reply Quote
81 Orc Hunter
08/11/2012 12:55Posted by Nakatoir
Right now however we are content with how crowd control abilities are working, especially when you consider the trade-offs that are involved in their use such as high costs, cooldowns, cast times as well as the focus and communication that is required to maintain a successful CC chain.

Yeah that's fine, if the CC had a cast time.

cast times

Bloodfear/psyfiend/druid disorient/blinding light etc.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
i just dislike the instant fear
i can live with current cc's mosy of them is avoidable
instant stuns, is annoying but it keeps you in place

while an instant fears is
1. skillles
2. can fear you in middle of map

that cc chain was beautiful teamwork

but it was unavoidable when i am standing in middle of arena map

=> really dislike instant fear
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
08/11/2012 13:15Posted by Tublat
Right now however we are content with how crowd control abilities are working, especially when you consider the trade-offs that are involved in their use such as high costs, cooldowns, cast times as well as the focus and communication that is required to maintain a successful CC chain.

Yeah that's fine, if the CC had a cast time.

cast times

Bloodfear/psyfiend/druid disorient/blinding light etc.

Also Predator's Swiftness Clone, Ancestral Swiftness Hex, AS Clone aswell, not to mention all the stuns atm, put in a PoM RoF - get's dispelled, sheeped straight away. Also Shadowfury / Deepfreeze stuns and Priest Horror/stun.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

That's some good communication from whichever team you are fighting, pulling off a successful crowd control chain where you effectively shut a single player down for 33 seconds is pretty impressive. Their whole team is wasting a lot of time and effort to keep you in CC like this, your team should try and take advantage of that by putting pressure onto them so that they cannot continue the chain so effectively. Your team could also try interrupting the CC chain through use of stuns, interrupts or even CC of your own.

If a team is so focused on keeping you in such an effective CC chain for so long, then their attention is focused on that and you should take full advantage of this fact. Right now however we are content with how crowd control abilities are working, especially when you consider the trade-offs that are involved in their use such as high costs, cooldowns, cast times as well as the focus and communication that is required to maintain a successful CC chain. A key point to make is that we do not feel diminishing returns have been communicated and explained well enough and this is something that we would like to work on.

Now that everyone has many aoe and instant cc spells, is blizzard considering reverting the dispel system back to the way it was in Cata?
There are so many roots, novas, damage debuffs , instant ccs, cc that hits multiple people in a team, it's impossible to predict since many of those abilities have either really short cds or no cd at all. Against majority of spell cleaves, there is no optimal dispelling strategy, you dispel one guy, the other guy gets cc'd for life. You dispel a debuff, your entire team is in a Ring of Frost.
I am not sure if this was a well thought effort by Blizzard to reduce skill cap of the arena or they thought this would increase the skill cap but being able to react and dispel fast was an indication of skill. Nowadays healers just dispel and hope for the best after that due to the fact that 3 enemy players having tons of ccs.
The game is simply less fun when you see things and can't react to it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Resto druid with warrior symbiosis vs feral druid:

Hibernate, cyclone, fear, roots, mighty bash

he can solo CC that feral :D
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Rogue
When you go from no cd dispel to 8 cd dispel, you have expectations for the amount of cc in the game to drop significantly. When the amount of cc actually increases, there is a problem.

That's some good communication from whichever team you are fighting, pulling off a successful crowd control chain where you effectively shut a single player down for 33 seconds is pretty impressive. Their whole team is wasting a lot of time and effort to keep you in CC like this, your team should try and take advantage of that by putting pressure onto them so that they cannot continue the chain so effectively

Its not as big investment from the opponent team as you think.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue

How can you say that when CC, especially against melee and ESPECIALLY against melee with a lack of movement abilities, is so easy to use and doesn't even require big cooldowns, communication or high costs?

Warlock & shaman combined: Fear (8), Stun totem (5), root totem (5), hex (8), warlock stun(2), fear (8).
It's not hard to pull off at all, neither is it as hard as you're making it out to be, but it still cc's you for 36 seconds. Not to mention the time it costs you to get to your target with a slow on your !@# (Ranged doesn't need a slow with a 100% uptime when there are melee classes without any proper gap closers).

Or my personal favorite against a caster: Sap (8), sap (4), Sap (2), Cheap shot (5), garrote (4.5), gouge (4), blind (8), sap (8), sap (4), sap (2), kidney shot (6), garrote (4.5), gouge (4). 64 seconds of CC if you're unfortunate enough to have your trinket on CD. Couple that with a class like druid, mage or priest and you can keep someone CC'd forever.
But then again rogue damage is so low that this is all we got at the moment.
Edited by Daegranos on 08/11/2012 13:46 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]