BLIZZARD FIX: Generally nerf all hybrid healing.
CONSEQUENCES: Shadow priests will be a bit more balanced. All the rest of hybrids (except ferals) that are balanced or even gimped right now will be noncompetitive pvp wise.
REPERCUSSION ANALYSIS BY SPEC:
- Spriest: has lots of sustained damage and good burst, lots of cc, and good defensives. This nerf will tune them down, no doubt about that, but they are one of the strongest pvp specs right now and have lots of other tools and utility beside healing, so they will survive the nerf (plus the whine that causes this nerf is originated by sp healing).
- Feral: has great burst, lots of cc, average sustained damage and average-low defensives. This nerf will not make them unplayable but will render it healing spells completely useless, specially tanking into account that its mana pool can't handle more than 3-4 healing casts and the mana regeneration is very low. So the spec will loose all the hybrid character and every single Predatory Swiftness proc and Nature's Swiftness CD will be used on no other spell but cyclone. They will become more a 1 button spec and the nerf will not help on the areas where ferals are 2 strong.
- Retribution: has good burst, average cc, average-low sustained damage and average defensives. The problem is that all their pvp play-style is based on selfhealing. Go and duel a retri paladin. You will confirm that he has to selfheal a lot just to remain competitive, and even then they are not hard to beat. This nerf will not only remove the hybrid character of one of the most characteristic hybrid specs, but also let them in a very bad spot pvp wise.
- Enhacement: has great burst, good sustained damage, bad cc and bad defensives. Right now, in pvp, they are very hard to play without a healer. They lack tons of survability. Also, their mana pool and regeneration does not allow them to heal more than 3-4 times, they will never ever save anybody with their heals. It is not that this nerf will affect them to much given that their heal power is already very limited, but it is an uncalled nerf for a spec that has already troubles in pvp.
- Balance: has great burst, average-low sustained damage, good cc and bad defensives. The same as retris, their play-style is based on selfhealing, remove that and you are taking away one of the most relevant things they bring to the table. Also, it is a balanced (nerfed?) spec right now, so nerfing it will send moonkins to the bottom of the food chain.
So, in brief, this nerf will:
1) Address the SP healing issue.
2) Remove the hybrid play-style in general and let us with only 3 play-styles in game: mele dps, caster dps, healer.
3) Simplify even more feral play-style without addressing the actual issues of the spec.
4) Hurt badly 2 balanced (not OP) specs in their everyday toolkit while not addressing any issue because nobody is denouncing that retri or moonkin healing is causing problems in pvp.
5) Further nerf enhacement shamans, an already unpopular spec that is in need of some help since Cata.
All in all I find this nerf a bad move that will end up increasing the already high unbalance between classes and remove even more variety of play-style from the game, hurting many gimped classes just to address an issue from one single class.
I am starting to believe that Blizzard is devoting its more powerful human resources to another proyect and just giving a 5min thought at how to address the big and obvious problems WoW PvP has now.