PvP Suggestion!! 1v1 rated games!

70 Blood Elf Paladin
and something else guys.. playing a game is always about fun and imo we all can make a lot of fun in 1v1 rated like we make in duels though why dont rate it as well like we did with bgs and all! there can also be guys that dont wana go serious rating on it and just go for the fun sake like duels! for example its an hour that not many ppl are up and some player wants some duels.. he gets outside orgrimmar for example and finds none.. he can q for 1v1 and go enjoy playing! problem solved! + this will reduce the huge growd causing lag outside every major city making it impossible to duel!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Idea is good dont buther the topic, be creative. With a good system it may be work.
Reply Quote
Community
While in theory this sounds fun, the game just isn’t balanced around 1v1, not even 2v2, 3v3 is probably the most balanced bracket.
With 1v1, you could have fights that could last indefinitely, specs that wouldn’t work, everyone would probably have to switch to damage dealing specs or tanking specs (imagine double healers facing each other).
As you probably know 2v2 already has some restrictions when it comes to the rewards you can get from it exactly for the very same reason, so I wouldn’t expect 1v1 anytime soon.

But thanks for the suggestion, I do understand where this comes from, it's fun to duel, it really is, but that's why we have the duel option, but we must recognize that duelling has no place in Arenas as the game works right now, this doesn't mean that it will never happen, just that we don't currently have any plans for it, if one day we do, I’m sure that will only happen if circumstances change drastically and somehow we manage to balance PvP across all brackets with a radical new approach to it.

I know this is especially bothersome to those of you who really enjoy playing alone and prefer the 1on1 competitiveness of PvP, just like some people prefer to only do 1vs1 in RTS games, I know that some players are so competitive that when you win, you want to know that it was 100% because of you and only you and not because of your teammate, it’s nice to have total control over the fight, I get that, but still we can't put 1v1 in arenas unless we feel it’s equivalent to all the other brackets, and as I said, at the moment we don’t even feel 2v2 is equivalent to 3v3 or 5v5.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
*shudders at the thought of fighting tanks or healers in a 1v1 ranked siutation*

could be fun, would be horrendously imbalanced and probably more infuriating than all other pvp
Reply Quote
4 Dwarf Rogue
There would be too many bots.
Reply Quote
Frankly I'd rather see a personal BG rating that teams you up with and against players of similar rank in PuG Battlegrounds.

Though sadly such a system woud probably be gameable and hard to set up right.
Reply Quote
81 Orc Hunter
While in theory this sounds fun, the game just isn’t balanced around 1v1, not even 2v2, 3v3 is probably the most balanced bracket.
With 1v1, you could have fights that could last indefinitely, specs that wouldn’t work, everyone would probably have to switch to damage dealing specs or tanking specs (imagine double healers facing each other).
As you probably know 2v2 already has some restrictions when it comes to the rewards you can get from it exactly for the very same reason, so I wouldn’t expect 1v1 anytime soon.

But thanks for the suggestion, I do understand where this comes from, it's fun to duel, it really is, but that's why we have the duel option, but we must recognize that duelling has no place in Arenas as the game works right now, this doesn't mean that it will never happen, just that we don't currently have any plans for it, if one day we do, I’m sure that will only happen if circumstances change drastically and somehow we manage to balance PvP across all brackets with a radical new approach to it.

I know this is especially bothersome to those of you who really enjoy playing alone and prefer the 1on1 competitiveness of PvP, just like some people prefer to only do 1vs1 in RTS games, I know that some players are so competitive that when you win, you want to know that it was 100% because of you and only you and not because of your teammate, it’s nice to have total control over the fight, I get that, but still we can't put 1v1 in arenas unless we feel it’s equivalent to all the other brackets, and as I said, at the moment we don’t even feel 2v2 is equivalent to 3v3 or 5v5.

Bring back skirmish arenas, thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
No no no no no, people kick and scream when someone gets their backside handed to them in BG's, can you imagine the uproar in trying to balance 1v1? Every other week classes will be getting tweeked because someone will be !@#$%ing about burst, survivability or anything that stops them from victory.

The current 1v1 outside of SW and Org is enough thank you very much.
Reply Quote
MVP
100 Gnome Priest
I could see it happen, but not in a traditional Arena style.

As others have pointed out, then 1v1 is not balanced by any stretch of the imagination, so it doesn't really work to have the gameplay revolve around that.

But you could spice the gameplay up through other means, to de-emphasize the class balance.
For example, instead of a typical Nagrand Arena map, you could have maps with tank pits, trap doors, tripwires, chained tigers, mine fields, and various kinds of power-up abilities spread around, and whatever else one's imagination can come up with.
That way the gameplay is less about the individual class balance, but more about who excels best within a hazard, dangerous environment whilst fighting another player.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Paladin
19/11/2012 16:39Posted by Taepsilum

Just because it's not balanced for 1v1, doesn't mean there wouldn't be people out there who would enjoy it. You said it yourself, even 2v2 is unbalanced, yet you support that mode just fine.

If it's all about rewards (read: "welfare epics", because that's what you and the community mean here), then remove them from the "rated duels" completely. Just give a title or a feat of strength without any material rewards for the top 1% or something.

Look, here's the bottom line: if it's Blizzard's bottom line, resources, time and money that we're talking about here, if that's the reason why we can't have queued duels with a rating system, then come out and say so, and say specifically that it's exactly the reason, and nothing else.

When you make posts insinuating that "you know better", that "it's not fun" and thus we shouldn't want it, you sound like a bad parent. The fact is, you don't know better.

There are people out there who do the dumbest and craziest things simply for the reason of having fun. Don't try to pretend like only you know what's fun for people. Don't dare to tell us that the game not being balanced for 1v1 fights is any reason not to give us such a system. We are the ones who decide what's fun in your game for us, and clearly there are people out there who do enjoy dueling.

Besides, who says you have to be able to succeed in 1v1 fights with a healer. I mean really? You would queue to 1v1 fights as a healer? "Everyone's a winner, and anyone can become anything", right? That's just outright not true, and it's a mantra that should be buried.

Yeah, I can understand it if the amount of people who would find this unquestionably fun isn't high enough for your company to justify spending resources on this system, since it would take away people from other projects, and hiring people to do this would cost the company money. That's understandable, because that's how companies think.

Just don't dare to come here and tell us it's not a system that could work, or be fun.
Edited by Valkeasiipi on 19/11/2012 17:27 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
1v1 without conquest reward but maybe honor. Sure, maybe some people will enjoy it.
1v1 with conquest reward. Stupid beyond belief, how long have you played WoW, 1 month?
Fotm are free to steamroll cap while some specs are unable to even set foot into that arena.
Edited by Nethermore on 19/11/2012 17:26 GMT
Reply Quote
It strikes me that one thing is missing from the duelling scene that could answer OP's desire for some 1v1 action almost as well: cross-faction duelling.

Why not have a cross faction duelling ring in one or more of the sanctuary locations, where players from both sides can enter a list maintained by a neutral NPC and be paired off subject to agreement from both after inspecting each others class, spec, gear and level? Combat within the duelling ring would not activate the sanctuary's enforcers whereas to prevent unpleasantness any display of aggression outside it should lead to a ganking by the guards that one wouldn't even wish on Garrosh Hellscream.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I could see it happen, but not in a traditional Arena style.

As others have pointed out, then 1v1 is not balanced by any stretch of the imagination, so it doesn't really work to have the gameplay revolve around that.

But you could spice the gameplay up through other means, to de-emphasize the class balance.
For example, instead of a typical Nagrand Arena map, you could have maps with tank pits, trap doors, tripwires, chained tigers, mine fields, and various kinds of power-up abilities spread around, and whatever else one's imagination can come up with.
That way the gameplay is less about the individual class balance, but more about who excels best within a hazard, dangerous environment whilst fighting another player.

Wouldnt it be better to just stick with PvE then....

This is a nothing suggestion. Blizzard will never make 1v1 rated arena or whatever you wish to call it for the simple fact as a mentioned above.

Click someones name plate, press the "duel" button and viola 1v1.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Paladin
19/11/2012 17:27Posted by Lightgiver

Yeah, or click "queue to duel", and voila, 1v1.

I fail to see the difference.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Yeah, or click "queue to duel", and voila, 1v1.

I fail to see the difference.

Exactly, so why are people kicking up a fuss about something they already have.

Go to Nagrand arena and duel someone to get a real feel of 1v1.

Im sorry but i cant even believe people are even considering this, no wonder WPVP is on its árse.
Edited by Lightgiver on 19/11/2012 18:51 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I disagree. 1vs1 could work. Limit it to ONLY allowing DPS specs to join up. We already have fights that last indefininitely at 2vs2. How would this change in 1vs1? I've fought x2 healers in 2vs2 and they can be unbeatable. Same with fighting a tank+healer team. This didn't rule out 2vs2 from the game though. So why is it ruling out 1vs1?

And to people saying we can already have duels. Duels aren't rated. We can't climb a ladder with duels. Arenas make it official, and add rewards.

Yeah there will be inbalance, there is always some extent of imbalance anyway, as we only know too well.

This is genius.
Edited by Teldrassius on 19/11/2012 19:23 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

This is genius.

This is what turns a great game into something its not.

Be careful of the seeds you sow is all i will say on this matter.
Reply Quote
92 Human Priest
19/11/2012 12:10Posted by Thravia
It's an MMO, hence, massive multiplayer online.

Your point being what exactly?

2v2 is only 4 players, not exactly a massive amount.
3v3 is only 6 players, not exactly a massive amount.
5v5 is only 10 players, not exactly a massive amount.

By your logic we shouldn't even have 10 man raids either.

1v1 is still multi-player however Blizzard themselves have said that PvP is not balanced around 1v1. I am not sure exactly what it is actually balanced around, probably whatever class is ghostcrawlers favourite at that time :p
Reply Quote
70 Blood Elf Paladin
i agree to the ppl that are reffering to it in a positive way that it could exist like 2v2 does with maybe some limited rewards out of it since the non balanced subject comes in front! some other guys said that this could exist only for dps'es which gives a better balance as well and deletes the healer's worries! and another thing that is clear to all is that MANY THINGS in the game are NOT BALANCED but EXIST so why not the 1v1 as well?? but still IT CAN EXIST under these conditions and since that its rly clear i guess that the money that should be invested is the prob for blizzard here like someone said.. u guys working there should try to find ways to please all of ur customers not some and partly some others! as for the guys that are so negative about it my opinion is that u guys are just afraid of facing others in 1v1 cos u dont believe much in ur skills and abilities! u guys are like some others outside Org or SW that have 2000000 ratings in rbgs or whetever and refuse to duel cos they are chicken that cant do a thing if they dont have another 10 ppl on their back! or u are like some other guys that have the 2000000 ratings and in duel u just dont know what to do and u play so badly that ppl wonder where u got that rating from and then u try to play great and whine around by showing off achivs but at the end u dont even know how to play depending on ur abilities and not on someone's else abilities and skills!
Edited by Ppalloua on 20/11/2012 08:51 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
19/11/2012 16:39Posted by Taepsilum
but still we can't put 1v1 in arenas unless we feel it’s equivalent to all the other brackets, and as I said, at the moment we don’t even feel 2v2 is equivalent to 3v3 or 5v5.

So why is 2v2 still in the game if this is Blizzards reasoning? You might aswell put 1v1 in aswell, since it's not as balanced as 3v3, but neither is 2v2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]