Let’s Talk About Brawler’s Guild

Community
Yes, we’re breaking the first rule of Brawler’s Guild.

For those of you that haven’t been following along, the Brawler’s Guild is a new feature being introduced to World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria in patch 5.1. This new part of the World of Warcraft has generated a lot of excitement--not to mention a few questions--so we’re going to try to provide a clearer picture of what we’re hoping to accomplish with the Brawler’s Guild in this thread.

First, a little bit about what it is, and what it isn’t:

What Brawler’s Guild Is
  • A fun, but small diversion that could grow in time
  • A venue for a realm’s community to come together
  • A unique way to earn some solo PvE bragging rights
  • A cool place to hang out
  • What Brawler’s Guild Isn’t
  • A means of solo progression
  • A major patch feature accessible to everyone (at first)
  • A way to earn lots of in-game rewards
  • Proving Grounds where you can develop class skills (that’s a different feature arriving later on)

So, to sum up, we’re trying to give the Brawler’s Guild a tight knit, underground kind of feel, and we expect the Guild on each realm to slowly grow to encompass more and more of the population over time. Because invites will be so limited, it’s likely that a lot of the players that join the Brawler’s Guild will have had some kind of interaction with one or more existing members before they ever step into the ring. Finally, a smaller population will help keep the queues low for quite a while – since a big part of the Brawler’s Guild is watching other players fight their own battles, right now instancing arenas or using phasing isn’t an attractive option.

About Those Invites
Invites to the Guild will (at least initially) only be available for purchase on the Black Market Auction House. We’ve taken this approach both to control queue times, and also because the Brawler’s Guild is meant to be kind of a small, underground thing, and a way for players on a realm to come together. At first, that will happen because invites will go out from one player to another based on who buys those initial Black Market invites. After reaching a certain rank in the Brawler’s Guild, each of the new members can eventually earn one new invitation of their own to pass out to someone else on the same realm, so the Brawler’s Guilds on each realm should get progressively larger and larger over time. We may also investigate alternate methods of acquiring invitations or making them more plentiful.

World First?
We’ve also decided that attaching a realm first style achievement to the Brawler’s Guild isn’t necessarily the right move. Rest assured that there will be other achievements to earn in the ring though.

We know you’ve got questions, so ask away, and we’ll try to clarify where things are hazy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
It sounds like an incredible oversight the fact that you didn't really account for high-pop realms when you decided to make this content uninstanced.

I can just imagine the queue of hundreds people and the invites going for 500k++ on the BMAH.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Placing invites on the BMAH is as good as ransoming off new content to the highest bidder. In which case you are saying the deserving WoW player is the WoW player with the most gold, an insane attitude to adopt.

I have played the Brawlers Club on the PTR and it seems like an excellent addition to the game, but high population servers will suffer massively from this.

Sure you want to filter the amount of people fighting. In which case instance it like a raid. Allow 20, 30 or 40 people to be present in the instance to watch. Round robin the queue like that.

But don't even think about offering this new content out to the highest bidder as I can assure you it'll bite you back in the !@#, especially when we PAY a monthly subscription to this game.

I implore you do come to your senses and make this new content available for ALL at release of 5.1. Not the selected (richest) few. We pay our monthly sub for this, not to have it withheld from us until we are fiscally able to participate.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
Invites to the Guild will (at least initially) only be available for purchase on the Black Market Auction House.

so you're saying that every rich retard with no skills can get in instead of ppl who might... just might.. take it seriously...?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Will the fights be balanced so that any class will be able to kill them all? Or will you need multiple classes to clear them all?
Edited by Aggressive on 08/11/2012 19:29 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
08/11/2012 19:17Posted by Litvan
Invites to the Guild will (at least initially) only be available for purchase on the Black Market Auction House.

so you're saying that every rich retard with no skills can get in instead of ppl who might... just might.. take it seriously...?

I forgot the richest people in the world are also the most stupid, that correlates!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
So, to sum up, we’re trying to give the Brawler’s Guild a tight knit, underground kind of feel

You have succeeded massively.

And in the process removed any interest I had in this feature.
Edited by Bitterness on 08/11/2012 19:37 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Really no one has come up with

THE FIRST RULE OF BRAWLERS CLUB! YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT BRAWLERS CLUB!

on a more serious note though high population realms have u seen what golden lotus dailys did to people during the first few weeks on high populations servers? many of them wont be the same

Oh and will there be a enrage timer to stop say healers from just clogging up the line by taking forever with their mob?

and X Realm heirlooms please!
Edited by Duffey on 08/11/2012 19:45 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Oh and will there be a enrage timer to stop say healers from just clogging up the line by taking forever with their mob?

There are indeed enrage timers on the fights.
Edited by Azbats on 08/11/2012 19:47 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
on my server.. yeah.. sadly
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The first wave of people who buy the invites off the BMAH will more than likely just charge someone to be invited to the brawlers guild and then that person charges less and so on. So by the time the invites reach people who don't want to spend massive amounts of gold to even try it out, the number of people queuing to fight will devalue the experience.

Of course people can always come back and try the brawlers guild later on when less people are using it and the invites are cheaper, but is this really the best way to implement a new feature? That it will be at its finest when only the richest or luckiest players can use it before its decline?

Also to say the brawler's guild isn't a means to solo progression might need clarifying. Yes its not a means to upgrading your characters gear and it certainly wont help your guilds raids but that isn't the only form of solo progression. For example the new pet battling feature is a type of solo progression, so are achievements and mount collecting, the brawler's guild shouldn't be disregarded as something a player might work towards as their form of playing the game.

I can only see my self getting into the brawler's guild under one of three circumstances.

I'm lucky enough to have a perfect stranger be awesome and randomly invite me early on.

I buy an invite when I feel the price is worth it when it a lot of people will already be in but long wait times.

I wait a few months, buy a cheap invite and it has become more like a ghost town but short queues.

Ah well, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm the only person with these concerns.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Getting this onto the BMAH is just a cheap way of cleaning some gold from the servers.
Make the place either zooned or instanced and let everyone do it from day 1. You've done zooning before and probably can this time aswell?
Give everyone an option to enter zone 1->10 and each zone also tell how many people is in that zone right now or automaticly put you in same as your own guild or raid or party or whatever.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
A bad bad move in my opinion, All you will do is annoy everyone who has zero chance to get into the club. The basis of someone with money being able to buy their way in and others who do not have that kind of money or luck will never get in is horrible

SUGGESTION:

Why not go another way around this but still keeping it small to start with but YOU blizz have control. Why not this:

Brawlers Club raffle:
Ok so once a month blizz selects from its data base on every server randomly say 10 -20 people who will recieve an invite in the mail. We the players have no intervention in this and it is then completly fair.
This means that everyone who plays WOW will have a chance to get into the club. If the invite goes to someone who does not consider it something they wish to do they have the ablity to send it on to a friend to use.
This also means you do not have to rethink the process at a later time in order to widen the amount of players joining the club because all you have to do is increase the number of players sent invites via the reaffle

I urge you to think more on these lines rather than the way your currenly thinking because you will upset a very large population of the player base.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I don't understand... why are you talking about queue times when it's un-instanced?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
A cool place to hang out

Too bad the Horde one isn't so cool.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
thank you for confirming that you intend on keeping with the elites strategy for access.

subscription canceled
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Incredibly short sighted for BMAH only invites - content that looked really interesting that will again be out of the reach of all but the 'richest' playerbase.

Seriously rethinking if I want to keep subscribing to this type of game...
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
08/11/2012 20:03Posted by Archaos
I don't understand... why are you talking about queue times when it's un-instanced?

Only one fighter can fight at a time so you enter a queue as to when it's your turn to go into the ring.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Sorry, I have to ask, does Jay Wilson have any influence on the WoW design team now? Looks like after ruining the Diabloe franchise he's doing it with WoW now. If it's not him, could the person responsible for the idea to sell the invitations on the bmah please GTFO.

Anyway with that utterly stupid move you killed any interest I had in this feature.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Why is the Horde's Brawler's Guild in the Ring of Valor? That doesn't exactly seem any kind of underground. Why isn't it somewhere hidden away in the Cleft of Shadow?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]