Spectator mode in Arena?

90 Goblin Shaman
16/11/2012 21:13Posted by Prophetvallv
The main problem is that it's a huge feature and simply a matter of being able to getting around to creating it.

Yea its so hard to make something like a spectator mode thats why some private servers have a fully working and easy-to-use arena spectator mode. Damn these stupid excuses are so tiring...

Tbh I think the blue guys have been selling bull!@#$ for so long that they're actually genuinely starting to believe it themselves.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
You know one thing keeps comign back up again and again in Blizzard blue responses.

"it takes a considerable time to develop"

What kind of nonsense is this?! Blizzard claims to be the top player in the whole game developer scene and then games like Rift have way way WAY more content upgrades?

Why is blizzard keeping it`s developer team so small then that they never have time to do anything? there are what 6 billion people in the world so any excuse of not being able to find people to do that extra content is just utter trash. There are people out there to be hired that could do those things but for some reason Blizzard is still staying small.

also about the "concentrated team" talk meaning that hiring more people will just confuse things is trash too. take a look at developers like square etc who have way bigger teams workign on games. Yes it can be done and well too. (game success itself is not a meter to see how well but the finished state of the game.)

TL;DR stop giving players this and that about taking time from the devs and HIRE MORE PEOPLE ffs ... i have no idea where you put all the income from the 10m subs but i am pretty sure you could hire a few more without seriously gimping vivendi-activision-blizzard etc. financially.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You know one thing keeps comign back up again and again in Blizzard blue responses.

"it takes a considerable time to develop"

The thing that I see even more is "not enough players are using it" which is complete BS as whatever they implement is hardly used 1 season or more after release such as wargames which I'm 100% sure not everyone uses on a daily basis. Skirmishes for example were much more easily accessible than wargames as you could queue solo but blizzard is running under a dictatorship and will not change anything unless they feel its necessary. Blizzard also have a habit of breaking things that are working as intended.
Edited by Spardz on 16/11/2012 21:40 GMT
Reply Quote
11 Goblin Priest
@Nasseorava: ever heard "cost effective"? its not usefull to hire people to implement something that only 1‰ of the players will use
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
16/11/2012 21:42Posted by Shrapnella
@Nasseorava: ever heard "cost effective"? its not usefull to hire people to implement something that only 1‰ of the players will use

And you wonder why WoW's player base is declining...
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

Even less than that... at least directly...
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

Well no wonder wow is approaching the level of farmville.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
maybe because the guys at blizzard are catering to the needs of 10million active players and your homies at that private server perhaps 50
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
16/11/2012 22:44Posted by Gadriel
maybe because the guys at blizzard are catering to the needs of 10million active players and your homies at that private server perhaps 50
That doesn't even make sense? How am I not an active player?

Do you have actual statistics that out of those 10 million only 50 would use an arena/rbg/whatever spectation feature? Polls maybe?
Edited by Thezftw on 16/11/2012 22:51 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
what?

are you sure you know how to read?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
what?

are you sure you know how to read?
If some guy can wrap up a working feature in to a game he/they didn't even make, how Blizzard can't have one of their programmers do it?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
16/11/2012 14:14Posted by Nakatoir
however you have to remember that there are also many readily available streams, like the one you provide, which allow players to spectate others.

The thing about streams are they're usually limited to one PoV per team / raid, which can make them boring to watch in the long run. A spectator client would remove that problem and it would be useful to help out new players. All new games have spectator client and it would be a huge thing for the game.

the number that would actually use it regularly or even continue to use after its initial release is quite low.

Isn't there a way to spectate the brawler's guild thingie? I for one know I'll have 0 interest in watching that but you're still adding one :)

We have to be sure that we continue to deliver on new content for players to consume as well as avoiding taking away from other new and awesome projects that are in the pipeline

What you consider "awesome content" is objective, I for one don't really care for the new raids while I do run the scenarios from time to time but it doesn't make them "awesome content" for me. What I would consider as awesome content would be a new arena that doesn't have a million bugs like Ruins of Lorderon still has or a way to host your own ingame tournaments with a spectator UI.

16/11/2012 15:27Posted by Nakatoir
"It's just a question of being able to get around to doing it, so someday...Hopefully."

If it was ever going to happen it would of been done a long time ago, I think most people understand that. For the start of Wrath was kinda the deadline since WoW was still growing as an competetive game back then, now it's declining because of Blizzard developers being big headed and just lazy.

it is just something that we do not have planned as of yet.

Just a question then, what if WoW "dies" it loses let's say 9 Million subscribers, do the developers still think that it's new PvE content that will attract players? People like doing arenas in this game because of the good movement and the good design of arenas.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Million bugs like Ruins? Maybe you meant RoV.

Though I agree on everything else. :P Also WoW's game engine is simply the best one out there for this type of PvP play and it's sad it's not taken full advantage of. You have a winner in your hands but you don't collect the price.

I've played many MMO's but it always boils down to the engine issue where gameplay just isn't what I would want it to be.
Edited by Thezftw on 16/11/2012 23:27 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
16/11/2012 23:21Posted by Thezftw
Million bugs like Ruins?

Just today I got feared behind the statues, tome can still DC you if knocked into it, hill doesn't give LoS etc.

16/11/2012 23:21Posted by Thezftw
Also WoW's game engine is simply the best one out there for this type of PvP play

Byfar. It has better movement and "flow" then some FPS games.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Uh oh. It's been quite a while since my character bugged in Ruins.. The last time I think I just fell trough the floor when I got sheep'd next to the tomb.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I am a freelance software developer, and I think I can understand the feeling of "it is a hard to develop feature. We must become sure that it will be used enough before we spend resources on it".

In the other hand, as a sole PvP player since vainilla, I can assure you that I have felt and heard the need of this feature many many times.

As a software developer I would like to remind you how many times a new development seems to be hard without any further thought, but giving it a good brainstorm conclude in an easy to implement solution.

Some ideas:

- to add more players into the arena instance without letting them fight or anything one could add them as already dead players. So, 4 example, u could add 1 spectator to each 2v2 team as a dead teammate.

- 4 the queue system u could start with something very simple like: the spectator will be called to spectate the next highest rating arena fight.

- Also we could consider the option of simply "recording" the arenas from 4 points of view and give people an in-game option to watch this streams freely switching between the 4 pov.

I hope this will encourage you to give a serious thought at how to make this feature a reality.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
...Also, given that some nice blues are being seen by this thread, I would very much appreciate a blue explanation on why skirmishes are not in the game anymore.

That was an already developed feature so, why did u took it away from the game? It was a question of servers resources? Maybe it was hurting the ranked competition? Please, explain me that, I would like to know because I miss them soooo much...
Edited by Sinsemilla on 17/11/2012 00:35 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
[mad] nothing new that blizz hate his pvp players. [/mad]

i love esport. and in the esport world there is so much you can learn from other products. just take a look at dota 2. you want to get entertained by tobiwan? np watch the stream. you want to follow dendi's awesome play? no problem, just start dota 2 (or the spec client if you haven't got a beta key) and you can enjoy awesome hooks or a carry shaker, first hand. sure with a stream you can even chat with someone you look up to, but you could do that too via other things like facebook fan pages, twitter or a forum like arenajunkies (or the official wow forums).

do you have an wow esport team?

on that how much people would use the spectator mode-topic: you just cant tell. had the same discussion few days ago with wowers and non wowers... and you just cant tell. there are so much factors. but one thing you can say: the time window for shining with a spec mode is closed. forever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]